Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Probably asking a question that has been asked a million times before..but how do you protect a very expensive road bike from theft?
its light and easy to steal. Is it possible to fit storage to the roof of a motorhome ? (ours is an old autotrail chieftan...no garage, but storage area under bed.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nothing is totally secure, any number of locks are only a deterrent.

If it is so precious you can't afford to loose it then dismantle it and put it one of those bags you can get for flying or travelling. Something like this: Broken Link Removed

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Alarm lock? I'm just thinking if there are several chains on each bike and the alarm triggers on first movement, hopefully thieves wouldn't have time to get all chains off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Sue

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Our bikes are pretty basic so we just lock them to the rack if we're out without them but if our son and his mates us the RV for a cycling weekend they bring the bikes inside when they go out or sleep.have a bike cover and he removes the wheels and covers it up and either lays it on the floor or puts it in the bathroom and shuts the door. Still not fool proof as I think would be thieves can watch you and take the opportunity when you're out. Luckily our son doesn't come with us often.Good luck finding a solution.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Our two ebikes cost over 6k. We have a busbiker NL steel swing out bike rack on our panel van and have fitted a ground anchor to the rack. Use a heavy pragmasis motorbike chain and security lock. With extra touring locks and bikes covered we feel resonably confident that we are OK, with the caveat that equipped professional thieves would have them away..and that's what insurance is for!

More likely to get nicked from garage at home and why I keep mine in the hall....even if I had a van with garage I would still fit a ground anchor through floor to chassis and use chain.

I wouldn't dream of putting them on a flimsy aluminium rack:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Our two ebikes cost over 6k. We have a busbiker NL steel swing out bike rack on our panel van and have fitted a ground anchor to the rack. Use a heavy pragmasis motorbike chain and security lock. With extra touring locks and bikes covered we feel resonably confident that we are OK, with the caveat that equipped professional thieves would have them away..and that's what insurance is for!

More likely to get nicked from garage at home and why I keep mine in the hall....even if I had a van with garage I would still fit a ground anchor through floor to chassis and use chain.

I wouldn't dream of putting them on a flimsy aluminium rack:(
thanks...some good ideas here

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thanks...some good ideas here
your situation easier, with a light road bike I would remove wheels and store it inside somewhere..under the bed?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hubby ultra keen cyclist...bike means more to him than I do and biking is his passion...so this is a no go!

fair comment and fully understand.. used to take an expensive mountain bike myself.. until someone else's need was greater than mine.. and relieved me of it :mad:
they cut through heavy motorcycle security chain while we were asleep .. discarded the two other cheap bikes and took mine..

presumably he has it insured for traveling in the motorhome.. ?

if at all possible keep it inside the van.. at all times.. don't leave out overnight or chained to railings while shopping.. even with the best motorbike security chain it will be a target and if not taken... damaged when they try to cut loose .. sorry.. but that is how it is. ..small cordless angle grinders are cheap and can open any lock

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Given the apparent cost of the bike, is it worth changing the motorhome for one with a garage? :LOL:
After all other considerations including chains that would not look out of place in the Tower of London, it might be worth getting a Vanbitz Strikeback alarm fitted (if you don't already have one) as that includes a bike-rack loop as part of the van's alarm system.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Given the apparent cost of the bike, is it worth changing the motorhome for one with a garage?

even in a garage it won't be safe... the thieves are out looking for expansive bikes, follow you and watch where they are stored .. a motorhome garage is easier to open than a tin of sardines..

an alarm will deter.. but inside is best.. handcuffed to your ankle while you sleep.. :LOL:

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
even in a garage it won't be safe... the thieves are out looking for expansive bikes, follow you and watch where they are stored or kept .. a motorhome garage is easier to open than a tin of sardines..

an alarm will deter.. but inside is best.. handcuffed to your ankle while you sleep.. :LOL:
:):unsure: if I suggest this to hubby, its probably just what he will do!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back