Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hi guys , can I run my dual output regulator just to my leisure battery until I can find a way to get a wire to my cab battery ? .
Also , I have a 120watt solar panel which comes down to a 6 way fuse block , then the regulator (10amp ) .Is a 10amp fuse correct to protect regulator ? . Thanks in advance .

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks for the reply pappajohn , just a fuse to isolate panel ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_125400.jpg
    IMG_20150301_125400.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 47

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Sounds about right, your panel can go straight into the regulator or via a fuse/switch, but the regulator should be self protected from an overload / short on the panel so not needed, then you need a fuse as near to the battery as possible to protect the wiring from the battery to the regulator and the regulator itself, the regulator should be rated to the panel, as said 10amp sounds about right for the regulator/panel but the regulator could be higher to give the option of more panels in the future.
The regulator should be fine left open circuit on the second battery output just don't short it out.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hi guys , can I run my dual output regulator just to my leisure battery until I can find a way to get a wire to my cab battery ? .
Also , I have a 120watt solar panel which comes down to a 6 way fuse block , then the regulator (10amp ) .Is a 10amp fuse correct to protect regulator ? . Thanks in advance .

I had a similar situation and had no problems connecting one output of the dual output regulator to the leisure battery until I had the time to run a separate fused supply to the engine start battery.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
OK ,controller is 20amp . wired in panel and connected to hab battery only . showing charging , albeit at a low rate due to cloudiness . remote panel shows a red error light which the instruction book says is because only one battery connected .happy days , now the hard part , finding a way from controller to cab battery .

@Bluestar , the length of 4mm cable from fuse box to hab battery is about 2 foot , should I still fit an inline fuse on positive cable near battery as well ?

Last edited:

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
I went under the van with my cable, run in convoluted conduit to my to my hab batteries. earth and live from the regulator.
Depends about fuse...... belt and braces, if anything were to happen or to short that cable you would put the whole amperage from your battery down to earth not good . if there were NO chance of anything shorting then not so important I would have run the regulator direct to the battery with the in line fuse at the battery end
With a 20amp controller you could add another panel at a later date if you wanted/

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Under the van is an option that I've looked at as battery box is suspended in cab floor and has access from below , just got to avoid getting too close to exhaust . I will add the inline fuse as a short would technically be possible as all the electric wiring and charger etc are down there , as you say belt and braces . thanks again .

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Not an expert but happy to help, give us a heads up when all up and running,
I ran my conduit along the chassis rails with cable ties, yes plastic conduit, exhaust, not good :)

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
OK , all now up and running perfectly . fused next to both batteries . I ran cable to cab battery under drivers seat across under cab insulated floor for 4 inches and down into battery box , all neat and tidy .

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks , it is new to be fair . it will be kept clean though as I like to look after things ( see other threads regarding cleaning or not cleaning your van ! )

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Colin,
Where did you source those smart corner brackets for the solar panel?

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
EBay , £17.90 . if you can't find them , let me know and I'll see who the seller is .

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Help , at night my remote Meter for my duo battery solar controller shows the batteries half full , but during the day the batteries are shown as full via flashing led bars . is this right or is something wrong ? . thanks in advance .

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Help , at night my remote Meter for my duo battery solar controller shows the batteries half full , but during the day the batteries are shown as full via flashing led bars . is this right or is something wrong ? . thanks in advance .

I also have the extension meter but I tend not to sit and watch it at night as I do during the day, however I know that whatever juice I had used the previous evening, the battery bank is full up by the time I emerge in the morning. It is then down to 13.8V and .5A - 1A as there is no load for it to produce. Where the unused power then goes I haven't the foggiest. When I did an early morning vigil after a heavy evening night drain It peaked at 8.8A and that wasn't anywhere exotic, but I did have the van nose down to catch the rays.
I don't think these meters are particularly "fine" scientific instruments ! :whistle:

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks for your reply , I will keep an eye on it , I may even go out at night to have a look ! . when I use the van properly next week I may understand the system better .

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I may understand the system better

My guess is your batteries need a full charge, then the meter readings will come right.

Earlier on in your thread were you fixing up a Clive Motts bridging fuse charging system for the Veh batt ? I did that and it works well. They scoff at it on this site. If you don't spend £90 on a B2B system it aint right !! ;)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Be careful connecting the two battery banks to the controller.
Whilst many controllers have two or three outputs they tend to be the same charging algorithm that you set.

This means that if you have For instance Gel batteries in the cabin and lead acid for the vehicle, the vehicle batteries will soon cook and be destroyed as they will be over charged.

If the two banks are same type of battery then the voltage will be fine if set correctly and thing will work perfectly.

Neil.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Moodybrook , I think you may well be right about the full charge . the Clive Mott's bridging fuse wasn't me , I merely have a six way fuse block that protects the controller and the cabling to the batteries ( I saw the idea on a thread by somebody else on here ) . thanks for your help .

Pat4neil , the hab battery was indeed gel ( 80a/h ) , changed to lead acid ( 120 a/h ) . both are now lead acid and the charger switched to lead acid . thanks for the help .

Colin .

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
I connected a duo controller last week. MT1
The instructions are terrible. I have 2x120Ah leisure batteries plus the van battery.

The controller when set to bat1 (leisure) gives a flashing reading of 14.9max then 12.5 min. then 31Ah.
Bat2 (van) 14.8 max. 12.5 min. 13A
Clear as mud

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Yes the instructions are pretty useless . the mt1 meter showed the van battery full yesterday , then half full , but charging ,today . it is confusing but hopefully all will become clearer , if not masking tape over the confusing display !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back