LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I had a good look at both the i pad and the Samsung galaxy 10 , there is not a lot in it but the galaxy edged it for me , I found it more useful for my job than the i pad ,I've had the original my and the galaxy 3 and 4 , my employers were so impressed by the labour saving and efficiency of my galaxy 10 inch tablet that they bought every engineer in the company a galaxy tab 4 , I'm using it at the moment to type this message , for Internet access it's very convenient

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm thinking of one of these Amazon but not too sure on the battery life. If you buy from Currys Samsung have a £100 & £50 cashback scheme if you send in your old tablet. See their T&Cs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My opinion, the iPad is just an expensive browser not much good for anything else, I know the boss has one you can't even find where it stores files.
The Galaxy Tab is a proper tablet that is useable, and a lot cheaper, can't really go wrong the Tab is a far better & cheaper device.
The only thing Apple make worth buying is the ipod and then you are stuck with using that awful iTunes program.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Know nothing of the iPad but being an Android fan the Galaxy 10" does it for me. Battery life compared with my Mini S3 is light years ahead, lasts for days. I had an option of a SIM slot or a Huawei with it and chose the latter for the 5 connection option but wish now I'd gone for the SIM. But no problem with the mifi as it can sit anywhere in the van or in the wife's handbag elsewhere, just got to remember to take it with us.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No! dont get an ipad we have one and its rubbish compared to my sons new l samsung Galaxy S and a third of the price! (£220)

plus you can buy an adapter to plug into the mini USB that allows you to plug in full size USB (ipad owners weep). Great for watching movies/TV programs of a portable hard drive...whatever. or you can download stuff straight onto it as well instead of faffing about with itunes! :(

and as said above battery life light years ahead

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have had a Samsung note 10.2 for nearly 3 years. Great bit of kit. I also have a Samsung s5 that has run out on contract. My heart says upgrade to a Samsung s6 now but my head says hang on until September and get the new Note 5 phablet that will replace both my tablet and my phone.

My advice is to hang on a few months and get yourself the best option that will be on the market, phone and tablet in one box.(y)
My fair lady has a iphone 6 and a ipad mini both are fantastic bits of kit and she loves them but for me the Note 5 is my next goal. Ask JJ he will put you right.:)

Last edited:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you have a smartphone, you can hook it up to the galaxy , no need for a mifi, there's a setting in most smart phones that allows mobile network tethering , so don't buy a Huawei device if you have a smart phone

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have a smartphone, you can hook it up to the galaxy , no need for a mifi, there's a setting in most smart phones that allows mobile network tethering , so don't buy a Huawei device if you have a smart phone
I have advocated this on here many times, but it's ok with O2 and some others but if you have the 3 sim it won't alow tethering with your phone BUT I have found , if you put a three sim into a huawei dongle it tethers no problem;)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My experience also @chaser, I have a far bigger allowance on the Tab than I do on the phone which I always found too small (physically) to bother with anyway as far as browsing was concerned.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I have advocated this on here many times, but it's ok with O2 and some others but if you have the 3 sim it won't alow tethering with your phone BUT I have found , if you put a three sim into a huawei dongle it tethers no problem;)

I'm sitting in Huawei, office right now , they have bought a research company in Cambridge ☺ guess I'd better not shout about smart phone hook ups to loudly

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I would suggest that you check all the reviews, I did and while the Samsung is very good, almost every reviewer came down on putting the iPad in front. One of the great things is now you can comfortably see the screen in bright sunshine. I had an iPad 2 and said I would try the Samsung next time I changed, but in the end bought a ipad air 2 and unless you have tried that against the Samsung, I dont think you can really say which is better, the new air 2 is blooming fast.

After using my 16 gig iPad for 2/3 years, I never ever ran out of space, because almost everything goes on One Drive.....yes I know....they can check up on you if you put stuff on the cloud.....well help yourself, cos at my age if you can find anything interesting, please PLEASE tell me, I could do with some excitement!!!!:D

Got mine in Spain and paid in Euros, bought it with UK bank card and paid £299.50 much better than the £399 in UK (y)

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I have seen ipad 'air' and a Samsung 10.1 tablet. I prefer the ipad because it's a lot lighter. The ipad is an ideal web browser. The Samsung however is capable of much more with its built-in pen and the benefit of not being limited by apples restrictive operating system. If you decide on an iPad buy it from Apple direct - they sell 'refurbished' items that are like new with a full guarantee.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No problem here.

I just tethered my Samsung tab 3 to my android phone using a 3 payg sim and am writing this while connected thus

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
No! dont get an ipad we have one and its rubbish compared to my sons new l samsung Galaxy S and a third of the price! (£220)

plus you can buy an adapter to plug into the mini USB that allows you to plug in full size USB (ipad owners weep). Great for watching movies/TV programs of a portable hard drive...whatever. or you can download stuff straight onto it as well instead of faffing about with itunes! :(

and as said above battery life light years ahead

Why would you think that we can't get a USB adapter for our ipads?
Oh and HDMI too!

I like iTunes too!

:cooler:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
ipad 16 gb in the shop had a look 6gb of space left on it no sd card slot.
I have a tab pro 10.1
Broken Link Removed they were a lot more than this but reduced due to new models

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just bought the Google Nexus 9 to replace my el cheapo 10" chinese tab which has now gone to mothers tender care.

I am finding it seriously useful. I did try the Apple alternatives a few times over the years and didn't get on with their control freakery.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm still contemplating the successor to my IPad 2, the latest iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5. The Which site seems to rate them neck & neck. Part of me thinks stay with what you know, Apple (we have iPhones and iMac as well as PC devices), but then another part is now bored with such and desires change.

For those who have gone with the Korean option, what are the battery life and charging times like? I've seen reviews with people citing their disappointment with both (short battery time coupled with long charging time).

Anybody compared both head to head for any significant duration?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When you compare, remember that the NEW iPad air 2 has 2 gig or ram making it MUCH faster than the iPad Air 1. People say, well it only has 16 gig of space and you haven't got a USB plug , but how many people have actually run out of space, not many I would suggest. I run 4 websites and when I am away from my computer I can run them all, I run a few games, and have newspapers and lots of other stuff on this Air 2 and on my previous iPad 2 both of which are 16 gig, so my guess is that the ordinary everyday user would not use all of the 16 gig. I think it is the same as desktops and laptops, lots of people go for massive hard drives thinking that they need it and then use very little.

Just my opinion, I am sure that lots of people are very happy with the Samsung's, I know that I was until I read loads of reviews.

Which ever way you go, the best of luck and enjoy!:)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I'm still contemplating the successor to my IPad 2, the latest iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5. The Which site seems to rate them neck & neck. Part of me thinks stay with what you know, Apple (we have iPhones and iMac as well as PC devices), but then another part is now bored with such and desires change.

For those who have gone with the Korean option, what are the battery life and charging times like? I've seen reviews with people citing their disappointment with both (short battery time coupled with long charging time).

Anybody compared both head to head for any significant duration?

I did have (at the same time) a Samsung 2 and an iPad 2 and the Samsung lasted just as long with battery life but took forever to recharge, the iPad charging was MUCH quicker.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use a Samsung Tab S 10.1 and find it great. Mine's paired with the Logitech bluetooth keyboard and I use it as a laptop replacement.

I held off getting a tablet for years as I couldn't see the point in one (I have a PC in my van anyway plus a Note 3 phone) but I now use it all the time.

It's even better now that MS Office is available for tablets along with Adobe Lightroom.

Can't recommend the Samsung highly enough.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting, call it media bias if you like, but I can't find a tech site review comparison in which the iPad Air 2 does not come out on top. That said, such reviews can be subjective and at the end of the day it's down to personal requirements and preference. I may go hands on tyre kicking in JL this weekend to try and arrive at a decision...

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Interesting, call it media bias if you like, but I can't find a tech site review comparison in which the iPad Air 2 does not come out on top. That said, such reviews can be subjective and at the end of the day it's down to personal requirements and preference. I may go hands on tyre kicking in JL this weekend to try and arrive at a decision...

Yes, it could be media bias. I found the same results as you, I think a lot of it is that the Ipad has always been " It does what it say on the tin" type of pad, it gives you what most users want and need and does it very well. Lots of people think of that as restrictive and think that they need more, to break out, have more...but as I have said in other posts, most actually don't need more and are not sure what to do with it when they get it. As I say, just my opinion.

Oh, and for me, I wanted to use my pad outside in the sun sometimes and the both my iPad 2 and Samsung 2 I couldn't see in the sun but the new iPad air 2 has solved that problem the new Samsung hasn't, so for me that was a big plus in my decision

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Appears you can only get a SIM enabled Samsung Tab S 10.5 directly from Samsung, who have it on offer but are currently out of stock of the only colour worth buying (can't live with white), or Carphone Warehouse, who will not be getting my business.
Is this the Apple gravitation drawing me in yet again...

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
deleted .. new thread started..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun