Eyesight When did you last check yours (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just thought I would bring the subject of eyesight and driving, when was the last time you checked if your eyesight meets the requirements for driving.

This is the requirement taken direct from the government web site for taking your driving test.

The distance requirement for the eyesight test using old style number plates is 20.5 metres or 20 metres if the new-style number plate is used. New-style number plates are easily identifiable starting with two letters e.g. AB 51 ABC.

Can you honestly meet these requirements, if you haven't checked lately check yourself tomorrow it only takes a few minutes to pace out the distance, please try it and if you have any problems go to your opticians, please only its not only your life you are putting at risk, is everybody else, so take 5 minutes and check.

I don't believe that the normal eyesight tests take into account the requirement for driving unless you request it or it comes up in part of the discussion

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am OK, just come back from having left eye zapped with a lazer after a cataract op couple of years ago.

BRILLIANT, dont really need glasses no more................. spring chicken now.

Peter

davida

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
Exp
Yes and thats only if your driving under weight vehicles,
Eyesight is tested both with and without correction for over weight vehicle.
Beware any of you people wanting to upgrade your licence as a failure on the eyesight test for an HGV licence, but you able to meet the car requirements means your licence would be downgraded to 3.5 tons only.:Doh::Doh::Doh:
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes and thats only if your driving under weight vehicles,
Eyesight is tested both with and without correction for over weight vehicle.
Beware any of you people wanting to upgrade your licence as a failure on the eyesight test for an HGV licence, but you able to meet the car requirements means your licence would be downgraded to 3.5 tons only.:Doh::Doh::Doh:
Dave

so whats the point in that then........

if thats the case then the whole test would be pointless.
if you NEED specs to drive then you would probably fail without them.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Being Diabetic, I get mine done every year for FREE :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Upto recently, I ran a large opticians store but was made redundant.

I still have all my contacts for lenses and can have most old frames re-glazed. So if you want a good deal send me a PM

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
just wait till you try walking about in varifocals for the very first
time and the ground comes up to meet you
wont tell you what two pair cost
Mine are Pentax varifoculs, plastic, and photochromic. My spare pair are the same. I know what 2 pairs cost!!!!:cry:

davida

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
Exp
so whats the point in that then........

if thats the case then the whole test would be pointless.
if you NEED specs to drive then you would probably fail without them.
Probably for the same reason that pilots have two pairs if you lose them while driving you can see enough to bring the vehicle to safe a stop and get you spare pair on.

Dave

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
eye sight

Can read plate at twice that distance,so guess i am ok.
I do find that after a few drinks i can see the plate twice:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:#
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Probably for the same reason that pilots have two pairs if you lose them while driving you can see enough to bring the vehicle to safe a stop and get you spare pair on.

Dave

so.....your goggles fall off while driving, you can read the numberplate of the vehicle in front as you brake so you can tell your insurers the number after you hit him/her 'cos you where concentrating on reading the plate. :ROFLMAO:

why do you need to read a PLATE without glasses when being able to see far enough to be safe should suffice?

i can see clear as a bell 100 meters down the road without my goggles but i have trouble reading roadsigns and forget the dashboard, thats just a bit of plastic with some shapes on it.

davida

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
Exp
You dont need to read a number plate you just have to to be able to see a minimum to make you safe.
I have reasonable vision without glasses in my right eye but in my left eye I struggle to make the minimum requirements which is very low.
Does it matter as I am not going to drive without glasses, but what if some yobbo hurls a brick from a bridge or a bird hits the screen and come through.
Dont ask me how I know about that.
It can happen

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back