This spontaneous lifestyle (not) (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We're quite new to the MH world, just 2 years ownership. We're CC members mainly because we use their storage facility close to home. We've used their sites before - no surprises, no complaints. Now retired, we decided to take a break from decorating and go away for a few days, preferably somewhere with some easy cycling nearby. I remember reading about Baltic Wharf in Bristol but it seems they're booked up until next January. Really??? Do people really plan their trips and stays a year in advance? That's something we weren't expecting.

Karen

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Nip over to France instead.
10 days on a CC site @ £25 ish per night will come to about £250.
P&O Dover to Calais approx. £100 return. Aires from free to just a few Euros, fuel cheaper than the UK, roads quieter, wine cheaper.....need I go on?
In Sussex you are close to Dover or the tunnel.....go for it. You know it makes sense. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Nip over to France instead.
You know it makes sense. ;)

Right now for a break of a few days we need to stay in this country (may be called for family matters). We'll be visiting France etc in the coming months/years (not that we've any concrete plans yet. Again, we haven't tended to plan very far in advance.

Karen

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I remember reading about Baltic Wharf in Bristol but it seems they're booked up until next January. Really???

It's closing this year. :(:( Could be the reason it's fully booked. It always was very busy, with booking advised in the December of the preceding year.

Information
As a result of support received from Bristol City Council, it has been confirmed that The Club will remain at Baltic Wharf Club Site until the end of August 2015

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
If thinking of this country, try the cl's or cs's 5 van sites , much better than club sites not so busy, but as clarky say's get over to france no booking of aires just go with the flow.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
If you go on their website it will show late availability for the next few weekends - not sure if that helps at all.

I agree with Taran_Las, the booking system allows members to book without having to pay a deposit and I suppose if you are tied to weekends the temptation is to book up a few at a time.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I am booked at Sandy Balls Fordingbridge next week. £10 a night. Pub, pool walks. £60 a night at peak times.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
We're quite new to the MH world, just 2 years ownership. We're CC members mainly because we use their storage facility close to home. We've used their sites before - no surprises, no complaints. Now retired, we decided to take a break from decorating and go away for a few days, preferably somewhere with some easy cycling nearby. I remember reading about Baltic Wharf in Bristol but it seems they're booked up until next January. Really??? Do people really plan their trips and stays a year in advance? That's something we weren't expecting.

Karen
I wanted to book in there, and phoned on the morning of the first bookings - lines were engaged till mid morning by which time everything was fully booked. Same with the London sites :( Apparently folk book way ahead, then just cancel a few days before if they need to ????

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Karen
I think this only applies to a small number of sites. It isn't typical.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I never plan anything more than 24 hours in advance, just in case I dont make it through the night.

Agree with that... Although the less money you leave the less the family can fight over it:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I tend to book the same morning or perhaps the day before, Baltic Wharf is the only one I've ever not been able to get a pitch. I could hear the laughter on the other end of the phone.
If you want to do cycling, have you been following this thread:
Broken Link Removed
Or maybe the new Forest?

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !

Karen
We could not get in either Baltic Wharf or Bath Chew valley. So went to the CC ( don't think it is CCC) club CL site in Bath, just above the park and ride, but also very near a direct bus into Bristol. Spent the day in Bristol and took the bus back to Bath, very nice 3 days out and about. There were really good cycle routes from this site and we will book soon to take advantage of that as well.
The booking system is different in both clubs, and I am not sure if either work really well for spontaneous days away. On the other hand it makes us really look at CL sites and they are often real value.

Err this is the second time I have written about this site- I'm not related to the owners at all !!!!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
that is the reason we left the CC. arrived at the York site sat morn site halve empty. would not let us in was fully booked. stayed at a club site. went into York the next morning site was still halve empty. no wonder they keep putting up prices.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
If you want to do cycling, have you been following this thread:
Broken Link Removed

Thanks CWH some good suggestions in there. We're glad to hear spontaneity is not dead.

Karen

Reactions: CWH

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Try Minnows Caravan Park, Tiverton. Devon. right by the canal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back