Anyone use Ski Blades / Short Skis? (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
As thread title.

Are they any good? Will I be ridiculed for using them?

With all the skiing threads going on it's got me thinking that I'd like to combine a van trip with a skiing trip. We ski probably every couple of years at the moment but would like to do more and to be honest winter is actually when we can get away in the van, so it would all work out nicely.

We've often thought of getting our own skis (have got boots) but the whole transportation issue (either flying or in our pvc) has put us off. However, ski blades would get around this and I've read that they are easier for the irregular user and intermediate skiers stuck in a rut (we fall into both groups really). I suspect that if we had all our own kit we would do a lot more and save cash on rental in the long run too.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Ive used them several times always being asked why by the ski hire shops on each occasion. they are easier to use as long as you are able to use your weight for balance
and dont need sticks however last time in france they didnt have them so we went back to regular skis/sticks which to be honest were more versatile and you had to ski better and was more relaxing on the steeper runs hope this helps

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Paul (Haganap) is an exponent of wearing toddler's skis I believe!:reel:

You are right about the convenience a motorhome brings. We all have our own kit and having familiarity with that kit helps a lot.
Even just not having to queue at the hire shop is a bonus, let alone knowing you won't catch someone else's fungal nail infection!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
regular skis/sticks which to be honest were more versatile and you had to ski better and was more relaxing on the steeper runs hope this helps

I did read that regular skis were more relaxing on steeper slopes, which is why I think at the moment I'm erring towards the compromise of a short ski in the region of 125cm - sticks a bit better on the steeper slopes and on ice than the blades but has a shorter turn than the 160cm+ that we usually end up with when we rent. They would still fit comfortably in our 'boot' as well. Though some of the youtube vids on the short blades without poles look great fun.

Paul (Haganap) is an exponent of wearing toddler's skis I believe!:reel:

See - This is exactly what I mean by will I be ridiculed?:)

@haganap - how have you got on with them?

let alone knowing you won't catch someone else's fungal nail infection!::bigsmile:

Just one of the reasons that we bought our own boots a few years ago:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
In all seriousness, we saw plenty of people using blades whilst in the Alps last week. They seem popular still and you certainly reduce the risk of bad twists to the knee in a crash.
My only reservations, as a regular skier, would be that they would lack versatility. They look great fun on groomers, but you wouldn't have the option to play in the pow just off the piste. Also are they able to provide enough stability when the popular runs become mogulled?

Hopefully someone who uses them will come along soon to bust any myths and misconceptions us regular skiers might have!:)

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
In all seriousness, we saw plenty of people using blades whilst in the Alps last week. They seem popular still and you certainly reduce the risk of bad twists to the knee in a crash.
My only reservations, as a regular skier, would be that they would lack versatility. They look great fun on groomers, but you wouldn't have the option to play in the pow just off the piste. Also are they able to provide enough stability when the popular runs become mogulled?

This is why I'm thinking maybe a short ski of say 125 would give us more versatility than the very short blades.

Might have to go and peruse a couple of ski forums though hopefully haganap will pop by at some point.

January is the best month for us to take our 'long' holiday break of about 3 weeks which is why I'd like to incorporate skiing into it. And we'd both much rather have all our own kit, as you say it's so much easier, but we can only manage that if we have a shorter ski of some description.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On the subject of turns, even though quite large sidecut radii are quoted on ski specs, many of the newer rockered designs will turn on a dime even without a pole plant.
I bought some Rossignol Expeience 84 skis for this year. They have 133-84-120 profile with a 16m radius. They have quite a bit of rocker at either end and just unweighting the uphill ski makes them turn on the spot. They work fantastically in the bumps and powder without having the tendancy to catch their tails, even in the 178cm length I need. The upturned tails mean skiing switch is possible too. However, when the going gets powdery, they have sufficient surface area to keep even me afloat at 95kg!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its a shame you have to compromise on the performance of your skis based on storage space. Could a ski box on the roof help out?
Another concern might be the suitability of your PVC at low Alpine temperatures, is your van up to the job?

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Its a shame you have to compromise on the performance of your skis based on storage space. Could a ski box on the roof help out?
Another concern might be the suitability of your PVC at low Alpine temperatures, is your van up to the job?

I had considered fitting roof bars and box but would rather do without the hassle of clambering up top, and I think we might enjoy the ease of shorter skis as frankly we're not that great! We'll do easy red slopes but that's our limit on our own.

Our van is an Adria Twin with internal fresh water and hab battery and just the grey water tank is external so we'd just decant straight into a container. I've also fitted a refillable gas system so no worries on topping that up either if we get through a bit. And I do keep meaning to invest in a proper SilverScreen.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have used them when messing about with the kids when they were learning.

Great fun I thought and less stuff to carry round ( poles).

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would imagine Adria do a good job at insulating their PVCs. I asked because some PVCs have very little in the way of insulation! If not, you can always turn up the heater!
When you buy your silverscreens, it might be worth getting full length ones to cover the whole cab. We bought ours online from Camper Bro Shop in Italy for about £280. We bought the Cover Tech ones. It splits so that the full length part need not be used in warmer climes. Another make worth looking at is Hindermann. They look top quality but are quite expensive.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
In all seriousness, we saw plenty of people using blades whilst in the Alps last week. They seem popular still and you certainly reduce the risk of bad twists to the knee in a crash.:)

If you do get some make sure they have good ski type bindings.

I have used them when the missus was getting back into skiing after an ACL operation. My comments would be that they teach you a lot about fore/aft balance. You will get dumped a couple of times before you're able to link turns. They feel hopelessly unstable if you have them on anything approaching "normal" edge angles. Crank 'em up on edge. Ditch the poles. They have a ridiculously short turning radius, so you really have to stay dead center on them -- which again gets back to the fore/aft balance thing.

Firm surfaces work best. Take 'em out first thing in the morning on the groomers. Snowplowing or sideslipping to a stop on them is an exercise in futility, so you have to turn them uphill -- make sure you have some space around you.

Personally I would always choose to ski - a much more versatile weapon. From the description you have given as to why you are considering them - I think you maybe coming at them with the wrong idea, if you think to how you have seen people on them they are not being timid - you need to use them aggressively.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think I'm too old to try the short ski's as I still remember my 203 ones!!!. I think the modern waisted skis are great so easy to use and still run well so easy to carve. We don't buy our own as the rental almost equals the carriage charge on the cheap airlines. This year used skimium rental ( linked to decathlon ) top of the range skis about 80 euros a week brand new.

David

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think I'm too old to try the short ski's as I still remember my 203 ones!!!. I think the modern waisted skis are great so easy to use and still run well so easy to carve. We don't buy our own as the rental almost equals the carriage charge on the cheap airlines. This year used skimium rental ( linked to decathlon ) top of the range skis about 80 euros a week brand new.

David
I know what you mean - I think when I first started skiing the skis were as tall as me and now they are a good 10-15cm shorter than me depending on what the rental assistant thinks I should have!

The last few times we've skied we've combined it with a trip to see our friends (in Spain near Andorra), and we worked out that since we had driven (not in camper van though) it would've worked out cheaper over the trips if we'd bought the skis.

At the moment I'm leaning toward something like the salomon short kart (a mid length short ski) with proper release bindings. They'd store in the van easily enough and theoretically we'd get back into the swing of things quicker than on regular skis. If we don't get on with them (or get laughed at too much) we'll sell them and go back to renting again.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If you do get some make sure they have good ski type bindings.
Yep - I had spotted that they are available with full release or non release. Both myself and the OH are prone to moments of supreme biffness so full release all the way!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have short skis and blades and a snow board and "real skis" I use the blades all the time now on piste off piste moguls ice you name it. ..
This is because mine are very wide even though 99cm long.

There is literally nothing I can not do on them that i couldn't on ski's.

Its not a shame to use them...i prefer them and only the ski v blade v snowboard v what look cool will say anything about it and in to old and ugly to care (ok I ain't old)

Btw I use them with non release bindings they are fixed proper in and I've had loads of crashes even on high speed blacks with little or no damage although I did have a nasty winding after landing on my back over a jump ...

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks haganap - good to have the opinion of someone who regularly uses them. I think I'd probably stick with release bindings simply because of our level of skiing (read that as clumsiness!!!)

Out of interest do you use poles with your blades or short skis? For what they cost and room they take up I'll probably just get some anyway.

I tried boarding but never really got it. I think it's probably that I didn't give enough time to it to get the hang of it properly.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I know what you mean - I think when I first started skiing the skis were as tall as me and now they are a good 10-15cm shorter than me depending on what the rental assistant thinks I should have!

The last few times we've skied we've combined it with a trip to see our friends (in Spain near Andorra), and we worked out that since we had driven (not in camper van though) it would've worked out cheaper over the trips if we'd bought the skis.

At the moment I'm leaning toward something like the salomon short kart (a mid length short ski) with proper release bindings. They'd store in the van easily enough and theoretically we'd get back into the swing of things quicker than on regular skis. If we don't get on with them (or get laughed at too much) we'll sell them and go back to renting again.
Which ski resorts would you recommend assuming you skied the pyrenees we are thinking of trying that way sometime

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have never ski'd in my life :( and I would love to but I am simply too scared of breaking a leg etc :eek:

Are these 'Blades' safer for someone like me? I had a quick look on the 'net and it seems that you can do quite a lot on them but that they are considered seriously 'uncool':rolleyes:. I am now worried about looking uncool, I would just like to be safe o_O

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Which ski resorts would you recommend assuming you skied the pyrenees we are thinking of trying that way sometime

We like Pas de La Casa because it is more of a locals slope - there's not as many hotel complexes near to it as others. It can connect to Grau Roig depending on which lift pass you get.

To be honest the last few times we've gone over we've used the Spanish resort Masella simply because it is easy to get to from our friends house. (Well, relatively simple - they live halfway up a different mountain!) We didn't get there this year but discovered last year that one of the best days to go is the day after their Three Kings celebration - the slopes were deserted.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have never ski'd in my life :( and I would love to but I am simply too scared of breaking a leg etc :eek:

Are these 'Blades' safer for someone like me? I had a quick look on the 'net and it seems that you can do quite a lot on them but that they are considered seriously 'uncool':rolleyes:. I am now worried about looking uncool, I would just like to be safe o_O

If I had a pound for every person who said that!
Skiing injuries are surprisingly quite rare. Modern bindings, when set correctly, release very easily during falls and, in doing so, prevent injury.
If you feel particularly fragile, you can always reduce the recommended DIN setting (release pressure) to make the skis release with less stress to your body.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Skiing injuries are surprisingly quite rare. Modern bindings, when set correctly, release very easily during falls and, in doing so, prevent injury.
If you feel particularly fragile, you can always reduce the recommended DIN setting (release pressure) to make the skis release with less stress to your body.

I know, I am probably (well, actually :eek:) overly sensitive to the whole thing. I would LOVE to learn to ski, my son does, my daughter does, my friends do............... but I'm still scared :eek::eek:

It's a bit like motorbikes really, I used to ride them, now I am so fearful of a 'motorbike accident' that the fear overrides the desire.

Perhaps I should look at all this skiing caper again. (what about sledges lol, I love those :D)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago

I support the above, Dad learnt at the age 75, i`ve just come back with him from Le Bresse aged 82 yrs now still learning and enjoying every moment. quality bonding time.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Anyone who rides a motorbike WILL love to ski, the two disciplines share so much in common, and not just fear and cold :LOL:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Stroppy bird and chocks away
Seriously uncool understates things.
They are totally uncool you see people haring down on them almost totally out of control with almost no way of turning or stopping quickly.
Ski Sunday presenters Ed Leigh and Graham Bell were pretty scathing about them.

Short ski's (carvers) of the correct length to your height and experience should be fine if you can already ski.
Please be a snowboarder or skier
but NEVER a blade'r

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Nonsense kev...I have 3 pairs.. I can ski and snowboard but my blades are mor fun than the two put together

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
It's not nonsense at all
I didn't say they couldn't be fun
I simply said that the people I have seen on them
many are distinctly out of control.
They are going much too fast for the blades capabilities.
and bye and large they are not seen as cool

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
just copied this from a site:

"Snowblades are cheap, easily acquired and also easy to learn on, but the problem with them is that most people reach the limits of those boards before they reach their own. If you want to ride faster, harder, land jumps safely, turn quicker, and power through the many things a mountain throws at you, the Snowblades will not "do it" with you.

The harder you push yourself on those blades, the more dangerous it gets. That's the problem. "

Also Vermont banned them last year for the above reasons and especially that they are uncool.

Fun but uncool and potentially more dangerous because people try to out perform the blades
capabilities.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
just copied this from a site:

"Snowblades are cheap, easily acquired and also easy to learn on, but the problem with them is that most people reach the limits of those boards before they reach their own. If you want to ride faster, harder, land jumps safely, turn quicker, and power through the many things a mountain throws at you, the Snowblades will not "do it" with you.

The harder you push yourself on those blades, the more dangerous it gets. That's the problem. "

Also Vermont banned them last year for the above reasons and especially that they are uncool.

Fun but uncool and potentially more dangerous because people try to out perform the blades
capabilities.

Nope, I dont agree

I ski intermediate, I have Salamon 'blades', short ski's , regular ski's and hire carvers.

I don't like the salmon blades, too short at 900mm and the bindings are the clip type:(
I love the short ski's, I think they are 1.25 meters, but beware they are weight rated for me, not kids ski's and I use them one or two days in a week with no poles, recommended (y)
I don't ever get the regular ski's off the rack:cool:
I spent most of the week on rented carvers, I do also have a pair of thermally moulded boots, again recommend if your feet don't change from year to year(y)

Do give a sh*t what the good people of Vermont think:)

To the good people of Morzine/Les Gets ..... watch out for the big bloke in the dayglo orange trousers this Febuary(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back