Northern Italy in May? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Judgemental @hilldweller Hi Chaps, my plan for mid April to Mid June is coming together. You two in particular I know have plenty of experience in Italy.

We are thinking about whizzing down there from Calais then getting stuck in. We will also 'do' bavaria on the way back (via Austria?)

Oh.. and the Dolomites :cautious:

Do you have any sage advice please regarding routes, what NOT to miss, and maybe any other guides apart from 'Lonely Planet' and Camperstop Europe.

As you know (?) we like outdoors stuff, cycling. fishing, sightseeing and 'eating in' :rolleyes: oh and of course WINE :wine:

Any thoughts chaps?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
this toll free route to Garda from other thread which passes through Bolzano where you can turn left for Dolomites. Honestly you must eat out in Italy...criminal not to!lol

"we go to Italy/lake garda every year in the summer, either via switzerland or germany/austria. After a week in Alsace headed to Lake constance for a few nights then down to Fussen, and take the non-toll route through Austria via Reutte and Nessereith (Fernpass), and then to Imst, Landeck, Pfunds, and Nauders for the Reschenpass. Then Merano, Bolzano. down west side of Garda (avoid right side of lake - tight tunnels!!!)"

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sort of depends where "north" ends.

One May, 3 years ago, we were driven south to Riccioni before we got warm dry weather. By the time we turned round we got good weather through Germany.

This year, the MotoGP race is near Florence and last week in May, it had better be good or I'll be doing my Everly Brothers impression.

After race we'll be on Garda first week in June.

Not to miss ? So much. But surely to stand in the Forum of Rome and think you are walking in the footsteps of Ceasar. Then the Colosseum, what a feat of engineering. Herculaneum just amazing. Florence beats Rome apart from the two sites mentioned. A truly total Italian experience on a manageable scale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don't know if you've been to this place Brian? It's on the west side of Lake Garda and is worth a visit.
Broken Link Removed...

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
t
"we go to Italy/lake garda every year in the summer, either via switzerland or germany/austria. After a week in Alsace headed to Lake constance for a few nights then down to Fussen, and take the non-toll route through Austria via Reutte and Nessereith (Fernpass), and then to Imst, Landeck, Pfunds, and Nauders for the Reschenpass. Then Merano, Bolzano. down west side of Garda (avoid right side of lake - tight tunnels!!!)"

I am desperately trying to persuade hubby to go to Italy, but we are time limited with full time jobs and he doesn't want to spend half the holiday driving
Realistically, how long does it take to get down there without being stupid? Happy to do 6 hours in a day if need be, but not consecutively
We did the Fern Pass in February return from Austria skiing and it was great, amazing scenery, really beautiful, and road in brilliant condition (not on way down, snow storm, so stuck to motorway with gobox)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't know if you've been to this place Brian? It's on the west side of Lake Garda and is worth a visit.
Broken Link Removed...

you got a name? link dont work

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Right, PC now up to steam. Try this
http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-story/dannunzio-and-il-vittoriale-degli-italiani-poets-fantasy
We stayed at Desenzano del Garda when in the motorhome. Smallish pitches but we managed to get our 6.5m + trailer on one over looking the lake. Convenient for Desenzano and Sirmione. Sirmione has the Roman ruins at the end and it's interesting watching the locals in their sunday best finery promenading on a Saturday night. Can get the bus from Desenzano into Venice or Verona.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am desperately trying to persuade hubby to go to Italy, but we are time limited with full time jobs and he doesn't want to spend half the holiday driving
Realistically, how long does it take to get down there without being stupid? Happy to do 6 hours in a day if need be, but not consecutively
We did the Fern Pass in February return from Austria skiing and it was great, amazing scenery, really beautiful, and road in brilliant condition (not on way down, snow storm, so stuck to motorway with gobox)

approx 1200 miles without looking? so 2.5 days can do it if pushed, I have done this on a return....
quickest route is probably via switzerland. early evening tunnel, stop at Tournai Aire. next night Alsace region somewhere, then you can get straight through Switzerland and Milan and be at Garda that day, dependent on traffic obviously. Timing everything especially with gotthard tunnel (night a good move) and depends what time of year as well. so two sleeps can do it..but missing so much in the way. but if needs must!

@TheTwoOfUs. sorry cant help with that, have visited all the lakeside towns more or less, but thats new to me...we normally stay near Salo

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks peeps............ we are booked and on the way in April (V excited:D)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
approx 1200 miles without looking? so 2.5 days can do it if pushed, I have done this on a return....
quickest route is probably via switzerland. early evening tunnel, stop at Tournai Aire. next night Alsace region somewhere, then you can get straight through Switzerland and Milan and be at Garda that day, dependent on traffic obviously. Timing everything especially with gotthard tunnel (night a good move) and depends what time of year as well. so two sleeps can do it..but missing so much in the way. but if needs must!
:Ta2:will need to do a bit of persuading. we normally catch the evening tunnel, and this time made it all the way to Arlon for sleeps. It may just be do-able

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just looked it up on Google Earth, we stayed at Camping San Francisco Village at Desenzano del Garda.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We too have booked the tunnel for PM Weds 20 May stoping over night just the over side then set off early using Swift-Kontiki toll free route to Switzerland, hoping to make it with only 1 night stop some where on route then 1 night in Switzerland then 1 night northern Italy before heading for Venice for a week, the off to see some friends in The Marche for a few day, then Florence for 3 or 4 days before working our way back to catch an early train on Thurs 11 June, we too are very excited. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back