TESCO tunnel vouchers..... advice please (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We are thinking of using some of our Tesco points for the Eurotunnel

Our dilemma is that we are unsure of our exact return date.

My questions:

Can I change the date of return (assuming I give Eurotunnel sufficient notice)?

Will it cost any more money over and above any price difference on the day?

We intend to go out mid April and return 'sometime' around the beginning of June. Would it be OK to book (say) 1st June for the return then change it closer to the date if we wish to come back earlier or later?

I have searched the forum but most references are a little old now.

Many thanks (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
call them and check. as we share frequent traveller its entirely flexible, always book a return but have changed return sometimes 4 times at no extra cost. dont know about tesco though...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You are much better off phoning Eurotunnel for the definitive answer but our experience was provided you phone before your booked return date you can change the day of return. They will charge the difference between what your booked date cost was and the actual cost of the day you with to return. It probably won't be less but could be as much as 130 euros more if like us you want to come back on a BH weekend. On the other hand we have been charged only 10 euros for a different date on one occasion and nothing on another. We were using Tesco vouchers.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Judgemental and @iandsm thanks chaps, thought that might be the case. As it happens we are now thinking one way there then maybe ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle on the way back :)

Oh the joys of indecision :rolleyes:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I've just booked a crossing with my Tesco points and yes, they are amendable subject to price changes for different dates & times

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sounds like a plan..Amsterdam fantastic cant wait to go back...

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Haha.... do I have a reputation? :rolleyes:

The plan is Monaco, through Italy towards the Dolomites, Austria (a little), Bavaria and then back to Scotland :D
Have a great time, are you going to bother with another blog. We are off on our adventure starting May and using your route through Sweden and Norway as listed in your last volume. Have a safe trip

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
We booked with them last month and had to change departure date by 1 week,one phone call and every thing sorted.Regards your return you must inform them if you are not leaving on date booked or you will lose it,if you want to change your return date to later no prob just pay the difference if dearer.We used amsterdam 2013 will never travel on that route again it was so bad they had security staff waking about disco/boat.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Have a great time, are you going to bother with another blog. We are off on our adventure starting May and using your route through Sweden and Norway as listed in your last volume. Have a safe trip
@PJGWiltshire Ah I remember now..... I am already envious of you ! ..... enjoy (y) (and yes we will 'blog':cool:)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
disco/boat.

Yeah, that bit does worry me........

Still thinking the tunnel will be the most cost effective, especially as I can change the dates coming back

Thanks everyone for your replies (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you do decide on the amsterdam crossing have a look at the upgraded accommodation we used it the last time and well worth it at the right price. You get a proper double bed and sofa with mini bar and breakfast included so if you normally buy breakfast onboard may be worth an upgrade.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Yeah, that bit does worry me........

Still thinking the tunnel will be the most cost effective, especially as I can change the dates coming back

Thanks everyone for your replies (y)
'The ferry' has never been an argument I've ever won :cry:. Even less chance now that fuel is cheaper and the MH more expensive to cross. Damn chunnel and their reasonably-priced tickets! It's just 'not logical', says HWMBO.
I'm so desperate to go on a boat, we've had to buy one. ;)
Happy travels, Chockswahay. :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
An update !

I have spoken to Eurotunnel and they have confirmed that the ticket dates can be changed prior to travel, however the change must be made by phone. If there is any extra cost then it must be paid for by credit/debit card.

Also she said that if for any reason one 'misses' the departure time then travel can still be made within 24 hours (only subject to extra cost if more expensive time).

Result (y)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Haha, no! Just a little Honwave SIB with a 20hp engine (which I might help to carry, if I've had my weetabix). Sadly we're only classed as 'haves', not 'have yachts' :ROFLMAO: Maybe in our next life!

Deleted User
An update !

I have spoken to Eurotunnel and they have confirmed that the ticket dates can be changed prior to travel, however the change must be made by phone. If there is any extra cost then it must be paid for by credit/debit card.

Also she said that if for any reason one 'misses' the departure time then travel can still be made within 24 hours (only subject to extra cost if more expensive time).

Result (y)
Thanks for that info, we wondered about it too. Not had enough vouchers to cover a return up to now but useful to know if we ever do :)

Lin

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Booked ! it was easy. just got the codes via Tesco website, rang Eurotunnel, paid the difference of £1 haha................

Italy here we come (y)

(side note, they said ticket can be amended unto 24 hours after original travel time..... you don't have to travel within 24 hours

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just joined Tesco club card so bear with me as it's still relatively new to us!
If I'm planning on using le tunnel next year, am I as well saving my vouchers until nearer the time and then exchanging them for clubcard tokens or exchanging them as & when I keep hitting the £10 worth figure? - is there any benefit for either or is it personal choice? (I.E, do they have special offers at certain times where you get more for your voucher value?)

Also, can you use lots of token codes on one booking/reservation?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do NOT exchange your Tesco vouchers until you either have enough for your trip, or it is getting to the point where waiting will cost you a lot more (ie too near the date of travel).

Once you've exchanged some Tesco vouchers for a Travel Token (for Eurotunnel) it can only be used on its own, ie one Token per transaction - eg if you exchange them in dribs and drabs, such as £10 worth of Tesco vouchers for £30 of Travel Tokens this month, then another £10 worth next month etc, you will actually only be able to use one £30 Travel Token! This has been the case since they changed to emailing you with the voucher codes instead of sending them out in the post.

You won't get any further discount as they can't be used in conjunction with anything else and also if you have pets you have to pay for them by credit or debit card as the Travel Tokens cannot be used for this.

I also believe that you can only book a return crossing if you do it at the same time as an outward crossing, although I think you can do an outward crossing without a return crossing.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If using the Amsterdam ferry be aware that some radio stations have a "party cruise" aka "trip on the ship". From the reports I have heard it is, shall we say, lively all day and all night.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If using the Amsterdam ferry be aware that some radio stations have a "party cruise" aka "trip on the ship". From the reports I have heard it is, shall we say, lively all day and all night.
Yes, I believe that's the case ... you can have party cruises, they started doing them for Christmas/New Year etc and it seems to have been extended!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our local radio station has theirs in late September / early October as a rule. I've never been on such a trip but have heard the reports :(

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just joined Tesco club card so bear with me as it's still relatively new to us!
If I'm planning on using le tunnel next year, am I as well saving my vouchers until nearer the time and then exchanging them for clubcard tokens or exchanging them as & when I keep hitting the £10 worth figure? - is there any benefit for either or is it personal choice? (I.E, do they have special offers at certain times where you get more for your voucher value?)

Also, can you use lots of token codes on one booking/reservation?

Once you have echanged your Tesco points for the voucher you have to exchange it 14 days or more before you want to travel.

Also we have a Tesco credit card and use it to pay for everything as that gains points as well.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We're the same as scousbird and use Tesco Credit Card for virtually everything to get the extra points. To use Tesco's own phrase "every little helps". Just waiting for the next lot of vouchers which are due any time now and then I'll be able to book our Christmas/New Year trip!

Denise

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks everyone - I shall keep saving then.
I've got a tesco credit card - just need to use it at tesco rather than elsewhere to gain more points

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Really? A sailing yacht I hope (ex yottie here;))

Ditto, why would anyone want a stinkpot anyway, gorges fuel and so noisy, worst of all they don`t take heavy weather like a good old yacht will.

Ex hottie you say, what boat did you have, we`ve been very sensible over the years....NOT owned Westerlys, Moody`s our last boat was an American built Catalina.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Worth keeping an eye on Tesco offers to pick up those odd 100+ points too.

I've just received this quarter's statement, picked up a record (for me) £58.00 - or £174 to spend on Tunnel vouchers (y)

Very happy this morning :):D:cool:

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
When using Tesco vouchers you have to book at least 28 days before you cross and they will only take them for the outward crossing you can not use them on a return crossing.

Used them my self in March and maid a good saving on the crossing and I will be using them for my next trip in September.

Once you have the code number for Tesco’s you will need to ring euro Tunnel to make your booking, they will give you a reference number and email it to you, when you get to the terminal you just type the refeance number in to the screen at the gate it will produce a ticket and you can then drive around to the dispatcher area easy.

Regards

Ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back