Bike rack bolts through shower unit (1 Viewer)

Ckanddk

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Derby
Funster No
MH
Nuevo EK
Exp
2014 Newbie
hi funsters, we are thinking of putting a bike rack on back of MH but in a quandary as to where is best for bolts. Auto sleeper advise that there are two vertical wooden batons to which a bike rack can be fitted, albeit off centre, but bike rails can be set off centre to the rack thus centralizing against the MH. Our other option is the local dealer who advocates putting rack in centre which results in two bolts entering the shower unit. Should the later worry me, I'm assured that this method is no way a threat as far as damp is concerned.....do you know differently.

OP
OP
Ckanddk

Ckanddk

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Derby
Funster No
MH
Nuevo EK
Exp
2014 Newbie
Hi Chaser thank you for your reply, Well that's what I thought, but apparently they fit these every day without incident. I think we may well go to Auto sleeper. Jury still out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would not fancy bolting to the shower wall myself but the other problem with this plan is that the rack will not be supported by any batons in the wall only the foam sandwich panel, it might come down to how spaced the rack supports are vertically. The off centre option sounds the best.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They can fit cross supports externally fixed off centre and fit rack centrally to that. How heavy are the bikes

OP
OP
Ckanddk

Ckanddk

Free Member
Sep 21, 2014
Derby
Funster No
MH
Nuevo EK
Exp
2014 Newbie
I think the tow bar option is prob best then we can put bikes or box on that....thank you for feedback, much appreciated

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think the tow bar option is prob best then we can put bikes or box on that....thank you for feedback, much appreciated

good option.. it is also much lower, so easier to lift bikes onto.. and when not required .. leave at home..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The shower cubicle "wall" will not be bonded to the motorhome rear wall consequently it would be virtually impossible to seal effectively.

I always go down the towbar option where possible the bike racks far superior, cheaper, easier to load the bikes on and off and frankly, I don't mind taking the bikes off for an hour or so to use, but when they were on the rear wall mounted bracket I couldn't be bothered, too many straps and clips.

If you are determined that you want to mount a cycle carrier on the rear wall of the motorcaravan, I would advise that you use the fixing method recommended and fabricated for by AutoSleeper.

Can you imagine but the shower cubicle would look like with bolts, nuts and spreader plates in it?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Looking at how ineffective motorhome builders are at keeping damp from seeping through their designed joints I wouldn`t be drilling any holes in the bodywork.

As for drilling into a shower cubicle that has to be a no no, I`m not convinced drilling through a wooden battern is the way to go either, how much is all this going to compress when you tighten the bolts, surely an inner sleeve is required to prevent crushing the bodywork.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a garage currently, but new vehicle does not so we are considering bike rack options at the moment. We went to NEC to look at some towbar mounted options, really surprised how good/solid they were.

I think if you are considering a towbar then the bike rack makes sense on the towbar no concerns on stressing your back wall. If back wall mounted then unless you completely trust fitter I would go with manufacturer fit. Putting anything through a shower wall sounds risky, especially if it will be stressed over time.

The towbar is not a cheap option if you are not going to get a towbar for other reasons. Also depends on what you are putting on the rack, single road bike or 2 ebikes are very different weights.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What sort of a dealer would even think of putting bolts through the shower wall, is he some sort of back street guy or a registered dealer, if the latter think he should be named and shamed , if he can come up with this , whatever else is he doing to them, come to think of it if he is the former as well. Crazy.(n)

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
I too would also go with a tow bar, and maybe a cycle rack that clips on to that

Kev

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bolting through shower is a bad idea as already stated. We have a fiamma rack which was on the van when we got it, I don't think I'd fit one if it wasn't already there.

I have a towball mounted on on my landy for occasional use, but on an earlier van I had one that mounted on the towbar so you could still tow with it on. Both types were pretty inexpensive, but not so good if you don't already have a towbar.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No way would a dealer with any common sense mount a bike rack with fixing in the shower. I would give that dealer a very wide birth.
If going the tow bar route bear in mind tow bars weigh up to 75kg and all that weight is behind the rear axle.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I had the same issue wanted to take the bikes decided on drilling ANY holes not matter where they are they will eventually leak will all the movement encounted with a M/H
Had a towbar fitted by Mike Parkinson near Preston ( look on here lots of reviews about him) think it was £350 very competitive and a Thule bike rack for 2 bikes £120.00 and can now use it to tow a toad
Used it in france throu the Summer, excellent dead easy to get bikes on and off plus we were traveling with a couple who had a bike rack fitted and it snapped off during the trip (going over speed bumps quite a few on the trip) he bought a towbar one whilst there rather than put a bike rack back on

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Adding a towbar and bike rack full of bikes should be considered with care. The weight is far back so will ad a lot of weight beyond the rear axle.

Towbar 50kg Rack 20kg bikes 70kg to 120kg plus extra weight depending on how far back from rear axle

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi Chaser thank you for your reply, Well that's what I thought, but apparently they fit these every day without incident. I think we may well go to Auto sleeper. Jury still out
I Would, Autosleeper as any other manufacturer include the timber reinforcing to the back panel in order to offer sufficient support for bike racks or roof ladders etc and that is exactly where it should be fitted. What dealer in their right mind would bolt through a shower wall? Ridiculous! Asking for trouble. Go with what Autosleeper have designed, stability and just offset the carrier to centralise it to back wall. Email Autosleeper with model/year, as i did Autotrail, they sent me a plan of the rear wall that gave specific dimensions of where the support beams were constructed in order to secure my ladder . Bike rack already fitted in correct place as could be seen with the wall plan. You could also ask their advice re shower wall for a laugh. (y)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Well that's what I thought, but apparently they fit these every day without incident
Really?? In the shower?? Can't imagine there are that many Idiots with motorhomes willing to allow that. Sounds like they are talking bo@@ocks!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Nice smooth shower wall, slippery soapy floor, skin and two sharp steel bolts. Not a good combination.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back