LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Do you carry a fire extinguisher? Is it suitable? Is it in date? Could you use it & know how to?
just wondering?

DSC_2359.JPG

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have 2, one just inside each door (A class only 2 doors) They are 2kg dry powder, suitable for most fires but make a heck of a mess. They are in date, replaced last year.
I also have a CO2 extinguisher, but not decided whether to put it in the van as it is quite large and heavy.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There were two small powder extinguishers in the kitchen area when we bought the van and I also put one in the driver door pocket.

I must admit I knew nothing about dates until the engineer doing our habitation service a year later pointed out that one had gone out of date. I now check them myself each year as well as him doing so.

As regards use, I've practised by letting off a couple of outdated ones (in an area of the garden where mess was soon cleared up). They needed to be emptied as the tip won't take them if not.

The main thing about use, though, is to make sure the fire isn't between you and a means of escape and if you have any doubt about fighting the fire then Get Out, Stay Out and Get The Brigade Out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, yes, yes, and yes..

I was an Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader
Did my fire fighter training at Broken Link Removed.

Retired now, but the training is never forgotten..

@funflair is correct.. dry power does settle in a van due to the vibration and should be inverted and given a gentle shake every so often to loosen the powder.
If you can't feel it moving about.. it's no use.. have it serviced or throw away.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
yes, yes, yes, and yes..

I was an Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader
Did my fire fighter training at Broken Link Removed.

Retired now, but the training is never forgotten..

@funflair is correct.. dry power does settle in a van due to the vibration and should be inverted and given a gentle shake every so often to loosen the powder.
If you can't feel it moving about.. it's no use.. have it serviced or throw away.
I also went to Montrose fir school on more than on occasion to do fire fighting courses completing the fir teem leaders coerce one of the best coerces I done in my time offshore I over the year don Frome basic to teem leader
including BA
bill

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
yes, we have a 1kg by habitation door, fire blanket to side of galley and a 1kg in door pocket. Done my course the hard way in the RN. Only lasted about 12 years so will never forget, especially putting out oil fire with water jet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Yes yes and yes. But would probably never use it. Like already said, unless you or someone else is endangered by the fire, get out and stay clear.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Do you carry a fire extinguisher? Is it suitable? Is it in date? Could you use it & know how to?
just wondering?

View attachment 55869
Yes, yes, yes ,yes and yes!

I carry two in the camper, a 2KG dry powder on the drivers doorstep for engine fires and a 2 litre AFFF just inside the sliding door (base of passengers B pillar) plus a fire blanket near the kitchen area. Both are serviced annually by the company that do my extinguishers in the workshop. Did fire extinguisher training when I worked at MoD and have given Fire extinguisher training in two separate garages.

D.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Modern stored Pressure fire extinguishers should have a gauge
which can be easily read, however even those gauges should
be read/tested at yearly intervals not difficult if you have the right equipment
there should also be on the equipment. its self a record of service/label signed and dated by an engineer.

The idea of inverting a fire extinguisher where the powder has caked down in the way described was usually associated with the old Pyrene/ Chubb type extinguishers with the plastic bodies and handles.

Ref Useage best advise.
Used to be safety first if in doubt get out and stay clear.
Make sure everyone is clear

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh yes one in the cab one by the work station. and one by the shower. and fire training by the fire brigade. for the foster care group

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well sorry if you are parked next door, or live next door - but my motto is and always has been, run like hell simultaneously screaming Fire! at the top of my voice.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have a water mist extinguisher, in the hope that it it won't make the mess the fire makes even worse while putting it out.

So, yes; yes, according to the supplier; yes; yes & I think I do.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes to all the above questions and have first hand experience fighting and extinguishing fires.

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Always ensure plenty of cans of beer on board, if it won,t put out the fire, you can always drink them in commiseration!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for the reminder Steve, it needs doing every so often, as does reminding us of the importance of smoke alarms .. we tend to get a bit complacent I believe, the longer we own our motorhomes .. well, I do.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
just wondering?

View attachment 55869

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

We have two extinguishers, replaced last year (dry powder type) and as I was a fire officer at work part of the training was emergency evacuation whilst keeping flames at bay using the extinguisher.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Always ensure plenty of cans of beer on board, if it won,t put out the fire, you can always drink them in commiseration!

I know it was probably meant as a joke, but you make a good point. I have used a two litre bottle of Coke to put out a fire. If you give it a bit of a shake first it will provide quite an effective jet or spray.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I know it was probably meant as a joke, but you make a good point. I have used a two litre bottle of Coke to put out a fire. If you give it a bit of a shake first it will provide quite an effective jet or spray.
Diet or full fat?:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back