Hands free ban in France. (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Just been informed of this ban. Ideal in one way. Just don't let the other half talk whilst driving in France. past a gendarme, or even police car, in case they think your on the phone. At last !!! Our ears get a well deserved rest. Peace & quite, only the radio to listen to. :clap2::clap2::clap2::Ta2::merci:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
should also ban them here

more info

Broken Link Removed

also a good move

Zero tolerance on alcohol for young drivers

Despite several shock campaigns aimed at dissuading young people from drink-driving, it appears they have failed to work and the government has decided to get tough. There will be a zero tolerance approach towards young people and drink driving. The legal alcohol limit will be reduced from the current 0.5mg/ml to 0.2mg/ml for young drivers, which is basically the equivalent of less than a half a pint.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The hands free bit seems to be talking about these ones thst fit in your ear or other headsets. The hands free in my car is part of it and cannot be removed.
The hands free as far as I am concerned is not a distraction as I get very few calls, but I do find passengers talking to me a distraction, so don't answer if they talk to me, they usually take the hint and stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I can make my Nuvi5000 SatNav act as a hands free phone. No need to touch anything and the phone can even be in the back if the MH out of reach.

This may be of interest:
http://www.fleetpoint.org/top-news/drivers-norfolk-get-mobile-warning/28740/
Following a successful trial, a new system that detects whether a mobile phone is being used in a vehicle is about to be rolled out across Norfolk.

The Mobile Phone Detection System (MPDS) is a portable system which identifies whether people are using their mobile phone in a vehicle.

The MPDS is part of the latest enforcement and promotional campaign being run by the Think! Norfolk road safety partnership to remind drivers that using a mobile when behind the wheel is one of the biggest causes of accidents and fatalities on our roads.

The rollout came following a national enforcement campaign in the county last month which targeted drivers using mobile phones.

So far the MPDS is exclusive to Norfolk but it has been welcomed by many road safety groups as an innovative way to get the message across to drivers that using your mobile while driving is one of the most dangerous driving behaviours.

The system targets those using a mobile phone in a vehicle whether on a phone call or receiving/sending a text message… although the daft thing is it can’t differentiate if the mobile phone is being used by a passenger or not which may leave the driver feeling unfairly persecuted or paranoid about prosecution.

Norfolk Constabulary is warning that if drivers are caught using a mobile phone while behind the wheel they will be given a £60 fixed penalty notice and have their licence endorsed with 3 penalty points. This fine can also rise to £1000 if taken to court and £2500 if driving a bus, coach, or heavy goods vehicle.

Iain Temperton, Road Safety Manager at Norfolk County Council, added: “The system can’t detect whether its a passenger using a phone in a vehicle or whether a hands-free device is being used. But of course, those people don’t need to be worried if they get a flash from the sign.”

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ban drinking completely as far as I'm concerned I see no point in having a limit which no one understands.
Hands free yeah we have one a Parrot in van and an automated one standard in the car. Both are dangerous even though hands stay on the wheel amazing how when you've finished a conversation you have no idea about the driving you've just done can't be good for concentration.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I can make my Nuvi5000 SatNav act as a hands free phone. No need to touch anything and the phone can even be in the back if the MH out of reach.

This may be of interest:
http://www.fleetpoint.org/top-news/drivers-norfolk-get-mobile-warning/28740/
Following a successful trial, a new system that detects whether a mobile phone is being used in a vehicle is about to be rolled out across Norfolk.

The Mobile Phone Detection System (MPDS) is a portable system which identifies whether people are using their mobile phone in a vehicle.

The MPDS is part of the latest enforcement and promotional campaign being run by the Think! Norfolk road safety partnership to remind drivers that using a mobile when behind the wheel is one of the biggest causes of accidents and fatalities on our roads.

The rollout came following a national enforcement campaign in the county last month which targeted drivers using mobile phones.

So far the MPDS is exclusive to Norfolk but it has been welcomed by many road safety groups as an innovative way to get the message across to drivers that using your mobile while driving is one of the most dangerous driving behaviours.

The system targets those using a mobile phone in a vehicle whether on a phone call or receiving/sending a text message… although the daft thing is it can’t differentiate if the mobile phone is being used by a passenger or not which may leave the driver feeling unfairly persecuted or paranoid about prosecution.

Norfolk Constabulary is warning that if drivers are caught using a mobile phone while behind the wheel they will be given a £60 fixed penalty notice and have their licence endorsed with 3 penalty points. This fine can also rise to £1000 if taken to court and £2500 if driving a bus, coach, or heavy goods vehicle.

Iain Temperton, Road Safety Manager at Norfolk County Council, added: “The system can’t detect whether its a passenger using a phone in a vehicle or whether a hands-free device is being used. But of course, those people don’t need to be worried if they get a flash from the sign.”
would i be right in assuming they mean using - as in holding it to make calls?

or using as in, my phone is in my bag in the boot but im on a call through the Bluetooth set up in the car and control on the wheel in front of me...as are the stereo, cruise control and all the other bits and bobs?

If its the former - yeah good! if its the latter..well...what next...banning the radio and talking in a car?????

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I was working one of my responsibilities was the company Health and Safety Policy Document, as we were a multinational company operating ferries it was quite a hefty manual. I always had trouble explaining to senior managers that "hands-free" telephone systems fitted to company vehicles were prohibited by this document. We deemed them unsafe to use whilst driving. I still hold the same view.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There will be a zero tolerance approach towards young people and drink driving. The legal alcohol limit will be reduced from the current 0.5mg/ml to 0.2mg/ml
So which is it to be.....zero tolerance or 0.2mg

Zero tolerance is exactly that...zero, nothing, nada. Zilch.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I switch my phone and don't switch it back on till I have stopped or finished my journey
bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ban drinking completely as far as I'm concerned I see no point in having a limit which no one understands.
Hands free yeah we have one a Parrot in van and an automated one standard in the car. Both are dangerous even though hands stay on the wheel amazing how when you've finished a conversation you have no idea about the driving you've just done can't be good for concentration.

Fully agree but the old CB for some reason did not cause the same lack of concentration. I was terrible for using phone years ago but after having a near miss i never never even look to see who is ringing..Can always pull up when it is safe..Nothing is that important it cannot wait ten minutes. BUSBY

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
When doing a trip with a passenger/mate chatting away in the cab,it took longer than when being on my own in the lorry.... Diastraction ? Yes.......... Or was i driving more carefully ?....... This is a tough one to call.
Tea Bag
PS ...Distraction as well....LOL

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
its all right for the police to use them when driving solo. and its alright for people to smoke. until you stop all it will take life's.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Got differant ringtones for important callers
Eg Mrs t ,son and daughter,

Phone. Rings pull over turn engine off
keys out ring em back

Anyone else tuff wait till journey end

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

The reason that it isn't zero is because you don't need to have had an alcoholic drink to produce a reading of breath alcohol. Mouth wash contains alcohol, in fact the human body will produce alcohol after consumption of some sugary foods! Hence it is totally unenforceable to have a zero limit that has no discretion.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The hands free bit seems to be talking about these ones thst fit in your ear or other headsets. The hands free in my car is part of it and cannot be removed.
The hands free as far as I am concerned is not a distraction as I get very few calls, but I do find passengers talking to me a distraction, so don't answer if they talk to me, they usually take the hint and stop.

The article appears only to be talking about bluetooth ear piece, head phones etc; all of which are totally banned here. Only a completely hands free auto answer/disconnect is legal.
I agree with other posters in that talking on any phone system is the same as talking to a passenger. You do not have undivided attention on the road.

Another point in the article re; tinted windows isn't going to get far as the EU already had multiple fines pending & enforced against any country , greece being the worst, that does not allow tinting under EU rules.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There are no police patrols anywhere now days so really you can please your self...BUSBY:):):)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our son-in-law WAS on his mobile phone talking as they drew towards the exit on a busy French supermarket carpark a couple of years ago. A gendarme stopped them and was waving and pointing at something, so he put the phone down on the dash, raised both hands and waved back at the policeman, who first looked as if he was about to explode - and then laughed and waved them on.

Yes - our daughter was driving on that occasion!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My son-in-law was stopped and accused of using his phone while driving. He denied he was on his phone and didn't have his phone with him. They threatened to search the car and my granddaughter....luckily she didn't have her phone with her either.
The police were wrong and were reluctant to admit it, eventually leaving saying "we'll give you the benefit of the doubt"
I have heard of another who was not so lucky.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I dont really see what the big deal is. If you are completely hands free talking or have passengers in the vehicle thats talking to you, your still talking all the same.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Passengers talking to you is more distracting. I have even seen drivers looking at them while conversing. That must rank with watching tv or texting.

The nannyists say a present passenger will see the danger ahead and stop talking whereas the phone caller won't. Of course the nannyists are all virgins so don't realise kids are oblivious and will whine and moan all the way into the brick wall

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

ZERO LIMIT .. and ZERO TOLERANCE are different measurements.. one is a a level of alcohol.. the other the amount you can exceed the limit ..

zero tolerance is not about the alcohol level .. tolerance is about the willingness to accept someones behavior.. in this example they will have zero tolerance..

The limit they have set for that is 0.2mg .. they will not tolerate even a tiny amount above that.. hence zero tolerance.

you could set the limit wherever .. say 5mg .. and have zero tolerance if you exceed it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well as long as the French don't ban me from talking to the voices in my head when I'm driving - I find it's far too hot to wear the tinfoil helmet in summer.

The voices say they agree with me.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I wonder what will be banned next, surely looking down at your instruments is more of a distraction that having a totally hands free kit fitted like the Parrot system or a hands free fitted radio.

Using the logic some people have you would need to be isolated from any passengers so you could`t be distracted from any conversation, all radios/cd`s would be banned.
Sat navs are definitely out which would stop you arguing back saying I`m not going that way!!!
You would`t be able to tell the taxi driver where you wanted dropping, "just here cabbie"

What about those big advertising screens along the motorways, they are very distracting.

Without doubt the lunatics are running the asylum!!!

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Agree with robnchris.
It's revenue generating exercise in the form of fines.
Hand free kits in all my vehicles, I won't be removing them.
And yes, I will continue to use the phone..... screw ANY of them... as far as I'm concerned it's my livelihood and business they are trying to stop...... won't happen mate !.... Laws are made to be greatly bent and by Jesus I'll bend this one.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The nannyists say a present passenger will see the danger ahead and stop talking whereas the phone caller won't. Of course the nannyists are all virgins so don't realise kids are oblivious and will whine and moan all the way into the brick wall
Oh you live on a busy school run road then ? The drivers are often looking at the children on the way to school and then peering down on the way back, clearly checking the 'fone for missed calls and messages.
I reckon that "holding" the converation is as bad as "holding" the 'fone. I'm sure we have all seen drivers waving their arms around. Some are so engrossed it's as if they are face to face with that person.
I get my wife to take my calls but then I listen intently as she passes the message and I reply. It really is as bad as taking the call personally.
Why my holier than thou attitude? I got nicked for using 'fone 6 years ago, my insurance went up, I was too ashamed to tell wife and never have, and had a few close shaves as well.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Phone is built into the Radio on our van.. But the only person I WOULD answer the phone for, when behind the wheel, is sat beside me... :LOL:...
When I was a young REME "squadie in Germany in the 60's we were often in "convoy"
on autobahns. To brighten up the journey, my mate (in the passenger seat on the left) had an old steering wheel and he used to pretend to be asleep leaning against the window, holding the "dummy" steering wheel... The number of germans going by "honking" their horns trying to wake him up was hilarious !!!
Happy daze.. :LOL: Mitch..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back