GPS Speedo ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good morning, I have been wondering about the legality / acceptance of GPS speedos, (not the swimming ones)
Thinking of registering our MH in UK, thought it might be an easier option than replacing kmh only facia.
Does anyone have copy of construction & use regs or experience please ?
Thanks.
Barrie.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UK speedo must show MPH
You can use an MPH overlay on your kph dial or simply tippex the corresponding numbers over the existing ones.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Imported from Germany through mot with kmh no probs use dighud speed app on android phone or sat nav mph pretty accurate never had a ticket works for me .
No doubt experts will be along soon :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
I use an old Satnav placed above the original speedo as I found my speedo pretty inaccurate .

Works for me. :)

Terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My speedo cable broke recently (1991 van - proper cable)

I will replace cable but will have to remove old one to have new one made, just need the time to do it

Due for MOT, wondered if a GPS speedo or sat nav would pass MOT

Speedo is included in MOT since 2012

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Not sure as to the legality if stopped but working speedo is not part of the MOT as far as I know, and also some have suggested they (sat nav) are not as accurate when going up or down hill due to the satellite position overhead.
Having said that I tend to drive but the Sat Nav speed than the Van Speedo - Sat Nav tells me when I am going over the speed limit for the road/motorhome also.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I use my sat-nav as my speedo when in France, have it read out in KPH

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
they (sat nav) are not as accurate when going up or down hill due to the satellite position overhead.

Really? You would need to be driving down a really really steep hill for it to make any difference :eek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I may be wrong , happens a lot
clear.png
I don't think a gps speedo is accepted as in construction and use regs
Even if not a mot fail

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Use our sat nav as speedo all the time check it against roadside speed indicators and its far more accurate then the speedo.
Never had mph on our speedo and it passes mot every year.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does anyone have copy of construction & use regs or experience please ?
Thanks.
Barrie.

Extract from the Department of Transport legislation

Imperial Speedometer

Great Britain uses imperial units for speed measurement. The law requires that speedometers must include a miles-per-hour display. Please note in particular that any modified display must be visible in daylight and in darkness.

Markings may be added to the existing speedometer provided they are:

• accurate;
  • durable;
  • can be seen clearly in daylight and when the instrument is lit during darkness.

also

That a speedometer has been fitted which is capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and
kilometres per hour, either simultaneously, or by operation of a switch.
Note: We can not accept secondary devices, hand written changes or multiple stickers applied to the
speedometer. We can only accept the changes detailed below.
The speedometer must be marked up to the maximum speed of the vehicle, with graduations at 1, 2, 5, or
10mph, and with values at intervals not exceeding 20mph. For this change we can accept the following
options.
a) That the factory fitted speedometer is dual marked as standard
b) The existing (digital) speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the
vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in mph
c) A miles per hour speedometer is fitted in-place of the factory fitted unit
d) A professional, single, miles per hour, overlay is applied directly to the speedometer face plate, not the
glass front plate (the overlay must be durable and accurate, with markings visible in both day and night
driving conditions).
e) A dual marked dial / facia has been added as a replacement to the factory fitted one

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think this from above answers the question: "We can not accept secondary devices"

A separate GPS speedo would be a secondary device I think.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
c) A miles per hour speedometer is fitted in-place of the factory fitted unit

Doesn't that mean that a replacement GPS speedo would be allowed if say the original did not function

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Imported from Germany through mot with kmh no probs use dighud speed app on android phone or sat nav mph pretty accurate never had a ticket works for me .
No doubt experts will be along soon :)
The rules changed a few years ago 2011 I think, kmh speedo is legal for MOT but not for VCA (Vehicle Certification Authority). When you import a vehicle not you have to get an inspection done by a garage or MOT station and send a letter/invoice with your application form to VCA stating that Speedo Rear Lights & Headlights conform to UK regulations they in return send you a certificate that allows you to register the vehicle.

Replacement dials available from Broken Link Removed, be careful in selecting the right one Fiat have several variations for each model, they are quick & easy to change.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Ducato - has anyone here bought one? Perhaps a bit pricey? Broken Link Removed

Steve

Deleted User
The GPS speedo may not work in tunnels because of lack of signal.

Deleted User
The rules changed a few years ago 2011 I think, kmh speedo is legal for MOT but not for VCA (Vehicle Certification Authority). When you import a vehicle not you have to get an inspection done by a garage or MOT station and send a letter/invoice with your application form to VCA stating that Speedo Rear Lights & Headlights conform to UK regulations they in return send you a certificate that allows you to register the vehicle.

Replacement dials available from Broken Link Removed, be careful in selecting the right one Fiat have several variations for each model, they are quick & easy to change.
I imported a vehicle from Japan and had to have fog light fitted and the speedo converted to read mph. The speedo was an electronic type and the conversion was done using a convertor chip. The letter k on the kmph was blanked out so that it read mph. To get the vehicle registered it only had to pass an mot because it was over 10 years old.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My speedo cable broke recently (1991 van - proper cable)

I will replace cable but will have to remove old one to have new one made, just need the time to do it

Due for MOT, wondered if a GPS speedo or sat nav would pass MOT

Speedo is included in MOT since 2012
My sons speedy was broken on his car when it went in for a MOT, he forgot to tell them to replace it. The car passed and still has a broken speedo :eek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
My sons speedy was broken on his car when it went in for a MOT, he forgot to tell them to replace it. The car passed and still has a broken speedo :eek:

Might be difficult top explain zero miles travelled next time though

:)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I imported a vehicle from Japan and had to have fog light fitted and the speedo converted to read mph. The speedo was an electronic type and the conversion was done using a convertor chip. The letter k on the kmph was blanked out so that it read mph. To get the vehicle registered it only had to pass an mot because it was over 10 years old.
You won't get away with it now, also if don't have CofC you have to have an inspection that costs £200.

Deleted User
This vehicle was brought into UK Dec last year. As it is over 10 years old it only requires an mot and CofC not available as it wasn't from a European member country. If it was under 10 years old it would need an IVA

Deleted User
What I missed was it came from a RHD country, the new rules apply to LHD vehicles.
I don't know a lot about importing vehicles but it seems to be easier from a non EU country such as Japan

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I asked my two sons separately, (both MOT testers) the following, "if my speedo was not working but I had a sat-nav showing MPH would you pass my car?"
Both said yes as there was a means of determining the speed, both would drive car in yard to see it did!
So, for the purposes of the MOT, yes a sat-nav would suffice as the display of MPH is a meter of speed! As is a Tachograph.

SPEEDO.jpg

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
? for the original poster - what is your base vehicle and what age is it as I might have a spare MPH 'speedo dial' that you can have?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you use a GPS speedo, you won't have an odemeter. Surely one is needed ?

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Phil 1946.
That was a good year !