TYRES ...... how quiet/noisy are yours? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I will be needing new tyres soon and was just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience of how noisy various brands of tyre are?

Sometimes my current tyres (Conti CP's) are really quite noisy on some road surfaces and this got me thinking......... are all brands affected in the same way?

My other dilemma is do I just put two more Summer tyres on (front need replacing so I will have the new ones put on the back and the rear ones brought forward to the front) .... OR ....go mad and have a full set of Winter tyres? :eek:

Then of course there is the whole issue of some countries having laws about no summer tyres in winter .... OR .... no winter tyres in summer :confused:

Any thoughts anyone? (y)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Last year I had Michelin XC tyres on the motor home and driving on the south side M25 on the concrete section you couldn't hear your self think, late last year i fitted Michelin agilis tyres and the reduction in noise was remarkable, I didn't need to touch the radio at my normal cruise of 62mph, also much more stable in crosswinds and definitely better grip,
Nobody likes spending money but IMO it was money well spent,

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
All tyres will be noisier on some surfaces. Our Conti Vanco 2 All Season are very quiet most of the time.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can't hear mine at all usually unless the road surface is cream crackered

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Don't know what size you need but I have 6 Continental tyres for sale.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have Conti's and they are quite noisy, until we drive off the ferry in France and get on their roads, bliss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Last year I had Michelin XC tyres on the motor home and driving on the south side M25 on the concrete section you couldn't hear your self think, late last year i fitted Michelin agilis tyres and the reduction in noise was remarkable, I didn't need to touch the radio at my normal cruise of 62mph, also much more stable in crosswinds and definitely better grip,
Nobody likes spending money but IMO it was money well spent,

Pleased to hear that, just bought four and haven't had a real chance to try them, but on the way home from the fitter they seemed a lot quieter.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi
There is now a noise rating on tyres-I saw a chart a few weeks ago in my local MOT station -apparantly all tyres now have noise levels , grip levels and lots of other info available -breaking in wet distances etc. Worth a look on the net -there should be a list somewhere to compare tyre noise

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not exactly on-topic but not too far off-topic either.

How many of you remember that advertisement for Rolls Royce cars? - it went along the lines of:

The only sound to be heard from a RR when it passes by is that of the tyres on the road - neither of which are made by Rolls Royce.

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Michelin Agilis all round never noticed any tyre noise,except on rough concrete roads, cannot be that bad lol.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It's a shame Aguilas are not four seasons------I would only ever fit four season tyres now------I can't see the point in tyres that limit where/when we can go.
Nigel & Pamala

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have been recommended Hancooks by Jaws who's running on them at present.
He says they have excellent "grip" properties..

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'm now running with Michelin agilis and they seem okay and are quieter than the Continetal vanco tyres I had previously.

If you think the UK road are bad you should try the road to Spa (Belgium) 50+km of concrete roads that are absolute hell

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Aye but the thread is about noise. What do the Hancooks come out at? compared to the 70db of Agilis
A quick search reveals 70db for their top model so pretty good (y) They go up to 75db on the budget variant.

Search also finds as little as £10 per tyre difference between Agilis Camping M+S and a Hancook summer rated tyre of same size so I'd be sticking with Michelin.

that is at current deflated prices! pun

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have Michelin Agilis Camping M+S tyres all round, fitted recently and they are, for sure, definitely quieter than the original Michelin campers that were on our AT Apache 700SE. I will say though, even with the M+S sign on them, they can be a little 'skittish' getting off a damp grass pitch - been stuck a couple of times and used the gripper plates.
:Eeek:
Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The Michelins are mud and snow marked, is that not the same thing as four seasons?

Err........ that's what I thought............ M+S are four seasons ................. with the snowflake would make them winter tyres

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Strange isn't it. I had Agilis tyres but not able to get replacements in my size so had to decide on alternatives. Checked wet and noise etc. and ended up with Conti vanco 100. Immediately noticed how much quieter they are.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Michelins are mud and snow marked, is that not the same thing as four seasons?

The Conti four seasons are marked with the mountain snowflake and are certainly more of a snow tread pattern than the Michelin M+S, the Niesman+Bischoff factory fit the Conti four seasons during the winter so they they are obviously fully compliant to Germany's laws during the winter.

And to get back on thread we are running this tyre and would say the ride is better than the Michelin camping and don't notice any more noise.

Now ask me about Run Flat Tyres on BMW,s would rather be in the motorhome.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had Conti Vanco Campers on both vans, on the last van they were quite noisy, current van very quiet, quieter than my car at 70 don't need to turn radio up or raise voices, I think the Al-Ko chassis helps, plus being an A Class the front end insulation is better.

The db noise ratings for tyres is the noise they emit at a given distance outside the vehicle, a low rating does not mean the transmitted noise inside the cab will necessarily be low.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After using Michelins we were REALLY shocked at the noise level difference there was when we switched to Hankooks.
Suddenly we could talk in normal voices and hear each other.. Never realised how noisy the Mich's were until they were gone !!!
The replacement van has ( I think ) Pirellis fitted and believe me, as soon as I have ANY excuse I will be dumping them in favour of some more Hankooks.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
After using Michelins we were REALLY shocked at the noise level difference there was when we switched to Hankooks.
Suddenly we could talk in normal voices and hear each other.. Never realised how noisy the Mich's were until they were gone !!!
The replacement van has ( I think ) Pirellis fitted and believe me, as soon as I have ANY excuse I will be dumping them in favour of some more Hankooks.

Which michelins, were they the latest Agilis or the older ones. I understand there is a big difference?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes a huge difference! The Michelin XC was a very different beast