solar panel (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi what sort of cost am I looking at to run 2x110 amp batteries by solar panel regards steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The question does not really make sense...
A solar panel will produce whatever it can depending on weather and it's output design. The batteries will store whatever they can until they are full..
First thing is see what roof space you have available, then depending on the size of your wallet fit what you can afford or want to spend..

I have just bought a 120w panel for £82... My Autotrail has a built in solar regulator that will take 120w, so an easy match.. Have 2x 110amp batts fitted...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To charge purely by solar......not worth it, you can't rely on the sun shining or for how long.
You really need another charge source as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@stephen harwood what motorhome do you have ???
As I mentioned above some have built in regulators so you could add a first panel at quite reasonable cost...

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
The question does not really make sense...
A solar panel will produce whatever it can depending on weather and it's output design. The batteries will store whatever they can until they are full..
First thing is see what roof space you have available, then depending on the size of your wallet fit what you can afford or want to spend..

I have just bought a 120w panel for £82... My Autotrail has a built in solar regulator that will take 120w, so an easy match.. Have 2x 110amp batts fitted...

Hi, if you don't mind me asking what make / size is the panel as I'm thinking of upgrading mine

Andy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, if you don't mind me asking what make / size is the panel as I'm thinking of upgrading mine

Andy

This is the one, I put an offer of £82 and it was accepted straight away. Only came the other day so not fitted / tested yet.
I only noticed after the buy button that its a "poly crystal" where as in the past I have always bought "Mono". In reality I dont think there will be much difference, both types have their pro's and Con's.
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Polychrystalline is about 70% of the efficiency of monochrystalline.

I believe poly is a man made chrystal whereas mono is a natural chrystal.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
To charge purely by solar......not worth it, you can't rely on the sun shining or for how long.

In my experience not true ,I have 180 watts on my roof and 2 110 amp batteries ,I have led lights and a 12 v tv and games machine I also charge my phones and tablets via 12 v leads.
When you drive to your destination your putting charge in and unless your a heavy power user the above set up will be more than enough for a leisure camper .It. would not however suit long camping off grid in the middle of winter,in summer you'd never come near to running low.
As far as costs goes you can get a couple of panels and a regulator off ebay with all the bits and bobs for under £200 .It is an easy DIY job however if your not sure for a case of beer I'm sure you could tempt a handy Funster to help you

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And if the sun doesn't shine for 4 or 5 days.....not unusual in the UK.

I would still want a backup charge source or I could be sat in the dark.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours seems to cope OK. We have 200W and 2x110ah. This winter we've been off grid a lot and never had any problems.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pappajohn A man of your experience should know that two good 110 amp batteries could last 4 or 5 days or longer without any input from solar.
Also the sun doesn't have to be out 24 /7 We camp in Scotland in the summer and may not see the sun for a good few days but always have full charge by mid morning!

Vlad

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Would gladly buy crate of beer any offers?

Steve, there is plenty of info already in the solar section about DIY fitting...
You can even ask here as you go along... If you can use a drill, apply sealant and connect a few wires you are sorted..

Using the drill through your roof for the first time is the killer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o_O

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think you've hit the nail on the head Tonks .
I'm quite handy when it comes to DIY but mix in electrics and your pride and joy and it's squeaky bum time !
I thankfully was helped by a Funster who" wasn't luck but deserved it ".
That was the kind of spirit that endeared me to this forum and hopefully someone near will help this fellow Funster !

Vlad

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I did my first one after reading all the tips on a forum, sadly not this one..
Since then done 2 for myself and several people I know have bought same equipment and done their own DIY.
It's always nice to have someone on hand and even seen some people doing their own fitting or for others while on a rally field.. I think that's where you get the free beer as well !! :)

Where's Techno ?? He would usually be on here by now and has posted some very helpful info on the subject.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We charge £549 installed. Less 10% Funsters discount so £495. We only use the Victron MPPT and have personally tested it along side many other MPPT reg with fantastic performance. RRP is £109.95 so £385.00

In our opinion no points having a decent solar set up unless it judges the leisure batteries and engine battery. We use our own battery master which is £120 installed, so £285.00

The cost of 100 W panel say on average £120.00, A tube of the decent adhesive sealant £10, set of feet £20, a waterproof gland £5 A bit of conduit and a few screws, a fiver. So say £125.00

Average installation time say between two and three hours at £60 an hour, and a nights free camping on Cornish Farm Touring Park £18.00

Lots of people say that it is a simple job, every job is if you know how to do it!

It is to be fair more time-consuming than technical under normal circumstances, and it is cheaper DIY if you don't value your time, and forget the true costs of all of the bits.

I really not suggesting that it's better to have it fitted professionally if you have the time and skill to do it yourself. I'm merely pointing out that if you don't feel confident about doing it yourself, fitted professionally may not be quite as expensive as you think when you add up all the costs, using like for like components

And of course you get a warranty

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Pappajohn A man of your experience should know that two good 110 amp batteries could last 4 or 5 days or longer without any input from solar.

Of course, that depends on what power you are taking out. If its cold and you are running heating, then those blowers can kill a couple of 110's quite easily in a very short time.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Good post Eddie, when you break it all down it makes sense, also we know we are getting decent components, I am perfectly capable of the fitting side BUT I do not like buggering around with wiring in my pride and joy!,

Andy

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Of course, that depends on what power you are taking out. If its cold and you are running heating, then those blowers can kill a couple of 110's quite easily in a very short time.

I agree but I'd like to think those of us that have the set up being discussed would know not to use the blowers and tailor their usage to suit.
In my first post I did imply that it would not be ideally suited to extended periods off grid in winter. I and I'm sure a few others manage fine with the 2 batteries and a couple of pannels all year round . To imply that it's not possible or wise to rely purely on solar is misleading.

Vlad[/QUOTE]

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have 2 x 100ah batteries and a 100watt solar, we only went on a campsite for 2 nights during our last 3 months in Spain (April, May, June ) But I wouldn't like to try that with cold nights and dull days during December, January or February...
We are going to somewhere in Spain for our first "overwintering with the snowbirds" experience at the end of this year (Not Benidorm). We havn't yet decided where, but somewhere quiet....
We will definitely need hookup !!!
Mitch.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have one bank of 2 x 110 amp/hr batteries that are charged solely by Solar, one 80W panel angled at the sun and aligned due south ensure we have 6-8 hours of TV a day in the summer we have never run out, in fact never charged by anything else for the past 4 years on trips away up to 3 weeks. Though we have added a second 80W to ensure we can manage in the winter as well. Our van used as an office during the day all year round and TV on for at least 3 hours a day so it can be done. phones and laptop charged via an inverter (because its there anyway during the morning and other batteries up to full power by lunchtime. It really depends how much you take out.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Polychrystalline is about 70% of the efficiency of monochrystalline.

I believe poly is a man made chrystal whereas mono is a natural chrystal.
Watt for watt Poly requires more surface area than Mono so a 100 watt poly is physically bigger for the same output BUT Mono produces better than Poly in less sunny conditions.
Poly are natural crystals hence the lack of uniformity and the fragmentation.
Mono are man made (y)
3x100 mono 1200x540mm each
image.jpg

I installed these February 2013

Beware at shows! I have witnessed more than one trader advertising poly panels as mono and most buyers don't have a clue

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back