rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
has anyone had experience of removing the fridge from a autotrail cheyenne ?
i removed the screws and tried to pull it forwards, but its such a tight fit i'm thinking I've missed something, cos i can't get it. out any suggestions , much appreciated

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I'm sure you have disconnected the gas pipe at the rear via the outside vent haven't you?
And there are usually four screws holding it in place.
When I removed my fridge recently it was a very, very tight fit in the housing and it took two of us to wrangle it out. One pulling inside the van and one pushing at the back through the outside vent.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's normal for a fridge to be a really tight fit, need to try and keep it square with even pressure otherwise you don't stand a chance. Try removing the outside vents and have two people pushing one at the bottom other at the top.
They are just as hard to get back in, good luck.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
yep all disconnected ,and I've managed to move it forward about three inches but its getting tighter and i don't want to damage the surround

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Watching this with interest.. We have a Thetford fridge freezer in the Chieftain which seems to be somewhat flaky and only works in certain external temperature ranges..
I suspect in the not too distant future I am gonna have to lob out about a grand ( how bloody crazy is that, the same technology would cost about £250 if it was not motorhome related ) and replace it with a decent one (Dometic )

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you need to use a flat bar underneath to ease it forwards. some can be really difficult

you also need to disconnect the wires too. a good tip is to take a few photos with your phone to remind you how it goes back

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
well i'm in benidorm at the moment. if its gonna be that awkward to get out, i best leave it till i get home, in familiar surroundings. in case i break summat and start sobbing uncontrollably ha ha

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
There are several possibilities;

Have you cut through the silicone seal at the rear. This can be accessed through the top vent.
Assuming that you have disconnected gas, 12v connections the 240 volt wire remains connected until the fridge is removed - is the wire fouling down one side. The fridges do tend to be a tight fit in the carcase but if you have done all the above then as far as I know there's nothing more that will be holding the thing in place.

Hope this helps

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
you need to use a flat bar underneath to ease it forwards. some can be really difficult

you also need to disconnect the wires too. a good tip is to take a few photos with your phone to remind you how it goes back
The wires on ours were long enough and didn't need disconnecting. Just had to cut the cable ties that had been used to keep the wires tidy.
It is important to keep the thing square as you try to remove it which will be very difficult single handed.
As others have said though, once the gas is disconnected and the screws removed there should be nothing halo ding it in place except the tight fit.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Often the screws used to hold the fridge raise the metal around the screw holes. This is sharp and digs into the adjacent cupboards and as well as making it difficult to slide the fridge out can damage the wood surrounding the front of the fridge. I use four slivers of metal cut from a food can to ease the screw holes past the visible wood.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back