Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi All

Can anyone tell me which dongles they consider the best.

How long does 3gb allowance last if just surfing the internet and sending emails.

Sorry a bit of a thicky in this field :Eeek::Eeek:.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The general feeling at present is that Vodaphone has the better coverage and you can buy a PAYG sim in Spain that works. The other MHF site has had a posting on the subject.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
maplins are doing a 3 dongle with 12 gig lasts 12 mnths approx depedant on use for £99
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I work all over the country and have used dongles on all the networks.
The best performance, I've found, is on the 3 network. I have never been unable to connect on 3, whereas the Vodafone one I had previously would often be unusable.

I use it every day for several hours and never come close to the 3Gb limit (although I don't do much downloading.)
I would definitely recommend 3 :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone tell me which dongles they consider the best.
How long does 3gb allowance last if just surfing the internet and sending emails.

I have a "3", it's pretty hopeless in Scotland.

1G, I find I have to deliberately abuse with YouTube to use it up in a month.

Every character on this page is 1 byte, 1G = 1,000,000,000 bytes. So you would have to read 200,000,000 words to use it. That's about 500,000 full A4 pages.

It's pictures and videos that are the killer. Quality video is about 1G per hour.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use '3'network, and have used 3gb in two months.. and I don't download movies or music, it's too slow..
so it all depends on how much you use it.. I'm on for about 16 hrs a day ..

Jan bought the 12month, 12gb deal at Curry's for £89 .

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Dongles are like mobile phones it all depends where you are,
we are on the 3 network and we get about a bit the only
place it played up was the west midlands

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Has anyone got any experience of the antennas that are available to boost the 3g signal in weak areas

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
had to use my 'T' mobile dongle on thursday as 'normal' broadband was down.

surfing, reading and posting threads on here, doing the quiz, checking emails, 5pm 'til gone midnight.....15mb

i think there are 3,000 mb to 3 gb which is my contract limit per month on 'T'

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I just got a free dongle from T Mobile at £14.99pm with 3GB with unlimited download.................(T Mobile uses the same beacons as 3 so they have 98% coverage in the UK :)

Boo

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I have the "3" dongle, on contract @£10 per month. The shock came on return from the continent. No usage on my standard allowance but £30 for use on continent. Needless to say contract finishes in April, and I mean Finishes.
I am hoping that it can be unlocked like a mobile phone.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hiya, I have used a Vodaphone dongle for about a year now and have always managed to get a signal of some sort. When the signal is poor it works on 2G and shows a green light, a stronger signal shows blue for 3G and a light blue denotes 3G+ which is really quick. I have no experience of other networks so cannot make a comparison but as I said I have always managed a signal of some sort and I travel the entire length an breadth of Britain.

Hope this is of some help, Derek.:thumb:

pogon

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
I have a 3g dongle for £7.50 per mth with 5gb download. On special offer for 1 week. I havent used 5gb in 5 mths

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Sweet Chariot, Don't raise your hopes too high for dongles in France, the 3g coverage isn't that good. I have got an sfr dongle which, interestingly, thinks it is a vodafone dongle according to the software when you load it up. It is supposed to work on sfr 3g and sfr Edge, in fact it barely works on Edge, it keeps dropping the connection and is next to useless. Even more than in the UK it depends where you are, you would need to check the orange/ sfr/ btel etc websites to see if there is any coverage where you will be, and even then I don't know how roaming works if you are using a UK dongle. If you are travelling expect it to be very hit and miss, and outside of big cities and major tourist spots mainly miss. But there are so many MacDo's with free wifi, why bother really, wait until 3g spreads a bit more. IMHO.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi ..we have just phoned 3g to ask for cost of useing it in France and Belgium they said it will cost £3.00 per megabit how big is a megabit ?how long will it last?. of coruse they said we could use it in France free when we were buying it!!!

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Hi Lugnutt, if you look at page 1 of this thread I think you will find the answer to your question. Quite big from the looks of it.

jean and robert

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
West yorkshire/France
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
27 years
We have a 3 dongle, as we cancelled our landline last November we rely on it 100%. We are supposed to be in a good area to recieve the 3 network but when we started it had only one bar on the strenth of signal and occasionally lost it. Because we are motohome forum addicts one dongle wasn't good enough so we decided to buy a 3 router. Apart from both been able to use internet at the same time it also has boostered our signal strenth. We were lucky to get the package where you got 5Gbts for £7.50, although we are tied in for eighteen month. With both of us using the internet for several hours a day we rarely use more than 2Gbts, although we never download videos. The site still occasionally goes down, it it usally at the time of a snow storm or heavy rain. Jean and Robert Bruce

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi..so as i see it 1000 megabites to a gig pappajohn used 15mb 5 till midnight so £3 a megabite =£45 think ill get some pigeons

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back