hawkins wi fi antenna dish (1 Viewer)

M

manovision

Deleted User
Have read some posts about this piece of kit. Can somebody explain to me how it works ? Do i just plug it in to my laptop and away I go ? The reason I ask is because whenever I take my pc to mates houses, I always seem to need a network key or something to use their router, so surely if I am out by a lake doing some fishing in the middle of France or the UK and I can get a WiFi signal from a nearby house or farm, then it seems to me that I will need to input this key. Or am I being stupid.

If its a case of buy one and then away you go then I will get one ordered as I have a dongle but it so slow at loading up pages.

Paul

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Paul. I use a Hawkins Wi-Fi antenna dish its works fine every where EU..GB..USA etc, but it won't solve your problem. All it does (and it does it well) is to increase the strength of the wi-fi you receive.
Your problem is you are trying to access a secure site which without the pass word or code you are prevented from using . Its secure to stop people like you (and me) from getting a free Wi-Fi service it also protects the information (credit card, bank details etc) on the owners computer
If you want to be a tight wad (like me) buy a Wi-Fi finder from eBay that will show you where Wi-Fi is (not if its secure or non-secure) fire up and check if your luck is in. Put free Wi-Fi in your search engine it will return pages of free site.

REMEMBER
if your using non secure WI-Fi your computer and all its information is out there for any body to look at and use

Nozzel

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
And don't forget it is illegal to piggy back onto someones network, even if they are daft enough not to have it encrypted, unless it is somewhere like McDonalds etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have found that in some countrys, ie Spain, Portugal and Germany and probable many more but I don't know of them, there are perfecty legal wifi stations that are setup deliberately for free connections ie Librarys, cafe's govenment educational centres, amateur radio operators and probable many more I have just not found!!

So all this talk of illegality is just that, TALK, you don't have to break any laws to get a connection!!!

Just because The UK has a fixation on political correctness and its citizen's beaten into submission does not mean the rest of Europe has!!!!

So lets just stop all this scaremongering and tell the good points as well as the bad one's

Doug...

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Not scare mongering, just pointing out a fact..............

Wifi Hijacking Conviction

In the first case of its kind in the UK, a man has been prosecuted for hijacking a wireless broadband connection and has been fined 500 pounds and sentenced to twelve months's conditional discharge. While there have been several convictions for theft of credit card information over wireless networks, this case involved the theft of wifi signals for something as pedestrian as browsing the Internet. Considering the fact that in the United States there are millions of wifi users and that it is relatively easy to use a neighbor's signal even for users who have virtually no technical expertise, it may only be a matter of time before a litany of cases like this appear in U.S. courts.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hey why not build your own wifi booster::bigsmile:

Link Removed

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WG111-Wireless-54Mbps-Adapter/dp/B0002LHX8O/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007YQO36&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0RBEV313CE9PB5SMYHN0"]click here[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-5M-USB-Extension-Cable/dp/B000HOJQLS/ref=pd_cp_ce_2?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DG4WP&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0GQG4ZR4BK82EFPM3Q5V"]click here[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I've got one of these it is very good for weak signals

Link Removed

Phil.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
size doesn't matter its what you do with your little dongle:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is always people with little Dongles that claim size doesn't matter... I've been claiming it for years... But today I got rid of my little Dongle all together and fitted the SIM card into the internal thingy in the laptop. I can now move the laptop around the van without the dangling Dongle to worry about at all...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not too painful Sinbad but thanks for the concern! Nearly damaged a finger nail pushing it in until it clicked (the SIM card not the finger nail)...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have read some posts about this piece of kit. Can somebody explain to me how it works ? Paul

Very, VERY well !

I got mine this week, just had time to try it.

Laptop has built in WiFi and reasonable performance, picked up 2 WiFis, mine being one of them.

Load up the Hawking drivers ( they say you must download the latest off www ). Use the same Vista network program -- 15 - Yes FIFTEEN WiFis logged.

Only 2 were unsecured.

So that has to be logged as a success.

And it's so damned sexy sitting there.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
is it possible to use a sat. dish to replace a dongle??
Poor old Cheyne (upmarkethippie) cannot get a signal where he is staying, and is also thinking of getting a TV.
Digital without a dish is a non-starter here, so it would be nice if he could combine the two!!
Nigel & Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Poor old Cheyne (upmarkethippie) cannot get a signal where he is staying, and is also thinking of getting a TV.
Digital without a dish is a non-starter here, so it would be nice if he could combine the two!!
Nigel & Pamala

Hi Nigel

Yes you can , at a price £4k

Link Removed

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Nigel & Pamala

Technically yes you put a wifi dongle were the LNB should go, but the problem is that USB ports dont work to good if the cable is longer that 3 meters

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Technically yes you put a wifi dongle were the LNB should go, but the problem is that USB ports dont work to good if the cable is longer that 3 meters

Doug...

Hi Doug

I don't understand, how can you get the internet from a satellite using a wifi dongle ?

are we at cross purposes ?

Jim

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi Doug

I don't understand, how can you get the internet from a satellite using a wifi dongle ?

Jim

you dont get it from a satelite it merely becomes a wifi booster/finder

Click here

sorry that shows the making of the antenna ;but the principle is the same except the dongle goes where the antena is

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you dont get it from a satelite it merely becomes a wifi booster/finder

Click here

sorry that shows the making of the antenna ;but the principle is the same except the dongle goes where the antena is

I understand how that works.. but as I understood the question, Sundowner asked how to get TV and internet from a Satellite, I gave the answer, then Doug suggested using a dongle with a dish.. obviously a misunderstanding .. and at cross purposes. :Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Doug

Jim

It has nothing to do with satellite's it about using the dish as a reflector for the dongle, remeber wifi and satellite transmissions are in microwave..

Doug..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I give up.. please read the posts again..

Sundowner asked about TV and internet from a satellite, I gave a solution then you suggested a dongle.. we are at cross purposes, I know how dongles work ..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nigel & Pamala

Digital from a satellite and internet .. ?

Hi Nigel

Yes you can , at a price £4k

Link Removed

My reply

Doug...

your reply

Obviously one of us is misunderstanding Sundowner

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Ok, I will start again.

A wifi dongle is a microwave radio transmitter and receiver

The LNB on a satellite dish is a microwave radio receiver

A telephone dongle is a microwave radio transitter and receiver

All these gadgets use microwave but on different frequencies and as microwave RF is reflected from metal you can use a shaped piece of metal, a parabolic reflector, to direct the bounced signal to the tranceiver.

So by putting a dongle where the LNB should be you can use the parabolic dish to increase the avalable signal.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No need to start again .. did you misunderstood sundowners question .. ?

he asked about using a sat dish to receive TV and the Internet REPLACING the dongle with a Sat dish.. not using it WITH a dongle.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
No need to start again .. but you misunderstood sundowners question ..

he asked about using a sat dish to receive TV and the Internet REPLACING the dongle with a Sat dish.. not using it WITH a dongle.

This thread started off with the hawkins wifi amplifier ;but sundowners post was somewhat off topic, since satilite and and dogles were mentioned there has been confusion.

And yes Jim your response to sundowner was correct ::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Very, VERY well !

I got mine this week, just had time to try it.

Laptop has built in WiFi and reasonable performance, picked up 2 WiFis, mine being one of them.

Load up the Hawking drivers ( they say you must download the latest off www ). Use the same Vista network program -- 15 - Yes FIFTEEN WiFis logged.

Only 2 were unsecured.

So that has to be logged as a success.

And it's so damned sexy sitting there.

Hi Brian where did you get it from? interested in one myself.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back