Vehicle Ownership? - How do you know the seller owns what he's selling? (1 Viewer)

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
There will always be ownership horror stories with vehicles. "Caveat emptor" and all that, but how do you check if the dealer selling to you actually owns the vehicle he's selling? Especially if it's a recent import. I don't want to hand it back to the rightful owner!!

1. I can check the VIN number in the manual and on the vehicle. (Drivers door jamb + thru passenger windscreen - right?).

2. I check the title and registration match the name and address of the dealer selling. But a new import is not going to have a V5C registration certificate for weeks. . . . . . .

I want to be prepared about what to look out for during the buying process....

Any guidance and tips will be most welcome.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
IMHO if buying from a dealer you can be pretty much assured that they have the authority to sell it if they don't actually own it.
It would be a very stupid dealer to sell stolen vans. Or am I being terribly naive ???
I'm sure someone will be along to give a more experienced view.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There will always be ownership horror stories with vehicles. "Caveat emptor" and all that, but how do you check if the dealer selling to you actually owns the vehicle he's selling? Especially if it's a recent import. I don't want to hand it back to the rightful owner!!

1. I can check the VIN number in the manual and on the vehicle. (Drivers door jamb + thru passenger windscreen - right?).

2. I check the title and registration match the name and address of the dealer selling. But a new import is not going to have a V5C registration certificate for weeks. . . . . . .

I want to be prepared about what to look out for during the buying process....

Any guidance and tips will be most welcome.

Unfortunately, the V5C is not proof of ownership. Transfers of vehicles in UK is a very lax system compared to some other countries in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The V5C doesn't prove ownership - just indicates who the registered keeper was at the time it was issued.

I have been known to ask for a copy of the V5C and to contact the person on it - and the owner before that. Still not fool proof but gives some reassurance.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Highly unlikely a reputable dealer is knowingly selling a stolen van..

if your buying from a well known dealer look for reviews.. or ask on here
But how does the dealer know whether the vehicle is not stolen, especially if it has been imported? Apparently a lot of cars are stolen in, say, Germany and driven to Bulgaria where it is easy to re-register any vehicle for a small amount of cash. They are then driven to Spain and 'legally' re-registerd again. Voila, one apparently legal vehicle.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought if you brought from a dealer and the vehicle was later found to be stolen the dealer has to re-enburse you (assuming still trading) but buy privately and you loose out.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
You should get your money back.
The dealer should be insured against his loss

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If buying ftom a dealer in UK you have got the weight of consumer law on your side and I agree, a reputable dealer would be stupid to sell a stolen vehicle. One could ruin their business.
Could you check with the previous owner? ( shown on the registration document)

I did buy a dodgy vehicle from a dealer ( it had to be me!) in France. The local Gendarmes got involved, I returned the vehicle and hot a full refund. I still don't know exactly what was wrong ( it appeared to be an older vehicle that had acquired a newer identity) One problem in France was that vehicles were given new plates when they moved Department.

In UK I think you are on much safer ground.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
muddywellies

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
You are all very reassuring! After your bricks + mortar home, this has got to be pretty scary with a wallop of doh on one depreciating product. My nerves are a little ragged after reading too many horror stories....

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Caveat emptor does not apply to a professional dealer, there are many more rules and laws a dealer has to abode by. Caveat emptor applies really only to a private sale, IMHO

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
An HPI check will show if the vehicle has history...stolen, outstanding finance, write off etc.
it will also confirm the keepers name and address.

Private seller.......the Address is the key factor.
alway insist on meeting the seller at the keepers address on the V5.....and not just on the footath outside, actually in the house.
at least that will confirm the V5 address is genuine....and unless it a very brave thief that should confirm the seller is genuine
check the VIN number tally's both on the van and the V5.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
european sales of goods far more protective. after x years unlike here you dont have to prove the fault...Still dealers responsibility. UK in the dark ages and not only price wise

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
In law the dealer is an expert and has to carry the responsibility of that expertise. So buy from a dealer in the safe knowledge that even if there is some previous lien or outstanding finance that the dealer would have to take the loss.

Buying from the general public merely as a member of the general public and you run a much higher risk, in which case follow Pappajohn's advice, HPI and check addresses, walk away if in doubt!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back