LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have gave up waiting for my Truma combi to be fixed and have fitted a Propex malaga 5e water heater that seems to be ok, easy to install gas and/or electric but cant make up my mind on a air heater, the one thing that i did like about the truma was how quiet it was, i have in mind the propex 2000e but unsure about the noise it will make anyone got any views.
Steve

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Steve, not sure what type or anything technical... Terry fitted something in my daughter's van and I am sure he may have dealt with the one you mention at sometime. Might be worth a prod. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't know much about Propex heaters but my neighbor fitted one to his self build I should be able to get him to fire it for me and I can have listen, if that's any help.

The Propex 2000e only has a 2kw output and you are replacing a Combi which would have been either 4kw or 6kw, looks like you would need 2 or 3 of them to get the same heat output.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
good point lenny! i may be being a bit quick in discarding the combi it does.....did work well. it isnt untill you doing some digging though that you see just how many people have trouble with them. i hope the newer ones are more relieable

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted the Propex in my conversion under the cupboard units but although it works very well it's a bit noisy.
Not back from Spain until the end of March but it's on my list of jobs to do to try and make it a bit quieter.

Mike

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have a Propex 2000 in my conversion and its rubbish! Noisy and allergic to cold weather, the colder it gets the less chance of it working. For blown air heating I'd go for the Truma E2400 now. What's the problem with the Combi?

D.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Thanks for the replys,
Dave, the pcb has gone for some reason, its still under warranty so iam hoping that i wont have to pay? it isnt untill you start to compare you see how good the combi is. High output low noise but a lot of people have had problems.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
W
Thanks for the replys,
Dave, the pcb has gone for some reason, its still under warranty so iam hoping that i wont have to pay? it isnt untill you start to compare you see how good the combi is. High output low noise but a lot of people have had problems.
When you look at how many vans are fitted with them, nearly every manufacturer uses them & you only hear about the ones that go wrong, there. Are a lot out there working fine but you don't hear about them.
What I do find annoying are charges like over 300 quid for replacement PCB when they could probably be repaired for an hour or twos labour and a few bobs worth of bits.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks for the replys,

So what's the delay in replacing the PCB, its not that big a job unless the motorhome manufacturer buried the Combi in an inaccessible place. PCBs are usually easy to get hold of.

D.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have a 1600W Propex in the trailer and a 2000 going in the Mercedes,

While they are not quiet, we've never found the noise that bad and if they are sited in a cupboard they aren't intrusive.

Broken Link Removed

They are also relatively small which can be a bonus, and easily installed.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
So what's the delay in replacing the PCB, its not that big a job unless the motorhome manufacturer buried the Combi in an inaccessible place. PCBs are usually easy to get hold of.

D.
according the the repairer they are still waiting for the part from truma, that was thursday, not much i can do really i will speak to them again on monday. As i live in the van 95% of the time having no heating/hotwater is a problem i have got around but i do like to be self relient so i am thinking of a back-up system. I have sorted the hot water with a malaga 5e but would also like to have a back-up for the heating.
Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Got bored over the weekend and went out and bought a propex 2000e after firing it up I decided to put it in the back under my bed in a box, it is as others have said it’s a bit noisy!

Hope to get the truma back Thursday their service guy is coming to check it Wednesday as they are questioning the workshops report so one way or the other I will get it back £300 lighter of not.

Attachments

• DSC_2353.JPG
    DSC_2353.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_2355.JPG
    DSC_2355.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_2356.JPG
    DSC_2356.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_2351.JPG
    DSC_2351.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_2350.JPG
    DSC_2350.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 22

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
If you guys think a propex
is nosey you should try an erbersplasher
Cheers Gray

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Remember Truma give another year after the converters warranty runs out. Our's packed up after 2 years and they put in a brand new unit and gave another 2 yr warranty.

I did turn up at their main factory in Bavaria though. The UK and Spanish main dealer in Valencia faffed about.

Phenomenal service from them, not so good elsewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back