Lewis/Harris/North Uist/South Uist/Barra (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
hia

As the title suggests it is a visit to The Outer Hebredes

We are 2 MotorHomes doing this visit and 1 dog

Was going from Ullapool to Stormness but they are not sailing from Ullapool due to harbour matainence. They are doing a sail from Uig Skye to Stormness but they have not got the sailings or prices yet. Will take 2 1/2 hours

We are ok with the ferries

So no matter when we go in May there is no rush

So my question is

Any recommendations in any of the areas of places to visit and places to stay
Thank you

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go fromUig to Tarbert, then drive up the Island to Stornoway less time and money on that crossing!!!!!!
image.jpg

Use google earth to explore the islands !

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi Polly, We sailed from Uig to Lockmaddy (1.45hrs). Did South Uist (cl site) and then north Uist stayed at the RSPB Balranald site and then went over to Harris and Lewis. We never plan our ferries, done it the day before as we are not good sailors and we like it calm. When over on the islands we went to tourist information for campsites and what to see. We stayed in hotel car park in Tarbet (evening meal) and sailed from there next morning back to Uig. (7 weeks). Go and enjoy. Terry and Shirley.

Attachments

• 399.JPG
    399.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 26

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
We did this last year and loved it. We stayed on Flodder Bay campsite on Harris, a privately owned site, they have a web site. The owner is an ex chef and we had a fantastic seafood meal delivered to the van. Not the cheapest site but worth the trouble for the experience. The site is high up and the owner tells you just how to tackle the short drive up before you do it! ( Don't stop basically)
We then used a site on Lewis, Eileen Doonan ( I think) from one of the club books ( Cc or CCC can't remember) This was a good over nightstop. Well used but again only 5 pitches.

As to what to see we looked at all the neolithic sites and also stopped off at a weavers ( you must do this) There are many ancient sites to see, well signposted and a good map will do it.Stone circles and other stops.

BUT If we had known there are many cheap ( not sure if it is free) beautiful camp stops on Lewis on the Western coast right on the beaches. There were motorhomes overlooking the sea, not many, but proper stops for us to use.
One was on the beach where the Lewis Chess men were found, at the far end of lewis, a good drive along fair roads, many of the roads are very good as the highlands has lottery money.
You could fill up with water and it had loos, a shower and a kitchen for use. You paid a small amount at the house at the top. So don't book everything would be my advice, we did and regretted that we didn't know about the beach stops, miles and miles of sand and just a couple of motorhomes and campers. Look on the Lweis web site I am sure it will be on there.
Hope you enjoy it
LC

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We wild camped up in the hills of Lewis quite close to Stornaway. Just find one of the many pull ins, dont use passing places. Harris has the most amazing deserted beaches I have seen, so just find a nice place that doesn't cause any inconvenience and park up. I think we stopped at a church on North Uist, as long as you are respectful of the area and use common sense you will be welcomed in the most unusual and unexpected places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Totally agree with Lindacarole you have got to stay at flodabay campsite. This is where we parked not quite at the top.

Attachments

• 404.JPG
    404.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 408.JPG
    408.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 58
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Please take a look at out OuterHebrides album. We had a lovely time. We can't wait to go back. This year we shall have a smaller outfit. We are downsizing to a pvc. We wild camped mostly only using a campsite for 3 nights throughout the holiday. We love out of the way rural locations and this trip was perfect.
No midges at all and lovely weather, we were so lucky.
You'll have a lovely time.
We did the hopscotch 12 reverse. With the ferry tickets. We saw Dolphins otters an eagle. Camped on beaches , sand dunes, and in the middle of nowhere.
image.jpg

This was the route we took. Ferry wise. But toured around each island.
image.jpg

Can't remember this one but it's named in the album
image.jpg

You can see our Motorhome in the distance in the centre of the pic. Huisinis .

Last edited:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
You can also take a peek at my travel journal if you like

I went over bridge to Skye, across and round island, up to Tarbert, then to north end of Harris, then all down the Outer Hebrides. I didn't use any campsites, mainly as either they weren't open, or I was too big to fit.

Stopped at some wonderful spots, and there were many more I could have stopped at. Highly recommended - I was there in May. There were midges but I took some Vit B tablets and Skin so Soft, and although I am HIGHLY allergic to any sort of bites had no problems at all.

Among the highlights of the tour for me were a trip to Fingal's Cave, a meal and stop over at Polochar Inn with a fabulous sunset, the airplane landing on beach at Barra, the Machair at Berneray, watching the dolphins on the return crossing to Oban - well too many to mention really but the weather had a lot to do with things. When the weather is good everything is beautiful, but when its bad........

Have a look at www.theworldismylobster.org.uk around May/June time 2014

OP
OP
Polly Put The Kettle On
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

THANK YOU ALL
I am getting excited
I have already put some names down so will have to have a few minutes putting them in some kind of order where abouts they are
Yes this is where the fun begins
And I have already ordered skin so soft

Didn't know about the fit B tablets
But will try

Will the midges bother the dog. Sorry could be a silly question

But thanks again
For taking the time to reply

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have been 4 times now, love it more each time, but do less planning each time as well

we swear by Jungle Formula and get the roll on variant, put on us and dogs head, we are all bothered equally by the midges when they appear, but not seen many on Western Isles. They don't come out in rain or winds above 4mph

Also recommend the route in from Uig on Skye, we went out to Lochmaddy on North Uist, then went down to Barras then back up to Harris coming back to Skye from Tarbert

Have not been in school holidays but never found it busy, the Flodabay site only has three places but we found it expensive and not worth the effort, but given the costs they must have putting in the road and electrics the price is OK ish think we paid £25 /night

we used a mixture of sites and off site

but it is a great place, having said that so is the whole of north west Scotland, infact most of Scotland for that, the only place I would never go back to is John O Groats, but the surrounding are is worth a look, stacks to the east by the lighthouse, Dunnet Head just west the 'real' top of Scotland

just checking ferry / tunnel prices for April / May, might be going back up here ourselves :)

you cant fail to enjoy it up there (y)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hia

THANK YOU ALL
I am getting excited
I have already put some names down so will have to have a few minutes putting them in some kind of order where abouts they are
Yes this is where the fun begins
And I have already ordered skin so soft

Didn't know about the fit B tablets
But will try

Will the midges bother the dog. Sorry could be a silly question

But thanks again
For taking the time to reply

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
The midges got in Phoebe's ears until I gave them a spray with Skin so Soft. That's how I am fairly certain it works. Being so susceptible to bites of any sort I was smothered with the stuff, but never thought about the dog getting bitten. But of course they kept away from me but went straight for her. Once she was sprayed as well she seemed fine. Before that she even bought some into Thebus with her, and even with them inside I didn't get bitten at all. Mind you - I put so much on I set the gas alarm off several times
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For the midgies we use Smidge (made by the people who do the Midge Forecast that @ronidog1 mentioned) - a little dab on your skin & it's as though there's a 12 inch zappy force-field around you. My can lives in my rucksack so that I never forget it in midgie season! It also works for ticks -

BUT ALSO - don't forget a tick remover and to check regularly for ticks - a rare problem but best avoided.
Broken Link Removed

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We bought single ferry tickets as we went, rather than the 'Hopscotch' offer. It actually worked out cheaper for us too - I think because we used the Skye bridge, rather than the ferry from Mallaig to Skye. But the real reason we did it was to gain maximum flexibility - we could change our route at a whim. And once you have your first booking on the ferry, their system 'knows' you and it's dead easy from then on.

With the inter-island ferries we'd usually roll up to the departure ramp, have a look at the electronic departures board - then ring CalMac from the van and check the next ferry was on time and had availability and make a reservation there and then; and pay on the ferry. All very easy and we thought the Cal Mac staff were great and extremely helpful.

Have a great trip.

Mike

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Outer Hebrides is on our list, thanks for the,lovely photos and wilding ideas. Been to Skye several times and watched the sun dip behind the OH. Orkney is a wonderful place for archeological things if that's your bag.

Re midges, Smidge and skin so soft work well, except SSS brought my face out in spots! I buy some anti histamine tabs a week before I go, take one each night, and if you do get bitten it minimises the itch a lot.
Have a great time
Lesley

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The dreaded midge's don't really get into their stride until mid may & are only at their worst when the weather is warm & damp.

Hope this helps...Robert & Hazel.

OP
OP
Polly Put The Kettle On
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
His

Thanks for all your thoughts on the subject and your information

Tonight I am thinking along the idea of going from Uig to Tarbert and take it from there
Possibly coming back Lochmaddy to Uig

But I can still change my mind

Uig to Lochmaddy coming back Tarbert to Uig ha ha

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Polly Put The Kettle On
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

While Ullapool harbour is having work done in early May
There are no ferries o Stornoway but Caledonian are running a ferry from Uig Skye to Stornoway this takes 2 hours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back