Chinese Sat Nav loves motorway slip roads (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I've tried searching for an answer to this as I think I've read about it in the past but no luck.

Our Satnav seems to tell us to leave the motorways at a junction only to go round the roundabout and straight back on.

By looking at the route, I can see that is what it is suggesting so can ignore it but is there a way to stop this?

I've tried using a car profile (with height and width set) and seem to get the same result.

Any ideas on stopping this please?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes mine did that on way from Leeds to Blackpool. I believe it was old maps at fault.
Until you get updated I would select the view that shows a more zoomed out view so you can see what it intends and ignore the manoeuvre

Reactions: dna

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
It's not just the Chinese ones, our Garmin insists on us going on to the island at the Manchester end of the M602 instead of just going ahead and continuing on to the A57.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
It's definitely not just Chinese satnavs! Believe it or not my 2011 Jag XF does that even with the latest DVD satnav update. Monday, got on the M1 J29 to go to Nuneaton and "she" wanted me to get off at J28, go round the roundabout, and get back on again. Last year we were on our way to Southampton to get the Santander ferry and about 10 miles from destination, off the motorway, round the local countryside and back on the motorway again!
It's the only thing I don't like about the car.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Bad street routing parameters. They have the road segments for the junction set as motorways so they see them as shorter but the same speed. They should apply a time penalty for junctions which would see the roundabout as slowing you down and avoid it. Can you alter the routing parameters? Perhaps you have it set to shortest route instead of quickest or cheapest.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Can you alter the routing parameters? Perhaps you have it set to shortest route instead of quickest or cheapest.
That was my thought on this, I have come unstuck a few times having shortest routes as the setting. It can take you on some of the worst single track lanes imaginable. But then again the fastest route can do the same if a track cuts a huge corner off a journey.
I always liked my out of date TomTom showing me I was in a field when travelling on a new stretch of the A1. (y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If its sophisticated enough to have 'cheapest' there's a lot to be said for that profile as it should prioritise staying on the same road over negotiating junctions.. except in France where it will avoid tolls etc

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, not just the Chinese ones. It's the way the software is written. The problem with fastest and shortest route settings is that small amounts like a few seconds or metres can affect the result and the software isn't always well enough written to cope.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Google maps.. although not for the high or weighty and needs data

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I used to get that with my Snooper, which for many reasons I sold. I believe the problem may be GPS fix accuracy, so the nav unit "sees" you on a road next door or whatever and cannot work out what to do. I have 2 tablets running CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck, and had similar issues at random. I now have a Garmin Glo set right up in the windscreen, feeding position data via bluetooth to the tablets and have not had the problem since, that I can recall. Also get better fixes at complicated junctions.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I will try rolling back to previous version of software with updated maps and see how that goes. I didn't get this happening before the update.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I never set shortest route but i had a look......

Scarborough to a Manchester address...
fastest route = 2hr 14mins...112 miles
shortest route =over 4 hrs with an overall saving of 8 miles.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ours wants us to go around every roundabout on the A5, but the road now continues right on underneath. I just put it down to obsolete maps, however, as with all sat navs, it is never wise to slavishly follow the damned things. You have to be aware, of coarse, that driver thought and input into a route, (by observing road signs), makes all the difference.

Reactions: GJH

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Agree that you have to think a bit. Got one of these Chinese ones a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for it to go wrong! Didn't help with my sister talking to me all the way to look at a new van, but today without her, no problems! I downloaded a bit of music on to it and linked it to the radio, now the only problem was that when Robert Plant was into Living Loveing Maid, a voice came over to tell me I was over the speed limit and had missed my turning! For this sort of price there must be something wrong with them, but as yet I cant find it. I drive a large van for a living and the sat nav in it still tells me to go down roads I know would be impossible for me.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My original tomtom always took me off the m20 at Canterbury and back on again, so it looks like any of them can do it. My Chinese cheapy has only done it to me once, but as I only use it in the motorhome and never set the shortest route.

Shortest route is good in a car though if not in a hurry as they take the scenic back roads.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Agree that you have to think a bit. Got one of these Chinese ones a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for it to go wrong! Didn't help with my sister talking to me all the way to look at a new van, but today without her, no problems! I downloaded a bit of music on to it and linked it to the radio, now the only problem was that when Robert Plant was into Living Loveing Maid, a voice came over to tell me I was over the speed limit and had missed my turning! For this sort of price there must be something wrong with them, but as yet I cant find it. I drive a large van for a living and the sat nav in it still tells me to go down roads I know would be impossible for me.
Had mine for two years now, and apart from refusing to take me over a bridge in Cumbria, (my fault, neglected to enter the weight of the van, and it was pre-set on four tons), I have found it invaluable. Especially when you consider the price of the Tom Tom alternative. As GJH said last year, "For 50 quid, you could afford to replace it every year, and still be quids in". Have you tried the reversing camera for it? 25 quid, and its a radio unit. Works well. (For the money, that is).(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back