Money for 8 week break (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
I"m a newbie
We are going to Europe later this year and would like to Know how you more experienced travellers manage over a long period. ie Cash/ Debit cards/ Credit card.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I always use a Caxton card which I charge up with Euros when the rate is relatively good and I can withdraw cash at any ATM without charge. For fuel, shopping etc I use a Nationwide credit card and get a commercial rate of exchange.

You can top up the Caxton card by text, Internet or phone from anywhere and get the cash within a couple of hours.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It may be worth considering getting one of the credit cards that don't charge for foreign transactions (and give a relatively good exchange rate). They tend to have a higher rate of interest so make sure you pay it in full when due.

I have one from Halifax, but I'm sure there are many others. Whatever you do don't use your debit card - charges are painful.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Jan 21, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
I"m a newbie
Many thanks for your quick replies..Looks like my recently aquired Nat West credit card charges 2.75% so it may be ditched in favour of Nationwide.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I use post office credit card - no charges on purchases abroad, or on foreign cash purchase from the post office in the UK (use quidco and get £27.50 cashback if you're a new customer when applying for the card and also use quidco for post office cash purchase and get £3 cashback). And N&P debit card - no charges on cash withdrawal abroad.

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have one from Halifax, but I'm sure there are many others. Whatever you do don't use your debit card - charges are painful.

Brian
No charges with Cumberland BS Visa card, but they only open accounts for people living in Cumbria and D&G.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
UKASH offering a little more than Caxton but appears to have a small none use charge so not much between Caxton. I have used Caxton for a while and never encountered any problems although be mindful you will still be charged by a few banks to withdraw cash and is only a small service charge, so I normally take out a few hundred Euro at a time thus avoiding repeat visits to ATM.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Sainsbury to bring out multi currency cash load card on 4th April with no usage charges abroad. Shall be interesting to see what rate they will give when loading up

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The nationwide Select Credit Card is the one that gives commission free transaction, but it's only available to current account holders. on their standard card for every £100 per month you spend in the UK you get a £20 commission free allowance for spending abroad.
We have the select card and try to buy everything with that. Nationwide flex account has charges for drawing out abroad (£1 + 2%) but gives you the commercial exchange rate so overall will not cost much more than a pre-loaded card who exchange rates are not as good. Nationwide Flex Plus account gives free withdrawals abroad.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have 3 no charge credit cards for use abroad - Metrobank; Saga & Nationwide. For no charge debit card we use Metrobank (only use this to withdraw cash from ATM). Of course all cards need to be paid off in full every month.

Denise

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Like ASel we use a Cumberland Building Society Visa Debit card from a current account we have with them. They don't charge for foreign transactions and are quite security conscious in that if you don't tell them online before you use it abroad they won't allow the transaction.
I never use this account for anything else and only keep a small balance in it. but transfer funds into to as I need it so if the card was ever cloned, all they would get is the £100 or so that I have in it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Credit card for tolls and fuel and cash for day to day stuff.

Not telling where we hide it though.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
trust me I am a lorry driver