Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
hi
were off to santander on saturday on the 9.30 crossing and have just read of delays/bad weather so keeping our fingers crossed as this is our first time on this one.
Are there any other members on the same crossing

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Just heard on weather forecast there are 7-8m waves from Santander to Bilbao! Would hate to be sailing through those!:Eeek:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We crossed on that route recently in bad weather. We took some Boots travel sickness tablets and they did the trick for us. The ship was quite noisy as the waves hit it and there was a load of crockery smashed in the restaurant. An inside cabin may help if you can get a choice as there was less noticeable roll. Internet on board was quite patchy so unreliable. We took an extra 3 hours to what was scheduled so our plans of getting some mileage done whilst there was still daylight were scuppered as we arrived in the dark so felt it better to stop in Santander until the following morning. Altogether, not as bad as we had feared but forewarned is forearmed and a plan B is advisable in case of the unforseen. Have a great trip when you get there !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
escapee

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
hi
thanks for your replies Lets hope its not as bad as forecast and weve still got our sea legs-might be happier than anticipated to see santander!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Best place in a ship in bad weather is low down and in the middle (side to side and bow to stern).

Once sailed through a hurricane and it was not pleasant......

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The Santander Portsmouth crossing got away this afternoon after a 2 day delay and whilst you could hardly describe conditions as good ( she is rocking and rolling a bit lol ) at least it sailed. If conditions don't worsen wk end should be fine subject to any knock on delays.
Ta Andy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I dont get it to be honest, once was enough for us, a relaxing cruise it is not!lol..I can drive to med spain in a few days...:coffee:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I dont get it to be honest, once was enough for us, a relaxing cruise it is not!lol..I can drive to med spain in a few days...:coffee:
Had a 2 day delay outward and same homeward due to bad weather so would most probably agree and try the drive for the tunnel or a channel crossing next time , but still enjoying a roughish crossing tonight.( rocked to sleep lol )

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Our Portsmouth/ Santander crossing was cancelled on 1st Feb. BF were excellent in accommodating us on a St Malo crossing instead, giving us a refund of the difference and £150 towards fuel costs. It was a bit of a slog down through France in 2 days, to get back on schedule, but very do-able. So, will definitely consider this option in future - we love France! Now we hope the return Santander/Portsmouth crossing scheduled to depart on Monday afternoon will be OK ....Andy's crossing sounds interesting .....

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
so our plans of getting some mileage done whilst there was still daylight were scuppered as we arrived in the dark so felt it better to stop in Santander until the following morning.

May I ask where you stopped in Santander please

John

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
May I ask where you stopped in Santander please

John
Hi there are only a couple Aires listed in the book I had that you could call close (that's all the Aires Spain Portugal ) No camp sites that I could find open either.
Made use of the aire at lierganes which is about 10 to 12 miles from port. It's very handy to the village which has all you could need. ie cafe bank small supermarket etc. Sorry I don't have book on me to give you cording test.
Ta andy

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
The Santander Portsmouth crossing got away this afternoon after a 2 day delay and whilst you could hardly describe conditions as good ( she is rocking and rolling a bit lol ) at least it sailed. If conditions don't worsen wk end should be fine subject to any knock on delays.
Ta Andy.

Hi Andy'
I'm guessing that's our boat (Pont Aven) that should have left Portsmouth this lunchtime now due to sail tomorrow night. Apparently we will have to call at Roscoff friday morning for crew change adding another 8 hours on trip.
We are interested in any updates re your sailing and anything you think would help us, forewarned is forarmed.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Tonight's Spanish TV weather forecast says waves now 10m high from Galicia to San Sebastian! Still snowing in the North!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy'
I'm guessing that's our boat (Pont Aven) that should have left Portsmouth this lunchtime now due to sail tomorrow night. Apparently we will have to call at Roscoff friday morning for crew change adding another 8 hours on trip.
We are interested in any updates re your sailing and anything you think would help us, forewarned is forarmed.
Hi. All I can tell you is the sea has calmed now and our eta for Portsmouth is now around 1730 tonight.
Nothing else I can add other than to wish you a good trip.
Ta andy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Andy, hope your trip is good. Got your sea legs on?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy, hope your trip is good. Got your sea legs on?
Hi I quite enjoy a bit rough weather but it's fine now thanks.
Hope your travels are going well. You been playing any more boules. Lol.
Ta andy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No more boules, Terry had an accident on his bike and was told to rest for a week with no strenuous exercise or lifting so we have been static for a week.
We like rough seas as well, as long as we're safe.
What's the weather like up there?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Da
No more boules, Terry had an accident on his bike and was told to rest for a week with no strenuous exercise or lifting so we have been static for a week.
We like rough seas as well, as long as we're safe.
What's the weather like up there?
Sorry to hear that. Dashed up from southern Portugal for this sailing which was delayed for 2 days and the weather in northern Spain was horrible. The only plus is they opened the ship up as a hotel for those that made the check in. Take care .
Ta andy

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My parents were supposed sail back on Wednesday 25th Feb, delayed due to bad weather but hoping to sail today. Lets hope they do, we have a restaurant booking for Saturday evening!

Wonder how choppy the Bay of Biscay will be for them... :sick::sneaky:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like my parents may have sailed yesterday as planned, just received a text saying they are off the south coast of the Gulag, docking at Portsmouth circa 17:30...

OP
OP
escapee

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
as stated in new thread(sorry im not good with this stuff) ive taken full refund and now going calais sunday In no hurry and we like France anyway will decide on Iran or tunnel when we get closer and see forecast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back