Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Having trawled through fora, reviews etc. I took the plunge and bought a Snooper Ventura 6800 for my MH. I have to report that I am a bit disappointed, the primary reason being that it regularly seems to issue instructions just too late e.g. "Turn left now" as you are level with the junction rather than just before. I have run it side by side with the Navigon unit in my car and it does appear to be on the slow side generally. I tried to talk to people on the Snooper stand at the NEC show last November, but received little help or interest. Anyone else had similar experiences with Snooper SatNav units?

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Not with snooper, but did have similar with TomTom, unresponsive and slow keyboard data entry and slow screen updates.

Did a full hardware reset, pin in the recessed reset button, full shut down and it rebooted fine. Do you have a reset button, can you connect to a PC and reset/reboot/update.

Like most mobile operating systems, including tablets, they are not true multitaskers( so can only perform one task at a time) and need to be fully shut down occasionally, not just put into standby, sometimes there are multiple instances going on in the background that have not shut down properly slowing the processor

Good luck

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Is the "turn left now" instruction the first one you are given for that turning or is it the last one of a series as you approach the turning?
I don't know Snooper but the sat navs I've used give a series of instructions and a countdown distance to the turning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Have you done an online update. Its only a computer after all and even a brand new computer will do updates as soon as its connected. Might have been produced 6 months before you bought it so guarantee there will be some changes. If not talk to Snooper help line - I have found them very good in the past

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sent my Snooper back got a refund not fit for purpose.
Only use Garmin now or Co Pilot on the phone. Everthing else is second best.
Get your money back if you can and get a Garmin.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Mine is marginally slower than a Tom tom but does give early warning on a upcoming junction, on the right side of the screen you should have a mileage/ kilometres countdown to you next turning and usually it pretty accurate, but IMO it's always a good idea using a map so you know roughly the direction you should be heading,

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Snooper s5000 and don't have any issues with it. It warns you as you are approaching the junction and tells you to turn when you have reached it, which is what you want if there are junctions close together. As Brewery Dave said it does help if you are not going to fast.:LOL:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a snooper and a tomtom running side by side and neither is slow. I suggest you try the reboot suggested earlier, or it could actually be faulty in which case get it changed. They are very good satnavs, though the map updates can be expensive, especially on the snooper unless you've got a deal with yours.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have been using a Snooper without too many problems for a few years.

The only thing I can think of is that on motorways it gives advance warning of turn off but then doesn't tell you to finally turn left until last moment on the slip road.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks all. It's not a case of me driving too fast Brewerydave and Daveandsan it is just as Icantremember says, it warns early, but then seems only to tell you to make the turn at the very last minute, which in some cases is too late. I certainly wouldn't rely souly on a SatNav, but the only previous experience I have SatNavs is a Navigon unit in my car which seems less tardy in its instructions.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks all. It's not a case of me driving too fast Brewerydave and Daveandsan it is just as Icantremember says, it warns early, but then seems only to tell you to make the turn at the very last minute, which in some cases is too late. I certainly wouldn't rely souly on a SatNav, but the only previous experience I have SatNavs is a Navigon unit in my car which seems less tardy in its instructions.
As I said the Snooper, having given advance warning of an exit, seems to give final instruction at the far end of slip roads rather than at beginning. With experience I don't find this a problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it warns early, but then seems only to tell you to make the turn at the very last minute, which in some cases is too late. I
Do you not look at the screen than ?

My tomtom shows how many meters to the turn starting around half a mile early.
If there are two turnings 10 mtrs apart it still counts down to the one i want.
I turn off sound only allowing warnings...speed cameras etc.

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks Icantremember, maybe I just need to get more used to its mode of operating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back