France first time with kids (help). Lol. (1 Viewer)

Rinker

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Hi all,
We managed to get a cheap ferry ticket from Dover to Calais for our camper in August without doing any real research, now we are struggling on where we can go. We have a 6 year old and an 8 year old so did not really want to travel more than 200 miles from Calais. We were going the Disney route but have now decided against that. We are more than happy to stay on a camp site if there are pools and things for kids to do, a beach would be a bonus. Anyone help us out with ideas.
Thanks in advance.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
France has many inland water areas like rivers and lakes that also have man made beaches.... Kids will love it, we travel down to Benidorm and back with our grandkids late July / August. Now Aged 6 and 8.. Some of the best days have been at "aires" parked next to a lake or river...
August will be busy so you may need to plan a bit and dont expect cheap sites... Do some research, joining here on FUN could be the best move you make...

Welcome aboard...

OP
OP
R

Rinker

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Thanks Tonka, looking for any advice at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There's a good aire and a beach at Calais if you don't want to travel more than 1 mile!!!!!

OP
OP
R

Rinker

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Our first trip planned was over 800 miles. To Le ty nadan
But are now worried this is just going to be to far and expensive on fuel. As doing about 25 mpg and traveling from south devon.

OP
OP
R

Rinker

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
What is an Aire?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What is an Aire?

It is a dedicated place for motorhomes....
Some are just parking areas where you can stay overnight, others have all the things you need like somewhere to empty the toilet, grey water and re- fill with fresh water. Many are totally free, some charge just for water, others make a charge for parking.. They are so varied from small village ones for a couple of vans to large 100 van places...
NOTE... You only get 5 posts for free on here... But paying the £10 subs for a year is the best motorhome investment you will make...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Pity about the 200 mile limit. If you were prepared to go around twice that I'd have suggested a couple of days at Parc Puy du Fou (you can stop overnight in their huge aire) then onwards to somewhere on the Vendee or Charente coast, maybe the Ile de Re. You could maybe even do Parc Futuroscope on the way back.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Do some research, joining here on FUN could be the best move you make...

Welcome aboard...

NOTE... You only get 5 posts for free on here... But paying the £10 subs for a year is the best motorhome investment you will make...

Firstly, Welcome aboard MH Fun,
Secondly..... I second the advice above.... Sign up for this site for a tenner... Promise you that you can't spend a tenner better.
I have no commercial interest in this site, rather a very satisfied user.

Tons of info here, remember there is no stupid questions, only questions that haven't been asked.
Keep posting, many here to advise you and keep you on the right track.

Enjoy the trip.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Normandy could be a good idea. Kids love history well presented and there's loads of bunkers and defences to explore!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most Aires in July/August not so great..overcrowded and lack of shade and no facilities for kids

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
With kids, I agree with the judge .. aires are not suitable for a holiday base.. great for a one night stop en route , so you could extend that 200 mile limit and reach the Atlantic coast in two days easy .. granted it is almost 500 miles.. but well worth it , there plenty of great sites, many with pools.. also fantastic beaches.. and almost guaranteed sun.. Tip.. if you go there.. make sure you book a pitch with shade. !

When ours were young one of our favourite places was Royan , we used the site at St Augustin ... http://www.logis-du-breuil.com/en/accueil-p1.php there are plenty of other sites but get busy in August so best to book in advance..

For help in choosing a site there are plenty of on line guides.. Goggle: French Campsites.. or if you prefer, pop into a book store and buy one of the many European Campsite books.. one I use and endorse is the Caravan Club Europe Sites book.. in two volumes..

Caravan Club are also have a continental sites booking service and also provide travel insurance .. Red Pennant .. we used them when we traveled with the kids

Also look on this site for more ideas , there is a French section
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Normandy and / or Brittany (y)

Really you can't go far wrong no matter where you go as it will all be so new and different for the kids.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We liked Arzon which has 2 municipal campsites, but that#s quite a way (400+ miles) from Calais. Last year we visited the Fecamp and Etretat areas which are very attractive, and within your mileage limit., with several campsites in the area. See UK campsites

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Going back over 20 years when our kids were a whole lot younger they still have great memories of an early holiday in our then Flair campervan.
We based ourselves in a campsite in/near St Valery sur Somme. It was a big site with Eurocamp and the like as well as private mobiles and tourists. But all the facilities were there.
It's a lovley area. The fishing port was where Willie the Conq tied up the fleet before heading our way the next day. There's a little coastal steam train nearby and there's lots of coastal bits with beaches and pools to explore.
There's several sites on this link - can't for the life of me remember the name of the one we used. It may have gone or be even better now. But it's a good area to whet your whistle for France.
http://www.france-voyage.com/campsites/saint-valery-sur-somme-commune-32568.htm
Wherever you end up enjoy and get the kids practising their Bonjours, the locals love that.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
With kids, I agree with the judge .. aires are not suitable for a holiday base.. great for a one night stop en route , so you could extend that 200 mile limit and reach the Atlantic coast in two days easy .. granted it is almost 500 miles.. but well worth it , there plenty of great sites, many with pools.. also fantastic beaches.. and almost guaranteed sun.. Tip.. if you go there.. make sure you book a pitch with shade. !

When ours were young one of our favourite places was Royan , we used the site at St Augustin ... http://www.logis-du-breuil.com/en/accueil-p1.php there are plenty of other sites but get busy in August so best to book in advance..

For help in choosing a site there are plenty of on line guides.. Goggle: French Campsites.. or if you prefer, pop into a book store and buy one of the many European Campsite books.. one I use and endorse is the Caravan Club Europe Sites book.. in two volumes..

Caravan Club are also have a continental sites booking service and also provide travel insurance .. Red Pennant .. we used them when we traveled with the kids

Also look on this site for more ideas , there is a French section
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

Another vote for Le Logis du Breuil. Lovely site that we have used many times over the years. Shop, restaurant, pool, playground on site and a short drive to St Palais with a lovely safe beach and kids clubs. Well worth the travel down there, we started going there years ago when our kids were little when the roads weren't as good as they are now.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Very difficult to advise without knowing your likes/dislikes, budget etc.
Most kids like a beach but can be a bit boring for adults.
If you want something a bit different, with something for everyone, try this.
There is a campsite and an Aire so take your pick(we use the Aire), the grand kids & dogs love it.

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Most kids like a beach but can be a bit boring for adults.

not when it's topless.. ;).. never got bored at Royan beach

but seriously.. as an adult I love the beach.. now retired I still love swimming and surfing with a belly board.. what can be better than a day on a beach with warm waves and the sun on your back.. kids love it and it's also free .. who could ask for more..

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
As I say likes/dislikes, each to their own(y) A beach is OK for a while but not for a whole day let alone a fortnight.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I say likes/dislikes, each to their own(y) A beach is OK for a while but not for a whole day let alone a fortnight.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

who said every day for the whole fortnight .. it's a kids type holiday .. plenty of other things for kids to to see and do around Royan.. and on the site .

what would you suggest ?

OP
OP
R

Rinker

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Great replies. Thanks very much,

Thinking now maybe need to up my miles limit. As look at some of the links you have posted it reall does look stunning. Had anyone been to
Le ty Naden?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Thinking now maybe need to up my miles limit. As look at some of the links you have posted it reall does look stunning. Had anyone been to
Le ty Naden?

is this the site ?

http://www.camping-ty-nadan.fr/

sorry no.. but it does look good ..

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp

Le ty Naden?

Looks good but at £60+ a night (2A+2C in August) I'm out.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Sorry can't recommend sites but personally (although a bit more than you wanted 450 miles ) Ile de Re, great island ;lovely beaches good for cycling walking etc def worth a visit.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Beaches? You should see my hubbies family (all adults) get going with their buckets and spades....... not so much as sandcastle as whole cities!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Alot of motorhomers use ASCI card
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk
for the off peak discounts. These are not available in July /August, but the web site is an exceedingly good source of mainly quality, inspected, reviewed campsites. You can also put filters in for utilities available/ motorhome facilities/ swimming pools,/ public transport/ groceries etc etc etc, so may help you whittle down
If beach is not essential, the Loire valley is great, lots of castles, some good campsites, good wine etc, and not that far to travel (but not wthin your mileage range)
I would also recommend getting the eurocamp brochure, as will give you some good ideas if nothing else

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back