This just got very complicated (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Hi there,

I'm 35 and got two kids (3 & almost 1), and a couple of weeks ago my missus decided to give me the green light to go looking for a motorhome after I fell in love with the Thor 30.1 ACE that we hired in Canada for 3 weeks.

Having owned a campervan for 10 years (sold it today, goodbye old friend) :( I assumed that getting a motorhome would be a doddle. How wrong I was.

Our requirements are pretty straight forwards, a 4 berth motorhome with an overhead cab, rear lounge and 4 travel seats, under 6.9 metres to fit on the drive. Simples.

Initially I was looking at an older VW T4 coachbuilt, but they don't seem to have many around that have the rear travel seats and rear lounge, like hen's teeth.

So I widened my search, but then realised that as I'm in the London LEZ zone (by literally 10 metres), I came to the realisation that I would probably need a newer model (although not essential, if I fancy travelling back country lanes...)

The only vehicle that seemed to match our needs in our price range was a used Autoquest 145. Some reading up on Elddis seemed to suggest that the build quality could be hit and miss.

We discussed this and decided that, if we were going to part with lots of money, we'd rather buy something that we really wanted and would fine when the kids wanted their own beds etc...

So, again, the only thing that seemed to meet our spec was a Swift 686 (3 beds), it's actually 2 cm longer than our drive but are guessing that it won't be a problem. Again, undertook research and among other things, saw a thread on here about Swift. Whilst I acknowledge that generally you only hear negative reviews when things go wrong - it appears that there is a problem with some Swifts and the consensus appears to be caveat emptor.

I'm so confused and after lots of late nights researching and trying to figure out what to get, I appear to be no closer to getting something that will work for us. I feel like calling the chap up who bought my van and telling him to turn around and come back.:unsure:

So, whilst this is a 'hello!' post, it's more of a HELP (me save my sanity).

Anyone know of something that may suit our requirements, either new and judging by some posts, European, or early 90's and petrol to meet the LEZ requirements.

I'd also like to add, this place has already been a great resource, so thanks to the people that set it up and all you contributors :D

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry, can't help with the choice but welcome all the same !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
hello smiley.gif

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As I understand it if registered after 2002 at less than 3500kg it should be no problem.
Older or heavier vehicles are a different problem.

Broken Link Removed

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We spent a lot of time driving around the major dealers (who hold large stocks of all sorts of vans) looking before we made a decision.

Twelve months and around 6000 miles, as far north as Wakefield and south as Portsmouth.

Then we bought at a fairly local smaller dealer who is great for after sales service (y):D

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
As I understand it if registered after 2002 at less than 3500kg it should be no problem.
Older or heavier vehicles are a different problem.

Broken Link Removed

Thanks Jay.

I read up about that too, and currently under 3.5t it will be fine, for now. We are pretty sure that this will change, the suggestion is that it will need be Euro 5 rated to pass in the next 2-3 years, although this is all conjecture as there is no real guidance coming out that will assist anyone.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
We spent a lot of time driving around the major dealers (who hold large stocks of all sorts of vans) looking before we made a decision.

Twelve months and around 6000 miles, as far north as Wakefield and south as Portsmouth.

Then we bought at a fairly local smaller dealer who is great for after sales service (y):D

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

This is another dilemma, I simply don't have the time currently to go travelling looking for the right motorhome, insomuch that I regularly have to look after the kids. I have; however, gone around a 686 and we both loved the layout - but I do want to speak to a local dealer and have a chat. There's no real substitute for having a face to face discussion with an expert.

Do you mind me asking who you went to?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
You'll probably be ready to change vans by then any way, failing that you could find storage outside the LEZ as it's not far.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
You'll probably be ready to change vans by then any way, failing that you could find storage outside the LEZ as it's not far.

Yeah, we considered that and I could get an A Class too :D. The missus is not up for that as we often on a Friday night just decide to drive off. She doesn't want the hassle of loading unloading etc...

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A warm Welcome from Wales and Good Luck with your search!(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Welcome.

As one of the people on this Forum that entered negative comments regarding Swift I would offer the following.

My present Swift was one of a batch that was badly designed and, therefore, suffered from rotting floors. That was repaired .

However, I have now owned three Swift M /H s, ( among others), and have just ordered a brand new one. I would not do that if I had any serious reservations.

I have also owned one of the "prestigious" brands that proved to be a disaster .

All brands can have problems. Motorhomes are built by people not robots, so standards can vary. The most important thing is to find a good dealer who will rectify any faults, whether in a new or second hand buy. Check them out on the Internet.

The single most important point is to find the correct layout for yourself . All other things can be altered. The basic layout you are stuck with.

In any event, welcome to motorhoming, you will not be disappointed if you choose carefully.(y)
:welc:

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hello and welcome , there is so much choice it can be overwhelming , but enjoy the searching and don't rush into anything . p.s. not all motorhome dealers are experts .

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

This is another dilemma, I simply don't have the time currently to go travelling looking for the right motorhome, insomuch that I regularly have to look after the kids. I have; however, gone around a 686 and we both loved the layout - but I do want to speak to a local dealer and have a chat. There's no real substitute for having a face to face discussion with an expert.

Do you mind me asking who you went to?

I assume you mean - who we bought off? Elite Motorhomes: http://www.elitemotorhomes.co.uk/

There is a facility on the forum to assess dealers:

Link Removed

One dealer I know and everybody says nice things about and is a member on the forum is Johnscross motorhomes

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

Peter who owns the company is a top guy and would give you straight advice. @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Start a "conversation" with him. He has always been a very approachable. (y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :hi: What an introduction. If you haven't got time to travel around dealers then go to one of the shows. Peterborough is on soon and there'll be loads of dealers there so you could have a good look around at layouts. Importantly though you need to pay your tenner subscription to carry on posting on here and you can then ask lots of questions. You might even get some sensible answers ::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Looking at your age, unless you have passed another test then are you not restricted to 3500kg anyway ??? Unless you just managed to get in before the 1997 changes.
That could rule out many motorhomes...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg and welcome.jpg

I would suggest storing the van outside the LEZ area if you can and don't forget for sleeping you can always get cabbunks.

http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

I have no knowledge of the company but the idea looks good.

Don't rule out different layouts..... they might just work for you at least in the short term. You may well decide to change your van in two or three years as your needs change. We are now on van three, no because we made any mistakes in layout but because out family dynamics and interests changed over the years. We already know pretty much what we will change the present van to when the time comes (a few years down the line we hope)

hello head duck.jpg

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Welcome.

As one of the people on this Forum that entered negative comments regarding Swift I would offer the following.

My present Swift was one of a batch that was badly designed and, therefore, suffered from rotting floors. That was repaired .

However, I have now owned three Swift M /H s, ( among others), and have just ordered a brand new one. I would not do that if I had any serious reservations.

I have also owned one of the "prestigious" brands that proved to be a disaster .

All brands can have problems. Motorhomes are built by people not robots, so standards can vary. The most important thing is to find a good dealer who will rectify any faults, whether in a new or second hand buy. Check them out on the Internet.

The single most important point is to find the correct layout for yourself . All other things can be altered. The basic layout you are stuck with.

In any event, welcome to motorhoming, you will not be disappointed if you choose carefully.(y)
:welc:

That is reassuring to know. I guessed as much, but it appears that the jury is out for some people; what years/batches have Swift admitted to (if they have) that are faulty?

I assume you mean - who we bought off? Elite Motorhomes: http://www.elitemotorhomes.co.uk/

There is a facility on the forum to assess dealers:

Link Removed

One dealer I know and everybody says nice things about and is a member on the forum is Johnscross motorhomes

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

Peter who owns the company is a top guy and would give you straight advice. @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Start a "conversation" with him. He has always been a very approachable. (y)

I could spend all day at Johns Cross, I spend a lot of my time camping in Bodiam. When I looked last year, I didn't know where to start (and had not been given 'permission' to go on the hunt...). I may head down there, especially as they are Swift dealers too.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi "The wm" you are a "read only" Funster now as you have used all your given posts.

The forum is a great place for advice if you are looking to buy and would be the best £10 investment you will ever make.

ps: I am nothing to do with the forum, only a member but it is a good and friendly place. :D(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@TheWM
I think that years 2006/2008 had our problem.

Swift came up with the idea that if they laid a waterproof membrane on the underside of the M/H floor it would protect it from damp.

Unfortunately it proved that if water got in around the membrane it could not evaporate and thus caused rot.

Having realise the mistake Swift abandoned the idea.

Our problem was repaired, under warranty, by our dealer. We bought it it in October 2013 as a 6 year old model.

Previously we had a Swift Royale that we had had no problems with. Swift contacted us and said that a small number had a problem that might lead to water ingress from the roof. They collected it from us, carried out modifications, and several upgrades at no charge, before returning it.

We then had Swift Gazelle for three years with no problems whatsoever.

I repeat . All models have problems . Read the comments in the area for specific makes of motorhomes .

There is no doubt that some of the Continental models have exhibited better build quality than some of the British models. But we can't all afford them. Don't be put off by some of the comments.

Just commit, then enjoy. You will be very unlucky if you are disappointed.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We've had our Elddis Aspire for nearly a year now. Perhaps not long enough to see any real structural problems etc but we have had absolutely no problems with it so far - two trips to France (5 weeks in total) numerous long weekends and several single nights. Always make full use of all facilities (shower room, toilet, cooker. grill etc and nothing to complain about. If it keep going like this I would buy another one.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi TheWM and welcome.

Here's another vote for Elddis. Had two Autoquests (current one is a 2014 155, the former a 2004 400). They are built to a price, but never had any serious problems. Got more features in my current van than some others priced over £70,000!

I live about a mile inside the LEZ. It would be sooo much hassle to park it outside of the zone. It's nice to be able to check security and 'play' with the van when required. There will be the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) eventually, but too soon for you to be worried about now. Wish you well with joining MHF and your hunt.

James

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@TheWM
I think that years 2006/2008 had our problem.

Swift came up with the idea that if they laid a waterproof membrane on the underside of the M/H floor it would protect it from damp.

Unfortunately it proved that if water got in around the membrane it could not evaporate and thus caused rot.

Having realise the mistake Swift abandoned the idea.

Our problem was repaired, under warranty, by our dealer. We bought it it in October 2013 as a 6 year old model.

Previously we had a Swift Royale that we had had no problems with. Swift contacted us and said that a small number had a problem that might lead to water ingress from the roof. They collected it from us, carried out modifications, and several upgrades at no charge, before returning it.

We then had Swift Gazelle for three years with no problems whatsoever.

I repeat . All models have problems . Read the comments in the area for specific makes of motorhomes .

There is no doubt that some of the Continental models have exhibited better build quality than some of the British models. But we can't all afford them. Don't be put off by some of the comments.

Just commit, then enjoy. You will be very unlucky if you are disappointed.

That is some reassuring news - and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Paid my subs and have been allowed to post again!

Looking at your age, unless you have passed another test then are you not restricted to 3500kg anyway ??? Unless you just managed to get in before the 1997 changes.
That could rule out many motorhomes...

I am, but am happy to take my HGV at some point. The missus got in before the changes came in, so she can drive pretty much anything :cautious:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you're in the lez zone by 10 metres, can you just park it up the road??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back