Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Parking Award for Torridge
Torridge District Council has been awarded the Best Parking Policy in Devon 2014 award from the Federation of Small Businesses.

Broken Link Removed
At a special event in Tiverton, Deputy Leader Roger Johnson accepted the award, which recognises the most user friendly car parking policies, on behalf of the council.

Cllr Johnson said, 'We are trying hard in Torridge to overcome the obstacles of a reduction in funding and staff cuts but still maintaining our services to the public. We have introduced a number of initiatives recently to encourage people into our local towns, like free parking at certain times and especially overnight parking for motorhomes which has been a fantastic success. We are the only authority in Devon which has proactively changed its policy to encourage motorhomes here, and we have had so many visiting the district, staying overnight and spending their money in our local shops and restaurants. This award is clear recognition of the hard work put in by our parking services manager Simon Toon and his team.'

For more information on motorhome parking in the district click here or call the parking services team on 01237 428895Broken Link Removed01237 428895.

Photo shows Cllr Johnson receiving the ward from Peter Hare-Scott, CEO of Mid Devon District Council

29 September 2014

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
especially overnight parking for motorhomes which has been a fantastic success. We are the only authority in Devon which has proactively changed its policy to encourage motorhomes here, and we have had so many visiting the district, staying overnight and spending their money in our local shops and restaurants.

If only other councils would take note it might be possible to return to UK touring.
Nice to see they considered it successful & realised we spend money in the shops if we can park, a stark contrast to most other councils.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
This is the response I got to an inquiry I made of one of our local councils. It was clarification of "no motorhome parking" signs along a cliff top road. Compare that to the attitude of Torridge District Council - chalk and cheese.
For info - Cliff Parade is approx 0.5 mile long and, during months Sept - March, you're rarely likely to get more than 5 or 6 vehicles parked along it at any given time.

Lots of words to say "p*** off"

Hello Mr *******,

Parking along Cliff Parade, Walton-On-The-Naze is not permitted as all available parking along the seafront is controlled and enforced by the North Essex Parking Partnership and has restrictions on campervans, etc. parking along the seafront. The only place we can suggest is Station Road car park which is operated by Tendring District Council which requires a pay and display ticket. We would need you to contact ourselves however before parking here so we can make the enforcement officers aware, also providing your motorhome can fit into a parking bay in this car park. I must confirm that sleeping overnight in the campervans whilst parked in the Tendring District Council car park is not permitted.

Every time you want to park along here you will need to contact parking and seafronts giving us your registration number.

If we can be of anymore assistant please feel free to contact parking and seafronts on the below contact details.

Many thanks,

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Torridge were on the local news last night, not arising from this article but for the fact that last night at the Council meeting, they were discussing the disposal of extra money that customers put into the parking meters when they have no change.
Apparently, Torridge charges 90p an hour which means that there are lots of extra 10p's and 20p's over which apparently amounted to £40,000 last year.
Don't know the result as they were still chatting at 10.30pm when the news was on but they were considering putting the money to charity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
This is the response I got to an inquiry I made of one of our local councils. It was clarification of "no motorhome parking" signs along a cliff top road. Compare that to the attitude of Torridge District Council - chalk and cheese.

This is typical of most councils attitude to motorhomer's they just don't want you there except Torridge council:)
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Using the analogy that you don't catch bees with vinegar, could I suggest that as many as feel like it, send an email to Torridge Council thanking them for their provision of parking of motorhomes.
Can't do any harm and will make them feel loved.
Who know, when they get Mr Ar$ewipe complaining, it will give them something to fire back. Their details;

Name
Parking Services

Address
Torridge District Council
Westcombe Depot
Westcombe Lane
Bideford
Devon
EX39 3JQ
United Kingdom

Email
carparks@torridge.gov.uk

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yes Torridge have been proactive in parking for Motorhomes. I know that some of us Motorhomers in the area lobbied the Council and the car park attendants also suggested overnighting. So come to North Devon, stay along side the Torridge in Bideford, park overlooking Instow at Appledore, sample the Fish & Chips and enjoy a pint in the Seagate, great food in the Beaver, its all going on just down the road from me. Might nip down and spent a night there myself!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For info - Cliff Parade is approx 0.5 mile long and, during months Sept - March, you're rarely likely to get more than 5 or 6 vehicles parked along it at any given time.

Lots of words to say "p*** off"

Hello Mr *******,

Parking along Cliff Parade, Walton-On-The-Naze is not permitted as all available parking along the seafront is controlled and enforced by the North Essex Parking Partnership and has restrictions on campervans, etc. parking along the seafront. The only place we can suggest is Station Road car park which is operated by Tendring District Council which requires a pay and display ticket. We would need you to contact ourselves however before parking here so we can make the enforcement officers aware, also providing your motorhome can fit into a parking bay in this car park. I must confirm that sleeping overnight in the campervans whilst parked in the Tendring District Council car park is not permitted.

Every time you want to park along here you will need to contact parking and seafronts giving us your registration number.

If we can be of anymore assistant please feel free to contact parking and seafronts on the below contact details.

Many thanks,

Interesting. This is what Tendring Council told me on 4th October 2013
As a parking and seafront section we are very aware of the importance of motorhomes and their growing popularity and the impact these are having (and will have) on both aspects of our service (Parking and Seafronts).

The information you received from this authority some years ago remains accurate in so far as there are some car parks where motorhomes can park free of charge and also others where it is possible to do so provided payment of the usual parking fee is received. There are also car parking areas where motor homes would not be able to access due to the presence of a height barrier.

There are no car parks where motorhomes are prohibited per se - only ones where the presence of a motorhome is restricted by a height barrier.

It was my understanding the information about the height barriers was available for all our car park locations on the Councils website under car parks and that this information would at least provide an easy guide to motorhome drivers as to whether they could access a car park or not.

It is unfortunate that it appears this information is not displayed. However, please accept an assurance this matter is currently being investigated and will be rectified very shortly - within a week or two.

In summary it will be possible for motorhome drivers to discover which car parks they can use and whether there is a fee or not via the Council's website.

However, that said, Tendring District Council does not permit overnight camping on car parks and therefore whilst it is permissible to park a motorhome overnight it would not be possible for any motorhome driver to sleep in the vehicle overnight.

As mentioned earlier in my reply, the Council is aware of the importance of such vehicles and as a consequence is currently considering possibilities for making arrangements for motorhome stop overs in the District.

It is regrettable but this matter has proved controversial and at times complex due to local concerns. Therefore the Council is not as yet in a position to set aside land for motorhome stop overs and or to subsequently publish information in respect of this.

The Council should be able to provide information about local private camp sites and caravan parks where motorhomes may stay on request via our tourist information centres and it is possible to locate tourist information contact details via the Councils website. I will investigate whether it is possible to establish a further more direct link to such information via the Council's website.

Please note this information relates to Council land and Council off street car parks only and does not relate to on-street parking where some specific motorhome parking restrictions do apply. However, on-street parking is operated and managed on behalf of the highway authority (Essex County Council) by the North Essex Parking Partnership (NEPP) and not this Council. A list of Traffic Regulation Orders for the District is available either directly from Essex County Council or by application from the NEPP. This information is not held on any website to the best of my knowledge.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If only other councils would take note
I would love to see more facilities for motorhomes but other councils are unlikely to "take note" unless somebody actually flags it up with them. They are highly unlikely to see anything on Torridge's web site or this forum. To everyone I would say "Identify a suitable place in your home area and contact the council to tell them why motorhome facilities should be provided there". It's unlikely to happen otherwise.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Campaign to stop a Supermarket being built on The Torrington Skyline. was rejected on 5th February 2015 when planners gave the go ahead for the Waitrose supermarket.

A planning application has been approved to build a Waitrose supermarket adjacent to Sydney House car park, Torrington. The area where Motorhomes and Campervans park - quiet and with an outstanding view - would effectively become the supermarket car park, with time limits and the view blocked. Details: http://www.savetorringtonskyline.org

The bulk of the car park will have time limits applied during the day (3 hours M-F, 2 hours at the weekend). TDC has now confirmed that the time limits mentioned above will also apply outside of the charging period. After all, it would be a supermarket car park.

This has gone ahead despite objections which have been ignored by the planners.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I would love to see more facilities for motorhomes but other councils are unlikely to "take note" unless somebody actually flags it up with them. They are highly unlikely to see anything on Torridge's web site or this forum. To everyone I would say "Identify a suitable place in your home area and contact the council to tell them why motorhome facilities should be provided there". It's unlikely to happen otherwise.
I totally agree with you on that Graham.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Campaign to stop a Supermarket being built on The Torrington Skyline. was rejected on 5th February 2015 when planners gave the go ahead for the Waitrose supermarket.

A planning application has been approved to build a Waitrose supermarket adjacent to Sydney House car park, Torrington. The area where Motorhomes and Campervans park - quiet and with an outstanding view - would effectively become the supermarket car park, with time limits and the view blocked. Details: http://www.savetorringtonskyline.org

The bulk of the car park will have time limits applied during the day (3 hours M-F, 2 hours at the weekend). TDC has now confirmed that the time limits mentioned above will also apply outside of the charging period. After all, it would be a supermarket car park.

This has gone ahead despite objections which have been ignored by the planners.
Generally speaking, this sort of thing (whether or not it involves somewhere motorhomers can park and/or camp) will always happen as our towns evolve. Looking at the Broken Link Removed, there are (as is typical) strong arguments on both sides. Councillors are often between a rock and a hard place when making such decisions.

In this case hopefully they will make alternative provision for a motorhome stopover.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
£5 to park with no facilities when some sites are only £7 with WC, water and waste disposal seems a bit steep. But at least the local councils do have spaces for motorhomes which is far better than most and the South West is very popular with lots to see and do, or just walk and chill.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Its good to hear that allowing overnight parking has been such a sucess for Torridge Council. We are heading that way in our van in May and I have been looking at the car parks available on Google streetview, some of them look great.

I remember reading on Fun about the attitude of Cornwall County Council who are doing their best to discourage visitors with motorhomes with various bans and penalty charges in the car parks they control.

We are going to detour to the Torridge area specifically to support their scheme and to spend some money in local pubs, shops etc. I will certainly be emailing Torridge Council.

Paul

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I remember reading on Fun about the attitude of Cornwall County Council who are doing their best to discourage visitors with motorhomes with various bans and penalty charges in the car parks they control.
Paul

We haven't had any problem parking in Cornwall although some of the restrictions mentioned 'No caravans or camping' - neither of which apply to us :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£5 to park with no facilities when some sites are only £7 with WC, water and waste disposal seems a bit steep. But at least the local councils do have spaces for motorhomes which is far better than most and the South West is very popular with lots to see and do, or just walk and chill.
I'm not sure that it is steep.

Thinking back to Guisborough, if memory serves the set-up cost was about £1,000 - mainly putting the legal order in place and altering the P&D machines for the extra tariffs as there were already large bays laid out. That's 200 fivers needed to break even and it only achieved 6 paying customers in 18 months.

Costs are likely to be higher than that in many places.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Apparently, Torridge charges 90p an hour which means that there are lots of extra 10p's and 20p's over which apparently amounted to £40,000 last year.
Why don't the machines give change ? Failing that why do the machines not add on the 1/9th (10p) as time like they all do here & have done for at least 30 years ? Always struck me as robbery in the UK.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For each mile (substitute Km, or Rod Pole and Perch???) one travels away from Trafalgar Sq. we lose a year, sooooooo! it's now 17something in Devon and they haven't got round to fitting such super machines.
On the other hand, one can pay by Mobile Phone???

There again, and after spending weeks on the Continent, why do we pay for parking anyway.?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For each mile (substitute Km, or Rod Pole and Perch???) one travels away from Trafalgar Sq. we lose a year, sooooooo! it's now 17something in Devon and they haven't got round to fitting such super machines.
On the other hand, one can pay by Mobile Phone???

There again, and after spending weeks on the Continent, why do we pay for parking anyway.?
To my knowledge they don't 'add-on' in London or anywhere else.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Because the alternative is to raise council tax (or, to cover private car parks, prices in shops).
Sorry Graham,

We will have to disagree.
Charging for car parking has become a 'Cash Cow' down here in the SW. The local councils are that blind to any other form of raising revenue they even charge Disabled people with blue badges to park
This is to the detriment of all because the blue badge holders have voted with their vehicles and now park on the roads, so defeating the Councils intentions.

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you email sent to Torridge Council. Is there any way that this article could be sent to other councils?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back