Recommend Me A Dash Cam (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The other night the missus was a victim of a road rage incident where some Muppet stopped in the road ahead of her and tried to open her door. Luckily she locks her doors at night and was able to get away. It scared her but cops couldn't do anything.

So, I'm thinking of getting her a dash cam but no idea of what's available.
Would prefer one that switches on automatically when the engine starts. And one that has a decent recording range. Seen some that recycle every 5 minutes. Would prefer at least 10 mins

Show me some good 'uns Broken Link Removed

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a cheap one, that is ok'ish and a expensive one that is very good £50 for one £200 for the other. The good one is called a 'blackview' full hd, speed, location, etc etc.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
I have one of these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SYNCHRONOUS-...937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233c668881 It has GPS which means it also records your exact speed, position and time.
My insurance collected in full from the Peugeot driver and I didn't even have to pay the excess and there was no effect on my NCB
However the data is only viewable when using the supplied viewing software
Valencia , November 2013 :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have one of these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SYNCHRONOUS-...937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233c668881 It has GPS which means it also records your exact speed, position and time.
My insurance collected in full from the Peugeot driver and I didn't even have to pay the excess and there was no effect on my NCB
However the data is only viewable when using the supplied viewing software
Valencia , November 2013 :(

Does it record automatically ?

What is the recycle range in minutes ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cams that John @Jaws was sourcing for members are pretty good quality with good features. i believe they are on about a 30 minute loop and save any section where the shock sensor activates

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
the cams that John @Jaws was sourcing for members are pretty good quality with good features. i believe they are on about a 30 minute loop and save any section where the shock sensor activates
Put a good quality 32 gig card in and it records for ages.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Does it record automatically ?

What is the recycle range in minutes ?
It partitions the memory card, on one section it loops and on the other it saves the preceding couple of minutes following any shock sensed by the built in G Force sensors.
When the saved file section is full (potholes and the like) it gives a message and its a simple matter of reformatting the card to wipe it clean.
If the saved file section contains something you need to keep you download it it your laptop/pc, recordings on the loop section can also be downloaded.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Go on to the YouTube site and look up techmoan, he reviews a load of electronic devices and especially cameras.
I bought mine on his recommendation and it was excellent and cheap. The refresh time is entirely down to the size of the micro SD card in it, the camera then rewrites over the oldest bit from then on I something happens, like to Jean Luc then you stop recording shortly after to keep the record or put in another card. try and wire it to an engine on only live point or you will be getting a lot of night filming.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I am getting my son to fit one of jaws d/cams. my mate said as good as you can get for the price

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The other night the missus was a victim of a road rage incident where some Muppet stopped in the road ahead of her and tried to open her door. Luckily she locks her doors at night and was able to get away. It scared her but cops couldn't do anything.

So, I'm thinking of getting her a dash cam but no idea of what's available.
Would prefer one that switches on automatically when the engine starts. And one that has a decent recording range. Seen some that recycle every 5 minutes. Would prefer at least 10 mins

Show me some good 'uns Broken Link Removed

Take a look at the Halfords range which is a nexus manufacture....... there's talk that certain insurance companies are going to give discounts (really)?? if these are fitted .London taxies comes to mind:cool:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
. The refresh time is entirely down to the size of the micro SD card in it, the camera then rewrites over the oldest bit .

I doubt that the refresh time is a function of SD card size. More likely it affects the number of segments that are stored before they get overwritten eg an 8Gb card might store 5 segments of 10min each; a 32Gb card could store 20 segments of 10min each.

What you want to do with the recordings MIGHT affect the size of card you purchase. If you want a mile-by-mile record of an 8h drive so that you can review the scenery, you will need a bigger card than if you want 10min either side of an accident. Remember that most cameras have a maximum card size. - Gordon

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I have an HPf210 which has all the features needed and records for hours on a 32gb card. I believe there is now an improved version f310.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back