LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bought one of these ages ago, it is locked to Vodafone. I hadn't used it for a while and put some credit on, only to find it wouldn't connect. All the lights come on and are green except the internet light is orange rather green. Vodafone themselves were useless.

Now is the thing completely goosed or should I try another provider and get an unlock code?

Ideally I'd like a PAYG where the credit didn't disappear after 30 days!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
I can't see the number on ours but I just bought an unlock code on eBay for 99p and followed the instructions as given in a post on here. I am sure someone will be along with the link very soon.

You can then use any payg sim.

Kath

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Helen it just might be the signal where you are. Try it somewhere else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I bought one of these ages ago, it is locked to Vodafone. I hadn't used it for a while and put some credit on, only to find it wouldn't connect. All the lights come on and are green except the internet light is orange rather green. Vodafone themselves were useless.

Now is the thing completely goosed or should I try another provider and get an unlock code?

Pd I'm no technical buff but if all lights are green the thing works.............the orange light suggests it doesn't have the correct 'access codes' to reach the net. Do you currently have a strong Voda signal?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, you cant have that with Vodafone anymore.....as i found out.

You MUST convert your credit to a bundle, no choice, which will then connect to the internet but expires after 30days.

I left voda for that sole reason....i had a none expiring sim which i could use the topup credit whenever i wanted......even two years down the line if i wanted.
my first £10 topup lasted 4 years...but that was due to vodas shite coverge and abysmal service
then they changed it and informed me via text to a sim i hadnt used for years.
took a visit to the local shop to find all this out.
the sim still has £14 on it and they are welcome to it.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If the sim hasn't talked to the network for a while [1] then Vodafone probably canceled the number / account.
Markets usually have a stall that can unlock phones / dongles etc for a few quid.

[1] Time period varies depending on account, device etc. But usually between 6 and 12 months of inactivity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you want a none expiring payg try 3.

£10 bundle = 3000 texts, 100 cross network minutes and 500mb data

Or...just use the tenner credit as you want...1p per mb data, 2p per text or 3p per min talk....it doesnt expire

I use the second option.....i have absolutely no need for 3000 texts per month so a bundle isnt an option for me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the sim hasn't talked to the network for a while [1] then Vodafone probably canceled the number / account.
Markets usually have a stall that can unlock phones / dongles etc for a few quid.

[1] Time period varies depending on account, device etc. But usually between 6 and 12 months of inactivity.

If its lighting up its connected to voda, but not the web.

it depends what kind of sim it is as to if its cancelled for inactivity....the old none expiring sims were exactly that...none expiring even through inactivity.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have a 3 pay monthly plan 3 gig for £7.50 per month. I have the older huewaii and mine goes orange when the signal is weak.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Helen it just might be the signal where you are. Try it somewhere else.

I've already tried it in five different places including the vodafone shop. Everyone else had signal..... it used to work so I think they have probably cancelled the number - which is a pain as they sold me the bundle on the number they took from the SIM even though I told them I hadn't used it for 5 months :mad: ..... as I said they were as good as chocolate tea-pots.

I think I will try the unlock code and get a "3" card. I could do with it next week :) but not a disaster of it doesn't work. For various reasons I will need to get the mifi working soon.

The green lights do indicate the unit is working, and my tablet / laptop recognise the wifi unit - it is the wifi unit that won't connect to the web. So the consensus seems to be that as it has been unused for 5 months Vodafone have cancelled the number. I'm a bit :mad: that they didn't tell me that in the vodafone shop ..... thought they would have said rather than just take the money. At least it was only £5.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Orange or other EE systems are generally very good. I bought something like 6gb of data sum for less than £15 off Ebay.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
If you unlock it and use another sim you must change the settings to get it to work.
Log on to the modem with wifi as normal.
Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1
Username will be : admin
Password will be : admin
Go through the menu settings to match what is on this list below.
Hope this helps.

Jon

http://www.mobilez.org/support/apns/uk/

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have Orange for my (very basic) mobile phone, no problems. I'd see if I can unlock the mifi unit (at 99p for the code it's worth a try) and then see if the SIM from my phone works as that has free data as part of the PAYG - not that I've ever used it :) Once I know it will work I can get another SIM.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you unlock it and use another sim you must change the settings to get it to work.
Log on to the modem with wifi as normal.
Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1
Username will be : admin
Password will be : admin
Go through the menu settings to match what is on this list below.
Hope this helps.

Jon

http://www.mobilez.org/support/apns/uk/

Thanks, really useful !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, unlocked mine and put the 3, 321 sim init out of my phone and it tethered a treat even though it won't in my phone (n)
Going to try it in france in a couple of weeks ,if it works there on feel at home it will be unlimited data free(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes, unlocked mine and put the 3, 321 sim init out of my phone and it tethered a treat even though it won't in my phone (n)
Going to try it in france in a couple of weeks ,if it works there on feel at home it will be unlimited data free(y)
I'm not an expert but I believe that there can be problems when tethering with 3.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back