Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just arrived back fro 100 mile journey and on the way despite having a full tank of fuel, the gauge suddenly dropped to zero and the warning light flashing. Any idea's whats gone wrong?:helpsos:

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Possibly a bad connection on the fuel tank sender. Probably just needs a wiggle but is probably totally inaccessible.
Yes thought of that, just wondered if it was a common fault, as it has affected the digital display as well, not to worry to much still got 1 months warranty left !:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Earth fault. May be the tank sender earth, or more than likely behind the dash. If you go to the tank and earth it with a seperate peice of wire and it comes back to life, it is that end. Do not disconnect behind the dash though, as it can cause all manner of grief - but find the earth, pull the insulation back and wrap a test peice of cable and earth. See what happens then!

It is fairly common for the speedo head to have problems with earthing, which can cause fuel gauges to drop and lights to come on/off. At least it will define if it is a general wiring fault or the head.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Just found this thread whilst searching for similar prob. Been to Brum show today, about 180 miles round trip from South yorkshire. Before we set off I had 158 miles range and just over a quarter of a tank on gauge. Filled to brim near home before setting off but range never altered and needle stayed in same place. Needle slowly went down as we drove. We had to jump start from another car before we could leave home and I wondered if this has caused a problem with the computer / ecu .
Any ideas please ?

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Do you mean the trip mileage thingy ? . No should that make a difference ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had the same fault....but on a much older van 1999.
fuel gauge became eratic...one minute full (it wasnt) then 1/4 then maybe 1/2 then 1/4 again.

Pulled the wires off the sender, cleaned up and a spray of wd40.
all ok after that.

I have heard with the digital dash cluster it needs disconnecting from the loom, wait a few minutes then reconnect.
an electronic, rather than mechanical, glitch.

Reactions: f6c

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Dont know if this helps
Never fill up with the ignition on sends the fuel gauge haywire.
Fiat or Mercedes

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just found this thread whilst searching for similar prob. Been to Brum show today, about 180 miles round trip from South yorkshire. Before we set off I had 158 miles range and just over a quarter of a tank on gauge. Filled to brim near home before setting off but range never altered and needle stayed in same place. Needle slowly went down as we drove. We had to jump start from another car before we could leave home and I wondered if this has caused a problem with the computer / ecu .
Any ideas please ?
I sincerely doubt ECU issues, the range readout is dependant upon the fuel level measurement from the fuel sender. I would suggest that there is a poor connection on the fuel sender unit, which is unfortunately really difficult to get to. It is on the top of the fuel tank, 2 spade joints if memory serves. Usually disconnecting and reconnecting after a liberal spray with WD40 cures the problem, because you clear the dirt, in extreme situations, replace the spade joints. Possibly there may even be a fault in the fuel sender unit itself, although I have never known this personally, I have have heard of a few failing (motor industry in general, not just Fiat).

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
My 2001 Ducato has a similar quirk. Sometimes gauge is fine then after it goes under half way it goes to empty suddenly. I found a good thump on the dashboard above instrument cluster gets a self filling device working and it suddenly fills up again, Or theres a bad connection behind the instrument cluster and I aint trying to get that out as its in there tighter than a nuns watsit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back