Our bus sounds like a Jaaaaaag! (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Being fed up with the old girl's honker sounding like a slightly irritated vole, I purchased a pair of Jaguar horns from eBay and bolted them on today. Woof! The difference is amazing!

I don't think I've ever actually used the honker on the road but if I had ever needed to I'd have had to consider running over the unobservant pedestrian rather than be subjected to mass ridicule by unleashing 'peep peep' upon them and any bystanders. Now that the horn says 'EXCUSE ME!!' with a fruity Jaguar accent they'll definitely know we're there.

While the cover was up and the sun was shining I plugged the van into the hook-up socket I screwed onto the front of the house last year, just to top up the leisure battery. After a bit of finking I went and got an extension lead and the car's battery charger, plugged the lead into a socket inside the van, then ran it under the bonnet to plug the charger in, so the engine's battery could have a tickle too. It felt a bit like I'd invented perpetual motion.

Barring natural disasters, this time next month we'll have been in the New Forest for a couple of hours. Very much looking forward to it :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
reminds me my honker is feeble spotted sum in a shop the other day air horns work on 12v might give them a go
bill

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I bought a new horn too, 138deciwotsits. Just need to find the old one that's buried somewhere in the deepest darkest recesses under the bonnet somewhere to get the power cable off it!

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
reminds me my honker is feeble spotted sum in a shop the other day air horns work on 12v might give them a go
bill

You might need a relay and a fuse holder if the draw of a compressor is too much for the existing wiring/fuse. I read that changing one horn for two would require this so I bought the necessaries along with the horns. Lies! They worked fine with just a bit of extra wiring! Not sure about air horns though...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You might need a relay and a fuse holder if the draw of a compressor is too much for the existing wiring/fuse. I read that changing one horn for two would require this so I bought the necessaries along with the horns. Lies! They worked fine with just a bit of extra wiring! Not sure about air horns though...
Correct. Feed the relay which is an electrical switch with loads of amps through bigger cable plus fuse (20amp) and the switching wire is the one that works your original horn, not many amps. Press the horn, switch/relay operates and sends big amps to your new LOUDER horn. Simples innitt (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
think I will give them a miss then and get sum jag ones

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you ever heard a Eurostar horn, one of the fastest train in the world and it goes feep-sqwark like a French moped.
I have a pair of airhorns that I am putting inside the van to go off when unauthorised starting or interference takes place, It should make the miscreant leave a bit deafer than before. I will remember to turn them off for myself.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Have you ever heard a Eurostar horn, one of the fastest train in the world and it goes feep-sqwark like a French moped.
I have a pair of airhorns that I am putting inside the van to go off when unauthorised starting or interference takes place, It should make the miscreant leave a bit deafer than before. I will remember to turn them off for myself.

No, you won't remember to turn them off for yourself, and you will curse, and you will cut wires whilst rubbing your bumped head :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Hooter on our last car puny,and as above,i would have been SO afraid of the ridicule it would attract if i used it.,took it back to the dealer................ Thats when i found out i was going DEAF ! LOL.
Tea Bag
You could not make it up.....

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No, you won't remember to turn them off for yourself, and you will curse, and you will cut wires whilst rubbing your bumped head :LOL:
Yeah but yeah but, won't it make someone jump that wasn't meant to be there, I will at least know why my brain exploded.
Also I will know how to stop it going, I was going to use it as a panic alarm if someone was trying to get at us, when parked up

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oooooooooooh!

Broken Link Removed
Well there you go, you can buy an Aston a bit at a time, you may be 350yrs old by the time you get the whole car though (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have these awaiting installation ...................

Broken Link Removed
Ahyesbut, recommended compressor is an Ingersol rand driven by a 5.2 ltr Cummins diesel:eek::LOL:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I will have to take them of my jag. and put them in my old talbort express.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ahyesbut, recommended compressor is an Ingersol rand driven by a 5.2 ltr Cummins diesel:eek::LOL:
Probably. But I have tested them with a suspension compressor & small air receiver. At 100psi I get two 5 second blasts then a 1 to 2 minute wait before it's back up to pressure. I don't anticipate needing TWO 5 second blasts very often :D:D.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Probably. But I have tested them with a suspension compressor & small air receiver. At 100psi I get two 5 second blasts then a 1 to 2 minute wait before it's back up to pressure. I don't anticipate needing TWO 5 second blasts very often :D:D.

This is an outstanding use of a chap's spare time. I approve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back