Inflateable rib dinghy? Anyone got one (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I was at the nec show today and saw the inflateAble dinghys for sale. Now we love the sea and water and I was tempted to buy one and a small motor for a bit of fun when we go away. Has anyone got one ? The one we saw was a sun sport I think it was called.

Seems reasonably light and will fit in the garage. Not sure a 5hp motor is big enough for sea use ? Can the motor be transported lying down ? New to all this so just after any advice really from what was about to become an impulse buy

Gary

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have never owned the sun sport dinghy but I have seen them for sale locally.

It has an inflatable keel so provided you are below 75 kg then a small 4hp outboard will get the boat on the plane if you are on your own in the boat.

If there is more than one person then just get one of the new Suzuki of Honda 4 strokes (2.5 - 3hp) for low speed travel and yes it will travel laying down provided the fuel filler is screwed down tight.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We have also been thinking of adding an Inflatable to the fleet, Honwave T32ie grabs me, already have a nice 8hp Yamaha that will make it fly and yes they can travel layed down, sorry can't help you with the sun sport but keep an eye on dealers on the net, I have seen quality boats reduced to average boat prices.

Had a week at Annecy last summer and it was pure torture not being on the water other than in an inflatable kayak (soon for sale), make sure you know the local rules and regulations though at Annecy as long as you didn't have a large motor there didn't seem to be a problem.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We had an inflatable rib when he kids were younger and it was great fun. We took it on all our hols and used it on the inland waterways as well as the sea. Can't speak for what's available now but ours was great fun and easy to transport.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a new 260 inflatable that has never been in water complete with wooden floor, pump and oars. It has a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard that has hardly been used. Its sitting here in Spain with me at the moment, but I can arrange transport back to the UK if you cant wait until I return in May. Lock stock and barrel £600. No offers.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I have a new 260 inflatable that has never been in water complete with wooden floor, pump and oars. It has a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard that has hardly been used. Its sitting here in Spain with me at the moment, but I can arrange transport back to the UK if you cant wait until I return in May. Lock stock and barrel £600. No offers

I'm interested in this . Do you have any photos . Weights and size packed away etc. ? Ill message you my email if it makes it easier

Gary

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We've used boats with campers for the last 20 years and love the extra dimension it gives us.

Currently on a towed RIB, but flip backwards and forwards between small airdeck boats that fit in a locker, towed RIBs and conventional boats
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Nice boats Eddie and nice to see you again today although you were busy with other people. I ordered the megasat and avtex tv ....

Looking at something small and not to heavy to stick in the garage of the motorhome and to have a bit of fun with .

I like your rib more though :)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We bought a Honwave t38 inflatable with a 20hp honda engine at the NEC this week. Chose the largest inflatable they did (family of 6), with a decent size engine to cope with river and sea use. Didn't go for a solid floor as we're not (yet) keen fishermen and we won't be keeping it permanently inflated. It'll live in the vans garage, so ease of use was a must.
I don't believe there's any law stopping you using one of these in the UK (need a powerboat licence over 6hp or 40hp in France and Italy, respectively), but yes you do need to pay a toll fee etc for use on rivers and such.
Don't think the paperwork is too difficult as it seems most applications can be made online, or at the campsite if they are a marina and/or have boat launching facilities.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
if you look on the transom (the big flat bit at the rear ) of a dinghy you will see a motor rating , this is usually in Kilowatts , that is the maximum size of engine recommended by the manufacturer , also i would strongly recommend doing a R.Y.A. course if you intend going on the sea in a dinghy , the majority of accidents at sea occur in dinghies , never go out without flares , a hand held vhf (which you legally need a licence for ) life jackets for every one and an up to date weather forecast , alcohol should also be avoided.
Ive spent a lot of time sailing solo around various parts of the UK coast , ive done about 5 courses on sailing , i dont have all the answers but to go to sea without the proper gear and tuition is asking for trouble . Ive sailed in all weathers , it can be great fun , but do be prepared .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ahh I see, so I guess I can't just take it to any beach anywhere and just launch it then. Guess there's more red tape to it ?

That would be a yes here .:)
RYA or Spanish equivalent, insurance , registration ,etc; which must ALL be carried with you when using it. Same for jet-ski's.

Bit here;
Broken Link Removed

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We've used boats with campers for the last 20 years and love the extra dimension it gives us.

Currently on a towed RIB, but flip backwards and forwards between small airdeck boats that fit in a locker, towed RIBs and conventional boats View attachment 55039View attachment 55040
Probably not a good idea to drive through small villages with this lot. Mine, at 8.5 mtrs is bad enough, but a shrimp compared to yours.
Phil

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have also been thinking of adding an Inflatable to the fleet, Honwave T32ie grabs me, already have a nice 8hp Yamaha that will make it fly and yes they can travel layed down, sorry can't help you with the sun sport but keep an eye on dealers on the net, I have seen quality boats reduced to average boat prices.

Had a week at Annecy last summer and it was pure torture not being on the water other than in an inflatable kayak (soon for sale), make sure you know the local rules and regulations though at Annecy as long as you didn't have a large motor there didn't seem to be a problem.

Andy
I could be interested in the inflatable kayak, PM me when its for sale.
Phil
PS Annecys a great place innit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had several power boats over the years and presently considering another inflatable.

.. I also instruct Sea Scouts on powerboat handling..

Before taking to the water I would suggest / urge that you do the the RYA National Powerboat Level 2 training..
.. it's a two day course and very worth while..

boats are fun, but can also kill... remember the Padstow tragedy last year !

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have had a rib as a tender when in my boating time but I would suggest perhaps an inflatable with an inflatable keel, looks and performs almost the same but will fold smaller than a rib with grp bottom.
With a 3metre rib a 10 HP outboard would be fun and quick and you can transport it on its side.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You have to do both. But all boaty training is fun and
worthwhile

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If anyone is interested I also have an Island Plastics 14 ft fishing boat on trailer with a 20HP electric start and 4 HP outboard. Complete with pram cuddy, fishfinder, ship to shore radio, 2 spare wheels, anchor and various other stuff. The batteries will possibly need replacing and it will need a good cleaning as I have not been near it for over a year. Price £900 no offers as the engines are worth more than that. Its an older boat, but is seaworthy and perfect for the DIYer to potter about with. I have decided to have a clearout.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
As far as I am aware they are separate certificates and courses ..

The "normal" L2 is inland but if you do the L2 at a coastal location you get the coastal endorsement. In some countries for Navigable (think traffic lights on locks!) inland European waterways they are now asking for the Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) - "the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterway" - this is just a classroom based exam.

As luck would have it we run both at the charitable trust where I work in Sunderland.

http://www.marineactivitiescentre.c...earn- to-become-a-competent-powerboat-handler

I'm quite happy to offer a funster discount and deliver the course at £200 pp (min 2 people) , and we can even offer overnight parking for your MH, course dates are by arrangement both weekends and midweek - you could even tie it in with the monkey hangers rally at Hartlepool in July.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
A coastal course would allow you to do sea and inland waterways in the UK, so if you plan to use your boat around the coast, this would cover you for both. However, to boat around inland waterways in Europe, you need to have a CEVNI license (a type of highway code for rules and regs on water). I think its a 30 question multichoice test which you can take online, or as part of your RYA level 2 course.
We're currently looking into doing our training with Boatability, in Portsmouth harbour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back