Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I've just bought a refillable cylinder and body mount fill kit . I planned where the filler would be sited on side of van , ordered the bits . when the bits came it says in the instructions to "avoid" locating the filler within 500mm of a window or any flue . my chosen location is above the truma boiler flue ( 250mm ) . there is no real alternative that I can see as to the right of the gas locker is a large garage door . is an in locker fill point really a problem at filling stations ? .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
is an in locker fill point really a problem at filling stations ? .

Mine is on the inside of the bottle locker..... not a problem, except if the wind is blowing... I have to hold the door to stop it flapping about..

Not sure why it was put there, as there is room on the outside,,,, perhaps for looks.. :)

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks for the quick reply , it would certainly be easier in cupboard !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you put it in the locker some filling stations will not allow you to fill up.
Mine is in the skirt, I prefer it there as the filling nozzles are heavy and can put strain on the body when filling.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Lenny , there is a skirt directly below gas locker , that may be a plan , will wait for rain to stop and have a look , from bedroom window it looks possible ( and cold and wet ! ) . Thanks .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Strange...... All the trips and refill`s home and abroad I have never had a problem or been refused... (y) :)

I think the odds on being refused are very slim Mo.. .. however..

I was refused with the RV at a French garage on the Autoroute.... .. drew up to the pump and opened the LPG tank locker door.. went to get the filling gun and an attendant came out and in her best French told me it was not for cooking gas .. only for engine.. so we left and filled up at the next services..

So while it may never happen just be aware that it can and don't take offense.. the attendant has every right to say 'non' if you are filling bottles or a tank for domestic use..

so having a filler on the outside will draw less attention to the fact it is not for engine use.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Ours is on the inside of the locker and we've only had a chap come and tell us we couldn't, once. However as I'd finished filling it by then, it didn't bother me.

We've had the Gaslow system 5 years in two vans, both times with the filler inside the gas bottle locker.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Fitted mine below the skirt and have never had any problem. Had a bracket fitted to the floor underneath and the filler fits below very neatly. Even get the attendants to come and fill it for me as it's clear it's for Autogas as it says it on the filler cap. Just a tip if it's a Gaslow peel their sticker of the filler cap and it says Autogas underneath the Gaslow sticker.

If you wanted you could fill the word Autogas in with Black paint.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks , more options are available now . skirt favourite as I already have white fill point . a bracket as I think techno has fitted may be required to support it .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny , there is a skirt directly below gas locker , that may be a plan , will wait for rain to stop and have a look , from bedroom window it looks possible ( and cold and wet ! ) . Thanks .
Photo of mine, my gas locker is inside the garage, the filler is directly below the locker.

P1000054.jpg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you fit it into the skirt it may not be able to be transferred to another MH, just another thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you fit it into the skirt it may not be able to be transferred to another MH, just another thought.
Why not? Loads of people do it, just fit a blanking plug or leave the filler in place.
Anyway I left the last ones in the van, good selling point and the cost of new ones is small compared to the cost of the van.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
OK , had a mooch under van , will fit in skirt , just need a longer fill hose . thanks everybody .:notworthy2:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
on the skirt is fine... but how is it in practice.. ?

is bending down low to fill , particularly on a wet day, going to be difficult if you have problems with your legs or back ?

just a thought..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Obviously it does involve bending to fill and makes reaching up for the button on the pump a bit difficult, on my last van I used to get the boss to do the pump bit, on the new van it's a bit higher off the deck and can manage myself providing I get the van positioned right.

Even if it causes more problems filling up I would prefer that to putting another hole through the bodywork (unless it's a PVC).

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You only bend down to connect and disconnect, you don't stand holding it (on UK pumps) . Lower is better as the weight of the nozzle and hose is much better for your van if it is as low as possible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Even if it causes more problems filling up I would prefer that to putting another hole through the bodywork (unless it's a PVC).

just my personal view.. but I would rather fit for convenience and ease of use..

You only bend down to connect and disconnect, you don't stand holding it (on UK pumps) . Lower is better as the weight of the nozzle and hose is much better for your van if it is as low as possible.

fair point..

but as legs and back get stiff.. even bending down to fit the nozzle can be difficult ..
not an issue if you are a young whipper snapper ;)

just another point for the OP to consider ..

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have an undeslung tank and the fitter said it was preferable not to put holes in the body if it could be avoided, so its in the floor of the redundant gas locker, I have been known to empty the locker next to the pump so I can fill up, nothing has ever been said

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fitter might just be a scaredy cat :LOL: so you are left with an un user friendly fill experience

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks for the input everyone , yes I have a bad leg/back . I will drive to an LPG filling pump to see what it entails . the filler would be just higher than the grey waste valve , so as it will be infrequent I may have to manage .
I agree with techno , be careful when a fitter suggests an alternative , are they just trying to make the job easier for themselves ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You do if the plastic skirt is on the flimsy side.
the weight of the nozzle and hose could cause it to crack around the filler.

Another good reason to fit the filler in the actual body.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how does the weight of the filler and hose decrease as it gets lower? surely the bending force exerted by the weight remains constant?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
how does the weight of the filler and hose decrease as it gets lower? surely the bending force exerted by the weight remains constant?

Me thinks he was referring to the skin on the van :) The strain onnit!!.. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back