Is a habitation check worth it for a decent mechanic to have done on their van. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I bought my van it had a brand new check just done by the local MH dealer. and a main dealer service for the chassis.
However I have always been a bit disappointed by the heating in the van, but this weekend away when it was cold, so was I, I thought this is not on for a van that can go all year so I started delving into the heating system, It is a Truma hot water and blown air system.
I crawled around under the van checking on ducts and looking for mouse nests etc nothing. Inside I looked at the boiler itseld and found that the paper duct tubes were not all attached to the vents under the boiler and that the air was going straight out as the ir went the easy way, the tube were just poking up miles from the outlets. I had thought the boiler heat was making the cupboard warm but no it was the outlet pipes blowing in there. A simple fault but how did he miss it, the entire front of the habitation area was cold with nothing going there at all. I have decide to go it alone myself as I have the required skills to do these checks and if they are not being done properly at a dealer then it is a waste of money just for a ticked form.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to read that. I hope that the hab check I have booked for next week is carried out a little bit more professionally.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Air duct tubes falling off the Truma is not uncommon - they are a simple push-fit.
I regularly check that mine are still attached (MAKE SURE THE TRUMA IS COLD FIRST!!!!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If theres any warranty on the van it will almost certainly require you to have a habit check carried out by an approved person as a condition of the warranty. If there isn't and you have the skills why not do it yourself. I believe you can download various hab service check sheets so the you make sure you cover everything that an "expert" would

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
When I bought my van it had a brand new check just done by the local MH dealer. and a main dealer service for the chassis.
However I have always been a bit disappointed by the heating in the van, but this weekend away when it was cold, so was I, I thought this is not on for a van that can go all year so I started delving into the heating system, It is a Truma hot water and blown air system.
I crawled around under the van checking on ducts and looking for mouse nests etc nothing. Inside I looked at the boiler itseld and found that the paper duct tubes were not all attached to the vents under the boiler and that the air was going straight out as the ir went the easy way, the tube were just poking up miles from the outlets. I had thought the boiler heat was making the cupboard warm but no it was the outlet pipes blowing in there. A simple fault but how did he miss it, the entire front of the habitation area was cold with nothing going there at all. I have decide to go it alone myself as I have the required skills to do these checks and if they are not being done properly at a dealer then it is a waste of money just for a ticked form.

Was it bought new If not does it still have a water ingress warranty if so when is it expected to be inspected and when does the warranty end???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hab checking is something that every owner should know how to do themselves.. if not you should learn or ask someone to show you. You can download a check list ..just Google it

Also, it shouldn't be a once a year check.. you can and should do the checks before every trip, check for damp regularly.. sooner caught the better, waiting 12 months may cause untold damage leading to expensive repairs .
By doing your own checks you will learn about your van.. and will know how to fix small problems, invaluable when you are away from home and not close to the dealer.. and there is plenty of help and advice on here if you get stuck.

Also bear in mind the hab check does not include servicing of gas appliances.. only checking operation. If you find an issue and don't feel confident to remedy, post on here first and if still unsure, by all means call in the 'expert'

I do appreciate that 'some' dealers warranties require the hab check to be done by a 'professional' or it voids the warranty.

I also know of one dealer ( Johns Cross, a member ) who gives three years free hab checks with every van sold.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Not a warranty issue for me but I've read the small print of my insurance. No cover for fire if no inspection by qualified engineer in the last 12 months. Thats with LV Highway.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Our Rimor requires a 6 monthly damp check (by a qualified engineer) in order to maintain the warranty

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Good pointer and may explain 'issue'with our Combi 4 on the current van. Cheers(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If theres any warranty on the van it will almost certainly require you to have a habit check carried out by an approved person as a condition of the warranty. If there isn't and you have the skills why not do it yourself. I believe you can download various hab service check sheets so the you make sure you cover everything that an "expert" would
Habitation service not a condition of warranty on Hymers, a damp check is, but that is a different matter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Habitation service

probably a slip of the tongue .. but it's a Hab check.. not a service.. items are inspected and or tested.. but not serviced.

the only item I see on the list that is serviced is the corner steadies and or retractable step which are checked and lubricated.

any items requiring servicing, you will be advised about, and if undertaken, charged extra

A Damp test is carried out & readings noted on a separate damp report sheet.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Our Rimor requires a 6 monthly damp check (by a qualified engineer) in order to maintain the warranty
Is that a hidden message from the makers???? Do they expect leaks?
I have just done a new sealing job across the whole front moulding where it joined the body, the previous owner spent a load getting it don and it was a splodgy mess of sealer. total bodge, who do these dealers employ in their workshops.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The ducts were probably overlooked at the factory build........typical British workers attitude.....tea up lads !
It is a chausson and it is 7 years old but the duct was taken right away from the boiler and left down the back it was not misplaced it had been removed and put aside probably because it was in the way of something. I have fixed and checked it out, it has never been so cosy.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Is that a hidden message from the makers???? Do they expect leaks?
I have just done a new sealing job across the whole front moulding where it joined the body, the previous owner spent a load getting it don and it was a splodgy mess of sealer. total bodge, who do these dealers employ in their workshops.

Dunno but its certainly not leaking at mo I also think that they would want to catch any water ingress ASAP hence the 6 month check
Do you have a Rimor?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
My Hab check (required by the warranty) is happening next month and DOES include gas.
Unless you are looking over the mech's shoulder, you don't know whats done and whats not.. BUT, the stamp is in the book and that gives me cover !! £140 !!
Meantime, I check myself !! Trusting, I aint. !!

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I had a mobile engineer out fit a bike rack on the rear of my MoHO but he informed me it wold not go on due to the outside shower and barbie gas point covers blocking the bottom rail. So I ask him to carry out a Hab check. He was very thorough, checked water (brought his own), gas (brought his own), electrics (his genny) and a complete damp check. All fittings work and even took time to explain how to switch on things etc. This was on our new to us van,, I was very impressed and even more so at the bill considering he came to me at the storage yard. £120 all in.:D:D

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I think it's good to do it yourself as long as you feel competent. If your a member here just about any question you might have some clever dick :rolleyes:....I mean helpful individual :love:... will be more than willing to help you out. You also get to know your van inside and out, which can't be a bad thing!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Lets be sensible here, during a hab check we don't go rootling around to check heater ducts are in place, for a start many units are so difficult to access it wouldn't be viable timewise. If you had mentioned your heater's output was poor and in particular in certain areas then the tech may well have looked into it and discovered the dislodge ducts. Hab inspections are about checking everything is working safely not that all heater outlets are giving out heat. By all means do your own but do you have the appropriate equipment to test equipment effectively? Soundness control unit, flue gas analyser etc?

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
By all means do your own but do you have the appropriate equipment to test equipment effectively? Soundness control unit, flue gas analyser etc?

Not suggesting you don't check flue gasses Dave, .. .but it's not listed on the Approved Workshop check list ... which test do you use it ?

What is a Soundness control unit. ?

List of gas checks taken form the check list..

Gas System (Fridge not serviced unless requested)

Regulator & gas hose-check age, performance & security
Carry out gas leak check
LPG Tank (if fitted) - check security
Flame failure devices (FFD) check operation
Appliances, cooker - check operation
Appliances, heater - check operation
Appliances, fridge - check operation
Appliances, water heater - check operation
Gas cylinder-check security
Ensure all gas dispersal vents are clear

a complete list of the checks

Underbody Tick (P) for pass, (F) for fail, (N/A) for not applicable & (R) for rectified P F N/A R
Under slung tanks and pipes - check condition and security
Electrical systems
Check the leisure battery is being charged by the engine and mains charger
Battery (if fitted)-check condition of battery and compartment & check battery charge state
Battery (if fitted)-check & top up level if required & perform high discharge test
Fridge-check operation from 12v and 230v (ELV & LV)
Interior lighting & equipment-check operation & fuse rating
Awning light-check operation
Wiring earths-check for defects on all ELV circuits (Visual)
LV inlet plug & extension lead-check condition & resistance across connection pins
Earth bonding-Visual Inspection
RCD unit-check operation of RCD test button & operation of MCB's
230v sockets-carry out plug top polarity test
Electric awning & step - check condition & operation
Check electric hob (if fitted)
Check operation of all other 230v appliances, fans & luminaries
Air conditioning (if fitted)-check operation (Weather Dependent)
Check that any additional items fitted are to the relevant standard
Gas System (Fridge not serviced unless requested)
Regulator & gas hose-check age, performance & security
Carry out gas leak check
LPG Tank (if fitted) - check security
Flame failure devices (FFD) check operation
Appliances, cooker - check operation
Appliances, heater - check operation
Appliances, fridge - check operation
Appliances, water heater - check operation
Gas cylinder-check security
Ensure all gas dispersal vents are clear
Water System
Water pump & pressure switch-check operation
Taps,micro-switch,valves,pipes & tank (if fitted)-check condition & operation
Water filter & housing-check for leaks & replace filter if requested by customer
Waste system-check for leaks
Water tanks (if fitted)-check security of all water tanks, including under slung
Drain down-winter only (suggest 01/11 - 31/03 weather determined) (unless advised not to by the customer)
Toilet-check security, operation of flush pump & lubricate seals
Ventilation
Fixed ventilation-check for obstruction & free flow of air
Check all fixed ventilation is guarded against vermin ingression
Roof lights-check for cracks, operation & free of obstructions
Fire & Safety
Smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarm(s)-check operation & replace battery if necessary
If a fire extinguisher is fitted, check to ensure it is in date
If a fire blanket is fitted-check security of its housing
Bodywork
Doors & windows-Check operation of all locks,catches,stays & seals
Roof-check condition of roof lights & seals & also general condition of roof
Body attachments - check security (including ladders, cycle racks, lockers, aerials, satellite dishes, etc)
Cab seat - check operation (swivel type or bed configuration only)
Floor-check for sponginess/delamination
Furniture-check condition & operation of all furniture doors, handles & fixings

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Well you see Jim I don't fully endorse the NCC AWS system or its hab check list, I do my own list. The flue gas analyser is used on all gas fuelled appliances except the cooker to prove clean and safe burn, NCC AWS doesn't include flue gas analysis even though the CITO ACOPS gas training course advises it.

Soundness control unit is the device used to pressurise the entire system to 5 times normal working pressure to do a pressure drop test, I don't know how this can be done effectively without one.

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well you see Jim I don't fully endorse the NCC AWS system or its hab check list, I do my own list. The flue gas analyser is used on all gas fuelled appliances except the cooker to prove clean and safe burn, NCC AWS doesn't include flue gas analysis even though the CITO ACOPS gas training course advises it.

Soundness control unit is the device used to pressurise the entire system to 5 times normal working pressure to do a pressure drop test, I don't know how this can be done effectively without one.

D.

thanks for explaining.. so would I be correct in saying a lot of hab check people won't include these tests .. ?

If so, that means you can do you own hab check to the AWS standard, without flue gas analyzer or a high pressure test

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
AWS schedule will include using the soundness control unit for pressure drop test but the flue gas analysis is not specified. So no you cannot do your on hab inspection to AWS level without at least a soundness control unit. I personally have no problem with people doing their own check as long as they know what they're doing and accept the limitations of not having all the gear. In my humble opinion a flue gas analysis is the most important part of the entire gas section (if not the entire inspection) as its the only way to establish proper burning of the appliances.

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@dave newell lvs

thanks Dave.. I'm conversant with both pressure testing and gas analysing..

As an instrument technician working on off shore production platforms, in oil refineries and in power stations, it was part and parcel of my trade .. We used to pressure test hydraulic control lines to well-head shut down valves up to 3,000 psi .. and of course in fossil fueled power stations, gas anaylsers are widely used in boilers and flues.. hence my interest.

back on topic.. I would suggest that anyone paying for a hab check should ask if both these tests are carried out.. and if not look for someone like yourself who does .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suppose, as you could buy the gas analyser and soundness tester for about £600, they could pay for themselves in 4-5 years with the amount some hab checks cost. You could do your friends too.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I suppose, as you could buy the gas analyser and soundness tester for about £600, they could pay for themselves in 4-5 years with the amount some hab checks cost. You could do your friends too.

Not quite as the gas analyser needs annual calibration at around £50 a go. Besides which you need to understand what the FGA is telling you. I think I paid around £550 for my FGA alone.

D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

D.
I've normally checked gas system soundness using a water manometer - one does have to wait a while though:). The soundness test you do pressurises to around 20psi. How long to you wait for a drop in pressure? I'd assume that using the higher pressure means very little wait.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back