Converting fluorescent tube light to LED tube light (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi

I've been reading through the many past posts relating to swapping out MR11 halogen bulbs for LED's and SMD type bulbs and wondered whether anyone has changed their fluorescent tube/strip light for an LED tube light?
(This isn't the LED strip light type of lighting which you cut down to length. It's the T5 fitting tube with the two prongs on each end - looks very similar to the tube currently fitted).

I've come across these tubes in some online stores (bedazzled lighting for instance) and although expensive, they last a lot longer and use less juice - apparently.
What it does say is that you have to remove or bypass the high voltage driver/ballast unit. Has anyone any experience of doing this?
Or has anyone changed their standard fit tube lights for LED tubes?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They look good to me. The original tube driver is easily removed leaving a simple 12v & earth feed to the unit. The instructions with the tube will explain how to connect the feed & earth to the tube.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Should soon be on ebay at a fraction of the cost...............might be worth waiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Yes, have done it.
As stated, use the 12v supply by bypassing the circuitry there. Straightforward really, and every little helps when saving the amps.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
why use an expensive tube when you can just use the self adhesive strips mine are four years old now and going strong each fitting cost less than a fiver to convert and took 15 minutes to do if you anywhere near me i could help you do one

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
why use an expensive tube when you can just use the self adhesive strips mine are four years old now and going strong each fitting cost less than a fiver to convert and took 15 minutes to do if you anywhere near me i could help you do one

Exactly,
That's what I used in the tube fittings.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above..
I cannot see any benefit to buying tubes if they are a lot more expensive and you need to mess about disconnecting the Inverter.
If they are under cupboards you dont even see them.
On my previous van I removed the tubes, Found the 12v supply before it entered the ballast / inverter on the strip light.
Fitted adhesive LED strip under the cupboard and connected to the 12v.. Simple, effective, power saving etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with other re led tubes.
if the light has a cover its far cheaper to replace with a flexy led strip.

Bypassing the ballast is simple.
Make sure the 12v is turned off.....
cut both v+ and v- where they connect to the circuit board and connect to v+ and v- on the led strip.
remove the old board if needed.

All mine where twin tube with the board in the centre so i left mine in situ in case i ever had to revert to fluorescent tubes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree the power saving will be minimal at best may even be worse, also florescent's give a more even spread of light with softer shadows.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Great advice everyone and thank you all.
It's given me food for thought.
I'm in the process of changing the MR11 bulbs, so will have a look at the tube situation next.
Thanks again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agree the power saving will be minimal at best may even be worse, also florescent's give a more even spread of light with softer shadows.
An average 12" 12v strip light (flourecent) is 11watts......an LED strip of the same output is around 2watts.

an 80% saving.

I replaced 9 x twin tube for single led strips
all 18 tubes together consumed around around 16amps...i can run all 9 leds for the same as one twin tube light.

Last edited:

andreWander

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Thames Valley
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 2007
Exp
Ditto. remove tube and disconnect feed. Wire led strip instead. I had two lights on same switch. great saving.
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An average 12" 12v strip light (flourecent) is 11watts......an LED strip of the same output is around 2watts.

an 80% saving.

I replaced 9 x twin tube for single led strips
all 18 tubes together consumed around around 16amps...i can run all 9 leds for the same as one twin tube light.
Does depend on the LED you use and if you have that amount of tubes worthwhile, but most vans usually only have one tube above the hob. Well that's in all the vans I've seen and it's only on for a short time while cooking, that was my reasoning.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Ditto. remove tube and disconnect feed. Wire led strip instead. I had two lights on same switch. great saving. View attachment 54938 View attachment 54939
ours were quite short and we wanted them for reading so we went up and down the fitting four timesstuck down along the straight runs and just curved of the surface at each ends

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does depend on the LED you use and if you have that amount of tubes worthwhile, but most vans usually only have one tube above the hob. Well that's in all the vans I've seen and it's only on for a short time while cooking, that was my reasoning.
Agreed....just one or two may not be worth the money and time.

I didnt change the twin tube light in the toilet for obvious reasons....you're only in there a couple of minutes whereas all the others are hab lights.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
How stable does the voltage need to be for these strips?
On another thread it was suggested that LED's need to be capable of several volts variation or will blow. I think it needs to be 10v - 14v to allow for use when on charge from mains hook-up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never had a problem with mine on genny, both onboard and suitcase, mains charger or solar.

Charger has an auto desulphating mode at 15v every 20 days or so...never caused a problem.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
i think the leds used now are less sensitve to voltage my first ones failed very quickly they were the silicon encapsulated ones

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We agree with mitzimad, we changed all internal lighting for strip leds, having a "U" shaped lounge we bought a couple of 5 mtr Warm White lengths cut and soldered to length used them under and above the cupboards to create a really soft lighting effect.

Took a couple of hours to strip out the old fluorescent tubes and fit the new led strips, the new led system used around 80% less power.

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I'm changing our lights this weekend and have found these
Broken Link Removed
but now I'm slightly confused as how to fit them o_O

Please help!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
I'm changing our lights this weekend and have found these
Broken Link Removed
but now I'm slightly confused as how to fit them o_O

Please help!!
looking at that link they apear to be solid lengths rather than the rolls of led but principle will be the same im not sure if you can shorten those but it does say you can connect up to five basically stick them to the place you want them then two wires they are usually polarity sensitive to red to plus and black to earth

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Thank you! Where can you get the rolls of LED? (Still googling!)

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
eBay, in the UK or cheap direct from China takes a couple of weeks.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi.
I bought mine on eBay. I had already changed the older bulbs with LED but have now gone one step further by fitting LED RGB strips around the top of the van to create "mood" lighting. Works well. If Les is in a good mood I makes it all red or if I'm in the sh*t for something it's blue! I can adjust to most colours, depending on mood!
I also used white LED strips to run down the inner and leading edge of the awning. When the awning is rolled in, it provides a double light down the whole side of the van, if the awning is out then it provides an even light throughout the awning. As the light is adjustable in intensity I can keep it low or light up the whole bloody campsite!! They have been fitted for over a year and are still working well ( so far!) :winky:

Jun 19, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have done the two of mine in Chausson 85 tubes used 0.9 amps with led now 0.17 amps thats each light bought from internet at 70 pence per strip (plus postage from china ) used 2 per light nice color light .Does anybody want the old units with tubes free to good owner (will be at Peterborough on Fri ) to save on postage

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back