Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Sika Sikaflex EBT+ Adhesive White 300ml

I need to sort a few issues with the external locker hinges today, I have taken some off and clearly there is a spot of sealant around the screw holes from the factory build. Now I know from previous threads that a Sikaflex product is the one to go for. The screfix site offers two types the adhesive as above and a sealant type, can anyone confirm which is the general 'go to' product to go for? Thanks

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I would hazard a guess at "Sealant"....

You may want to be able to remove the screws at some point, and using the adhesive might prove a problem if so..

OP
OP
Zains Pops
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Hi ZP save your self a few bob and use this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85566
Good for both sealing and sticking /used for all sorts of jobs both in and out on the van
terry
Thanks Terry, will visit the Toolstore place in town. Should I need to service the hinges again in the future, will this stuff come apart with gentle persuasion using the appropriate tools?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
You'd think that Screwfix would sell a Sika product for caravans and campers, I'm sure there's a demand for it.

I use EBT for building works, wouldn't dream of using on the moho though, it's a really thick consistency and can be difficult to work with compared to 512.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I also have a boat, and subscribe to a boat forum. There is a lot of advice regarding sealants on it.

I have cut-& pasted part of a recent thread, that may be of help. The following link may also be of use. ... how to do it properly!

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

"I would choose mastic tape - get it from caravan shops or eBay. Just search for Mastic tape.

If you fancy something in a liquid form, consider Polysulphide sealant orSikaflex.

But never siliconeā€¦..

1, It is not the best thing for the job! It does not adhere well to the substrate and will separate leading to leaks.

2, It is not UV stabilised, OK in your bathroom, but not for outdoor use.

3, It is not over paintable. In fact the slightest trace of silicone and paint will lift. It is also impossible to remove all traces. So you will never be able to paint or successfully seal that component in the future.

There are products from Sika, 3M and others that solve all these problems. Some are adhesives and some are sealants. Choose wisely.

I would use something like Sikaflex 291 or butyl tape."

Hope this help,
John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry, will visit the Toolstore place in town. Should I need to service the hinges again in the future, will this stuff come apart with gentle persuasion using the appropriate tools?
Yes you can remove it (not easy but it can be done)
terry

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
@Terry
Hi Terry I want to stick a 150mm x 100mm junction box on my lift up roof to join the wires from the solar panel that are a bit rigid to the new flexible wire using MC 4 connectors.

Would this be the stuff to use.
Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
@Terry
Hi Terry I want to stick a 150mm x 100mm junction box on my lift up roof to join the wires from the solar panel that are a bit rigid to the new flexible wire using MC 4 connectors.

Would this be the stuff to use.
Thanks.
yes it will stick most things to most other things (y)-Use masking tape to try and keep things neat and have plenty of spit and paper towel handy :D
terry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cheers @Terry...
Just found this after doing a search on FUN..
Used to get sikaflex for around Ā£6ish off ebay but it all seems to have dried up and cheapest is Ā£10 plus..
Found a toolstation not to far away so will go get some :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back