Engine/transmission clarification needed pls. (1 Viewer)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
is the engine and transmission fitted to the Peugeot based 2015 Auto Quests/baileys and the the FIAT unit fitted to the likes of Hobby/Benimar essentially the same unit?, but with different badging?

Or are they completely different. Externally the cab is the same, does this mean the power units are too?

Cars often share power trains between manufactures, and was wondering the same ref. motorhomes.

Cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say the same....they always used to be.

Known as Sevel vans...puegeot, fiat and citroen, all made to the same drawings with minor cosmetic differences.

But you go to a citroen dealer and ask for a fiat sump bung washer....no chance as parts are the same but part numbers are different.

Believe me, i tried.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes and no. It depends on which engine/transmission option you are choosing!

The MH manufacturers have the same engine options available to them for all vehicles on the Sevel base (ie Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen) as they all come out of the same factory, but some may choose to offer different combinations to other MH manufacturers, so a Burstner may be on a Fiat but could have a 2.3L engine, or a 3L engine, whereas a Hobby may have another option available. Some MH manufacturers also use the Ford base too such as Chausson and Hobby and what it is, is dependent on which model of MH you want.

Fiat do the 2.3 and 3.0 litres and both of these I believe can be mated with either a manual or automatic gearbox. However Peugeot I believe offer a 2.2 litre engine (which I think is a Ford engine and doesn't come with the automatic option) for lower spec'd conversions but a 3.0 L Fiat one for others and/or those wanting an automatic.

There are also power output options too just to confuse you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I would say the same....they always used to be.

Known as Sevel vans...puegeot, fiat and citroen, all made to the same drawings with minor cosmetic differences.

But you go to a citroen dealer and ask for a fiat sump bung washer....no chance as parts are the same but part numbers are different.

Believe me, i tried.

This is my thinking too.

I am/was keen to go FIAT but after spending a good few days looking the vans we really like happen to be Peugeot.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But regardless of which option and configuration is used they are all made in the same Factories.

They do not buy in engines from another source.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Peugeot, as I already said, is normally a 2.2 L engine (unless you go for the 3L upgrade) and doesn't have a cambelt, instead being chain driven, so no cambelt to change in the future, but obviously you have to be happy with having a small different in power output (120 instead of 130 I believe) which isn't massive but depends on what MH you are looking at as to whether it will make a difference.

Our PVC is an Autocruise Accent which we bought at a few months old, however if we'd bought it new we would have had the choice of either a Fiat 2.3L or a Peugeot 2.2L base.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the 3.0l engine in both is supplied by iveco

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes and no. It depends on which engine/transmission option you are choosing!

The MH manufacturers have the same engine options available to them for all vehicles on the Sevel base (ie Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen) as they all come out of the same factory, but some may choose to offer different combinations to other MH manufacturers, so a Burstner may be on a Fiat but could have a 2.3L engine, or a 3L engine, whereas a Hobby may have another option available. Some MH manufacturers also use the Ford base too such as Chausson and Hobby and what it is, is dependent on which model of MH you want.

Fiat do the 2.3 and 3.0 litres and both of these I believe can be mated with either a manual or automatic gearbox. However Peugeot I believe offer a 2.2 litre engine (which I think is a Ford engine and doesn't come with the automatic option) for lower spec'd conversions but a 3.0 L Fiat one for others and/or those wanting an automatic.

There are also power output options too just to confuse you!

Good post thankyou.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hobby don't do a ford on there new range of vehicles but not sure, however on a recent service I was informed my hobby fiat 63 plate was in fact a ford transit engine how bizarre

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The van chassis and any bodywork is essentially the same across the SEVEL ranges but PSA and Fiat fit their own engines and associated gearboxes. So Ducatos have versions of the Fiat Multijet engine (e.g. 2.3 litre 110 / 130 / 150 bhp or the 3 litre 180 bhp) and Relays / Boxers have the PSA HDi engines (2.2 litre with outputs from 110 to 150 or the 3 litre 180 bhp version on the Boxer) I am not sure whether there is any commonality between the Fiat and PSA 3 litre engines.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hobby don't do a ford on there new range of vehicles but not sure, however on a recent service I was informed my hobby fiat 63 plate was in fact a ford transit engine how bizarre
the same engine is found in several vehicles by a few manufacturers. silly then that certain vehicle manufacturers charge more than others for spare parts to fit the same engine, just a different badge

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Variants of engines listed in wiki .. this is 2011 on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Capture1.PNG

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
basic answer to your qurstion is no the fiat engines are actually ivecos and the citroen peugots are ford the 3 litrs fiats are also iveco

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Wikipedia is slightly out of date concerning future developments. Diesel engines for Peugeot, Citroen and Ford have been made at the PSA plant in Tremery (Lorraine) for several years as part of a joint working agreement. However, in 2012 PSA announced the end of that agreement for larger diesel engines which they will now develop separately. The change will hit the marketplace any time now.

Ford and PSA/Peugeot-Citroen have announced that their collaboration on large diesel motors will cease. Both companies were quick to state that the move was not influenced by the French automaker's recent alliance with Ford's arch-rival, General Motors.

A joint Ford-PSA statement said the two automakers "have decided to independently develop and manufacture their larger diesel engines (2.0-liter and above) to meet their future needs as well as new regulations." Diesel mills of that size that were jointly developed by Ford and PSA are currently used in a wide variety of their European offerings, and it won't be until after 2015 that the companies will begin to offer independently-developed motors.

Ford and PSA will continue their partnership on 1.4-liter to 1.6-liter diesels, which have constituted more than three quarters of the more than 20 million engines the companies have jointly built over the last 12 years.

So that includes engines for the van range.

Also, the PSA factory at Metz produces gearboxes for the Boxer / Jumper and the Ducato - all of which are made in Italy at the SEVEL Sud factory.
According to the PSA corporate site, the new agreement with GM will include joint development of light commercial vehicles but it is not clear whether that is for car-derived vans or the larger Boxer size.
The first vehicles from this collaboration will be launched in 2016.

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ok, I have tried to fathom out using the info. above and the various manufacturers web sites which of the current (2015) and last year (2014) engines have which type of camshaft drive.

Does any body know if the 2.2 Peugeot's as fitted to Elddis have chain or belt. I think I have worked out they are chain driven cam shafts but am not able to confirm.

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions.

Ed. Sorry yes I see this was answered further up.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back