LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Hi
Our son seems to think we have to update our paper driving licences to use abroad !
Saying that the authority's will not accept them
So can I ask you all on here do you agree with this or are we ok?
as I think the problem might only occur if we were perhaps hireing a vehicle.
Needless to say it's what we have been using for all our past travels
Many thanks !

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
If you haven't got the photographic licence then it is probably wise to up date.
ezee

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As far as I am aware you are still fine in Europe with a paper licence, that is definitely the case here, we have not been informed of any plans to change that, although we don't always get informed by DVLA of changes DVSA are in our office at lest three times a week for driving tests and the examiners are up to date with changes and always inform us, I will ask tomorrow when the examiners are here.

All the best Rick

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I thought paper licences were abolished in January?
Or was it a rumour?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi
Our son seems to think we have to update our paper driving licences to use abroad !
Saying that the authority's will not accept them
So can I ask you all on here do you agree with this or are we ok?
as I think the problem might only occur if we were perhaps hireing a vehicle.
Needless to say it's what we have been using for all our past travels
Many thanks !

In Spain you must carry photographic I.D at all times , a new style photo Uk driving licence is sufficient otherwise you will be required to carry your passport at all times .
Failure to do so is a fine .
Why the reluctance to change your licence ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Foghorn Leghorn is correct. It isn't just Spain, lot's of EU countries require you to carry ID. Personally I hate carrying my passport unless absolutely necessary. The photocard driving licence is accepted everywhere as valid ID, and it is so convenient to carry.

Don't forget, driving your own vehicle abroad, you must be able to produce the V5, and photo ID to prove that you own the vehicle.

My mother and Father were extremely reluctant to change to photocard, but when the dreaded 70 year renewal came, they loved it. Dad actually said he wished he'd changed it sooner!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If your paper one is a Pink EU one, or a Pink & Green EU your are OK, the old Green one that does not have EU on it is a bit of a grey area, Spain & Italy and a few other counties may require an International Driving License as well if you only have the Green one.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In Spain you must carry photographic I.D at all times , a new style photo Uk driving licence is sufficient otherwise you will be required to carry your passport at all times .
We have had our passports copied and reduced to credit card size in Mail Box in Spain for I.D. purposes,,,BUSBY.

Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
I have scanned passports, EHics, driving licences(both parts), NHS certificates, log books, insurance certificates and MOT certificates and uploaded to cloud.
Also scan any holiday docs when available.
Now accessible anywhere I can get a signal.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you apply for a new licence on line, for Gods sake don't destroy your old paper licence, as they instruct you to do! I know a few bikers who passed their tests years ago, having the right to ride a motorcycle 'lost', because they claim you never ever had a full bike licence! Without the proof of your old paper licence, your scuppered. :(:(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My reason, if i had the choice today, would be because i paid for my paper licence to run up to age 70.
a photocard must have the photo updated every 10 years at a cost of £20 into the governments coffers.
if you didnt have a photo before i see no reason to have a photo now.

I dont even see the need for a physical licence anyway....we no longer need a tax disc, we no longer get an MOT certificate (we get a reciept) and we no longer have real need of an insurance certificate......everything is in a database, including all your licence history.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If you apply for a new licence on line, for Gods sake don't destroy your old paper licence, as they instruct you to do! I know a few bikers who passed their tests years ago, having the right to ride a motorcycle 'lost', because they claim you never ever had a full bike licence! Without the proof of your old paper licence, your scuppered. :(:(
Happend to me in 1998 when I became a born again biker at some point on a licence renew my motorcycle entitlement disappeared
Had to redo my test as I could not prove I had one I passed my bike test in 1969
But they said they could not trace records back that far
Tossers cost me about £700 quid
Now to be fair it was the best thing that happened as I thought I could ride a bike and I quickly found out I could not ride half as well as I thought I learnt so much 4 half day lessons on a cb 500 and then passed my test first time

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What is this paper licence? I have a very nice little red book.

( Joke, for the do not get it, mob)

I do think that I should get a plastic one now as I cannot even go to the scrap yard now without one.
Trouble is it cost so much nowadays the other one was, five bob.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Good advice Tootles. Tell 'em its lost There are cases of the DVLA granting some drivers rights they hadn't taken a test for. A memorable one was a guy who was given the qualification to drive a double deck bus when he only had a m/c licence AND he was only 18

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

I do think that I should get a plastic one now as I cannot even go to the scrap yard now without one.

Gawd your old

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Gawd your old

Mine is a little black book.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Red? Quite new then, what about buff?
Drfiving LIcence.jpg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's why Pete hasn't changed his paper one, Pappajohn.

Years ago we got pulled by police on Skopelos for wearing no helmets, but it was only the hire bikes they were stopping. They pulled us onto a large forecourt in front of a shop and whilst we were waiting our turn, a young Greek chap with long flowing hair and an elderly woman riding pillion sidesaddle pulled in, parked and went into the shop. They were on a motorbike - not sure exactly what but much more oomph than 50 or 80cc as we all were.

Two little Dutch girlies in front of us - she had a photocard licence and the twat starts having a go at her - What is theese? Theese is not your driving licence! etc and towering over her menacingly. He just wouldn't listen. She looked like she was going to burst into tears. So although it was Pete he needed not me - I got my photo one out and said Look - yes it certainly is her driving licence - and turning to her said These are the latest EUROPEAN licences we all have to have now, aren't they? - then we both faced him and glared back so he had to accept it - dunno how she'd have got on if she hadn't had any back-up.

Apparently they'd sent him over from the mainland so he was throwing his weight about - regularly used to book all the travel co reps for parking - and nobody else - etc.

Still, like us, nobody we spoke to bothered paying the fine ........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back