Anyone had a fun time at the NEC this week? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Very different experience this time, compared to October.
No bean to cup stuff offered (if coffee floats your boat); more like instant nescafe/douwe egberts. I understand there are no manufacturers there to pick up the tab!
Joined everything that moved :LOL: - I'll give 'em all a year, before I'm qualified to be jaded.
I think we looked in just one MH (pathetic, I know :D). Our 'baby' wasn't there to be viewed, so we'll just have to hang tight until the end of March.
We DID buy a boat though! Men and their toys. :rolleyes:
Oh, and a Vango Kela II tall awning - let's hope it fits.
Was asked where our first outing was likely to be. 'Somerset', I replied, whilst waiting for HWMBO to finish chatting to someone from VanBitz. We're getting a Growler alarm fitted.
Anyone else got a smoking credit card this week?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
No. All I bought at the show was a coffee. And that was weak and almost undrinkable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are off there on Saturday. I will get my coffee outside the main halls if it is bad in the halls:)

What kind of boat did you buy :)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Yep! Had a fun day, although Ron did keep me away from Hall 1 and all the accessory stands! We bought a cup holder thing which we were told would fit our Boxer (it doesn't) a 6m flag pole and Funsters flag (got to be done!) and spent hours (sorry Eddie!) chatting to Eddie and Lynne (Vanbitz) As a result we are currently sat in our Mo in Taunton about to have a solar panel and second battery fitted first thing tomorrow! At least Ron will be a bit happier about going 'off grid' in future...if only at Chester!!

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Was there Tuesday and having been to last Octobers found it a little disappointing.
Had some questions for a couple of the exhibitors and could not believe that a company like VB Air would have representatives who were unable to answer the first, and subsequently only, question ...'fully raised, how much extra height do you gain, above ride height, when the system is fully inflated?'...
However the rep on the Tow-Trust was fully clued up and offering some good deals.
But generally it lacked inspiration and I will give it miss next year.
Spud.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Going on Saturday. Just for a good old nosey around, could be interested in some tyre pal if there is a good deal going.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Just returned from the show. Not too impressed as there didn't appear to be as many accessory stalls as previous years. Managed to spend £10 on a selection of salami's but that was it. However now need to find a replacement power cable for the dash cam as the new pup chewed through it when I wasn't looking!!!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Was there Tuesday and having been to last Octobers found it a little disappointing.
Had some questions for a couple of the exhibitors and could not believe that a company like VB Air would have representatives who were unable to answer the first, and subsequently only, question ...'fully raised, how much extra height do you gain, above ride height, when the system is fully inflated?'...
However the rep on the Tow-Trust was fully clued up and offering some good deals.
But generally it lacked inspiration and I will give it miss next year.
Spud.
That was the trouble I found last year, so I too will give it a miss in future.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We are not bothering this year - we went last year with the potential of buying a new MoHo.

However, and I mean this truthfully, the MoHo's on display were not in the same league as our 06 one (OK we only have 29,000 on it) but everything looked like they were being built by B&Q at the local YMCA, shocking interiors, flat, square edged, corner peeling veneered doors, MDF everywhere, what looked like a pile of pallets (steps) leading up to sky high fixed beds, a sneeze and you would put your head through the roof - we were really shocked.:crying:

I think the recession hit MoHo (and caravan) manufacturers hard and they cut corners on quality. Doors misaligned, crappy upholstery and just a 'sad' look about them,,,,,, not just the cheap enders either.:Eeek:

I hope, now the roads seem to be filling up with Moho's, that the quality is going to get back up on target. The cabs, however, were leaps and bounds better than a few years ago, it was just the conversions I found disappointing. Friends of ours have just come back (we went with them last year) and they said the show was not even a little better this year. My old H reg Kon-Tiki was better quality than most there.

As the 'stage' for new MoHo's here, manufacturers need to re-look at their designs and quality - Jeez they are from 40k - 140k Oh Please!.

Oh' happy happy.

Trikeman. ;)

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Yes, not quite the same buzz as October.
Boat looks fun though - we bought an Honwave t38 inflatable - so the Italian lakes are definitely on this year. :)

Hope you have fun Merc. At any rate, it's better than work/school run. :D

Jan 29, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2014
Thank goodness for shop and drop. We bought 2 Quest Elite Deluxe folding chairs, 2 Duvalay toppers, collapseable bucket, Caravan Club membership, Motorhome cleaning products, Toilet cleaners, dog cleaning roll and Fiamma step block bag.

Mind you we are new to this game so hopefully will slow down on the spending soon - after we get the Fiamma Awning!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We are not bothering this year - we went last year with the potential of buying a new MoHo.

However, and I mean this truthfully, the MoHo's on display were not in the same league as our 06 one (OK we only have 29,000 on it) but everything looked like they were being built by B&Q at the local YMCA, shocking interiors, flat, square edged, corner peeling veneered doors, MDF everywhere, what looked like a pile of pallets (steps) leading up to sky high fixed beds, a sneeze and you would put your head through the roof - we were really shocked.:crying:

I think the recession hit MoHo (and caravan) manufacturers hard and they cut corners on quality. Doors misaligned, crappy upholstery and just a 'sad' look about them,,,,,, not just the cheap enders either.:Eeek:

I hope, now the roads seem to be filling up with Moho's, that the quality is going to get back up on target. The cabs, however, were leaps and bounds better than a few years ago, it was just the conversions I found disappointing. Friends of ours have just come back (we went with them last year) and they said the show was not even a little better this year. My old H reg Kon-Tiki was better quality than most there.

As the 'stage' for new MoHo's here, manufacturers need to re-look at their designs and quality - Jeez they are from 40k - 140k Oh Please!.

Oh' happy happy.

Trikeman. ;)

Great post, couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm always amazed at newcomers genuinely wowed by the new vans, eagerly signing away huge sums of money.

We always have fun though, it's either hunt for the quality van, or how many faults can we find.

Also quite enjoy getting told off by my better half for being too vocal about crap build quality and shoddy workmanship.

Always respect the vans though, someone will ultimately be buying it after all - cannot believe how ruff and uncaring people are, do wonder if they treat their vans the same way ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Wanted to see about a Chausson 610 and when I asked about the price was told, no negotiation was going to be done as there is a limited number and full price with no extras, as they will be able to sell every one they get at the full price.
I will be keeping the old one so I will not be the person paying for the new one. Upemall..
I did meet Eddie van de bitz in the mobile emporium on his stand , and the esteemed leader J. was lurking back in the trailer, drinking tea.

I will be waiting in the background for the newcomer who pays for all the bits, doesn't actually like motorhoming and sell up at the end of the year.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Went last year. Was NOT impressed with any of the salesman's knowledge. Far too many couldn't answer the simplest of Q's. I really do suspect they are family friends or relatives of the dealer principal having an all expenses paid weeks jolly so know now't at all about the product

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
We went yesterday, but as it was the first motorhome show I have been to, I can't really compare it to previous shows. Enjoyed seeing all the latest vans, but still happy with my new purchase -Auto Trail 600B. Made enquiries about Solar Panels, Gasflow cylinders, and bought a set of Mirror Guards and some motorhome cleaner. Dog Agility was great fun. Generally enjoyed the day - despite long walk from East 3 car park in the rain! Got the bus back. Generally enjoyed the day.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
I enjoyed the bouncy walk across the lake. It was blue skies all day on Wednesday.
Kids would have enjoyed that bit too....the rest of the show not so much. :rolleyes: I was impressed how much they laid on for kids though.
Amazed at the size of some of the tents. More rooms than my first house! Are these the units that the 'clubs' are describing in their handbooks when they ask people to ring in if over 9m x 5m. Nothing with an engine is that huge, surely? Suppose they could mean your outfit plus an annex. Yep, NEWBIE ALERT, sorry!:D

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The October show is the one for seeing the next years models of motorhomes & for doing a deal as there are manufacturer offers on top of those that the dealer can do (y) For 2 years running now we have spent 2 days there & totally indulged in all things motorhome related especially being able to talk direct to the companies not just the dealers who rarely know their products that well. Know we might be considered a bit sad but do love innovative products & a good deal! :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I drove up yesterday and spent the night at Somers Wood, but having sold my MoHo last week I had to take my son's VW.

Never again, but we made it in and spoke with the ALDI heating man then spent about two hours with Eddie Van Bitz and his daughter Lyn, picking his brain and lining him up for some serious supplying and fitting of gear on the MoHo we went up to buy.

We're talking Growler / Tracker / Satellite Dish or dome / Gaslow / Sat Nav / Inverter / and more besides. He gave us the benefit of his advice and off we went to order the MoHo.

Three hours later we returned to cancel everything apart from the Growler and Tracker as we switched MoHo models and bought one with everything on it.

So here I am head spinning from the experience, watch out for those fast talking sales people, they made me remortgage the house just to sell me the van I didn't really want.........:wink:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
there must have been some good sales people there. but there are really bad ones there as well.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I orderd a Kon-tike 669 at the October show. It was due April/ May. I sore the rep from Lowdams and was told that they s is a months delay. I still bought a Avtex 21" tv, correlle diner set. So when the MO comes I will meet all of you FUNSTERS. Happy days to come.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hey Griff don't keep us hanging in there what did you get :Eeek:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
The show was good really enjoyed it. Saw some awful payloads :-(. I set of slideouts quoted 3250 running weight on a 3500 van! Another, i think tribute said 7 berth all on a 3500 van! How is that possible?

Elly May

Free Member
Feb 27, 2013
Woodchester, Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Went on Saturday (thank you MinxyGirl ) & it was absolutely heaving with people. Unreal prices on some of the new Motorhomes but seemingly plenty of punters willing to part with their cash as there was a lot of free coffee & biscuits going round to customers sitting with their salesmen! Our first show, thought it was ok, just a shame that there's never any secondhand models to look at. Think finally after 2 years of deliberation over pretty much everything we're going for an Autosleeper (with the 2 single couches), probably from year 2000 onwards. Any advice from all you good people most welcome.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I spent about two hours with Eddie Van Bitz and his daughter Lyn, picking his brain and lining him up for some serious supplying and fitting of gear on the MoHo we went up to buy.
:wink:
Daughter Lyn :rofl: How we laughed:clap2: Great effort though Griff but Lyn my wife does all the accounts and wouldn't let me sell you all that stuff for a handful of magic beans and last months "MMM" magazine.

Both Lyn and I loved meeting your Granddaughter, she was charming :moon2:

Eddie::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back