Showers - are they worth the space? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've met a number of people that say they never use them (even some who never use the loo exept in an emergency – someone else copes with the waste, one said). But looking at the lack of storage and worktop space in smaller PVCs, I was thinking you could leave out the shower and use the saved floorspace for another storage unit, perhaps a thin wardrobe. Plus you are not introducing more damp into the van.

I know someone that uses an outside (hang-up type) outside shower on aires - which of course you're not supposed to. We tend to use aires for a few days, then a campsite for the facilities.

A nice shower room on a larger van is attractive. On a smaller one, not so sure. Mind you, any step away from the Elsan toilet we had on our first caravan – euck!

Deleted User
There are a lot of options to use showers at places like service stations, leisure centres etc. There may be a small charge at leisure centres but not expensive.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our PVC has a shower unit in the washroom / loo - the floor is the shower tray. It doesn't take up any more space and provides the option for a shower if required. We haven't used it much but I would prefer to have it than not.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We haven't got one but probably will for one. We have a toilet and it won't take a lot to shift it around to get a shower in.

Ours is Lwb transit so maybe not as small as you were thinking.

We strip wash when we are away but rinsing my hair over the sink is a pita.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The shower base only takes up the same space required if you fit a toilet. My toilet/shower cubicle is only 900mm long so therefore it makes no difference.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Put it this way.. I wouldn't buy a van without a shower..
IMO essential if you want to wild camp .. I can't stand being dirty .. for me a shower isn't an optional extra

In the proverbial nut shell(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do I look like I need a shower............:)
tramp.jpg

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As ScotJimland says,it is a must have,at least you know who has been in there last,as for the room it takes up, some of the "Bathrobes" i have seen on Persons-PC ? going and coming back from various shower blocks,would fill our wardrobe on their own........ "The BATHROBES !!!",not the people DOH !
Tea Bag.

Deleted User
Our PVC has a shower unit in the washroom / loo - the floor is the shower tray. It doesn't take up any more space and provides the option for a shower if required. We haven't used it much but I would prefer to have it than not.
Ours is the same, runs across rear of van. It can also be used outside the van, which is useful for rinsing dogs and wet suits off. :)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
It all depends is off site you want to smell or not, mind you it wouldn't be your problems only those around you. :whistle:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm definitely grateful for the shower on aires, and it also allows you to stay on more basic (ie field with tap) campsites so you can save pennies there.

The solar shower bags are quite handy for free hot water for washing up or for sink washes, especially when put to use in southern European sunshine, where the water comes out hotter than from the tap. I've used one inside the MH shower too, which is a bit slapstick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't shower now ... we much prefer to have a good strip wash or use the occasional facility elsewhere if the opportunity arises. Whilst it's nice to have a shower in the van its a pain in the bum having to mop up afterwards, so we'll stick with getting a good scrub.

As for hair washing, I do it over the kitchen sink - put warm water in the washing up bowl and wet my hair then shampoo to a good lather, then using a jug rinse off ... much easier than trying to do it over the tiddly bathroom sink.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Actually, thinking about it, most of the showers abroad are full of bities, waiting for you to disrobe and display lots of biteable area. One time in Annecy, I'd just had a shower, was drying myself and was intrigued by this tiny little thing that was doing a crab-like dance, round and round in circles. I looked closer at it, went to squash it with my finger, and it just shot off the wall like an unguided missile. But it must have missed me. Though I did avoid the missus for a while, till I was sure I hadn't caught something, if you know what I mean. Oh, the joys of camping!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The resale value of the van might be lower if it does not have have a shower; I get the impression that most people prefer to have the option of a shower in the van, even if they don't use it much.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I didn't get on with the combined bog/shower of the Autocruise Starspirit, far too much faffing about drying everything afterwards :sleep:
A fit for purpose shower cubicle with separate ablushion is the only way!

We have bog starboard side and shower port side (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I didn't get on with the combined bog/shower of the Autocruise Starspirit, far too much faffing about drying everything afterwards :sleep:
A fit for purpose shower cubicle with separate ablushion is the only way!
If you have the space for both. Alternatively, I believe that a combined unit is better than not having a shower.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We don't shower now ... we much prefer to have a good strip wash or use the occasional facility elsewhere if the opportunity arises. Whilst it's nice to have a shower in the van its a pain in the bum having to mop up afterwards, so we'll stick with getting a good scrub.

As for hair washing, I do it over the kitchen sink - put warm water in the washing up bowl and wet my hair then shampoo to a good lather, then using a jug rinse off ... much easier than trying to do it over the tiddly bathroom sink.

We did that when we went camping... basin of hot water and a wash down..

When we got our first caravan with hot water it was sheer luxury having a proper shower.

why you do it by choice when you have a perfectly good shower in the van (unless you are short of water) is hard to fathom.

hair is washed in the shower.. not in a hand basin.

Strip wash.. no thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We did that when we went camping... basin of hot water and a wash down..

When we got our first caravan with hot water it was sheer luxury having a proper shower.

why you do it by choice when you have a perfectly good shower in the van (unless you are short of water) is hard to fathom.

hair is washed in the shower.. not in a hand basin.

Strip wash.. no thanks
Our PVC only has a small water tank so as we wild camp and use aires we'd be forever topping it up if we showered every time we needed to be 'cleaned'! As I said, we do sometimes shower if the opportunity arises, but a proper strip wash is just as good and I hate washing my hair at the same time as showering, much prefer to do it separately.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We were looking at 2 or 3 models in the Exsis range it was the one with the biggest washroom we went for. I would consider a Motorhome without a shower or loo not fit for purpose. When away in the van both of us have a shower in the van every morning & we certainly don't want to use someone else's dirty loo. When on sites still use our own facilities, but out of the last 100 nights in away only probably 2 or 3 of them have been on sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back