domestric electric problem (1 Viewer)

May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi, my Fiat KonTiki L Chassis year 2000 has a problem, on the mains hook up all works perfectly, once unhooked no domestic power either to the lights, water pumps or fridge igniter etc. Domestic and starter batteries aok, just been into garage for a brake and chassis job but they unable to diagnose the problem as they can't get hold of a wiring diagram !! helllppp please,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds like your habitation battery is either duff or switched off, we had exactly the same condition last year when our habitation battery failed, everything runs fine from the charger

good luck

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks, makes sense what you say but battery appears ok, fuse appears ok and I don't think there is any on/off switch. There is the switch on the panel to switch between domestic and starter battery, altering that does not help. I will fit another battery so at least I know that's right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks, makes sense what you say but battery appears ok, fuse appears ok and I don't think there is any on/off switch. There is the switch on the panel to switch between domestic and starter battery, altering that does not help. I will fit another battery so at least I know that's right

If the battery voltage is above 12.5V there is no point just changing it, can you measure it?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
What's actually displayed on the panel?

Can you switch between batteries and see volts when you select view levels.

Have you checked the power unit under the seat next to the fridge is switched on and all fuses ok.

Are the main fuses in the offside storage locker ( lesiure battery area) ok?

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi, switching between batteries shows both in the green zone, there is no seat next to the fridge ! the main electrics appear to be in the wardrobe which is nearside rear of domestic side door. In there which is above the gas heater, there is a 240v domestic control unit, a battery charger, a nest of fuses bottom one is 15amp and there are five above that at 10amp there is a black relay next to that with the number 070799 there are five male terminals and a diagram showing 12v 30amp 86 87a 87 85 30 with lines joining etc. I have actually replaced that but new one is not exact replica.
The leisure battery on my model is situated below the front passenger seat, with 10amp fuse on pos side. The front seat has to come out to remove battery. I have had that off this morning all seems OK also I have power going to switch near domestic door with a brown/blue and brown/green positive and red brown negative, those wire are quite heavy.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
do you have a multimeter? if you do, disconnect the leisure battery and wait 30 minutes before measuring the voltage

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Just downloaded diagram from swift web site! Getting voltage through wiring to the switch by door so battery is OK

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the van is plugged in to the mains hookup, the charger circuit will replace the voltage from the leisure battery

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From your description its identical to our old one.

The charger has an on off switch....cant remember if its on top, side or bottom of the unit, but that wont make any difference to 12v power...only the charge current.

Below the seat next to the wardrobe, close to or even in the wardrobe, there should be a relay, this isolated the hab area when the engine is running.
it may have jammed closed which would isolate all the 12v in the hab permanently.
this can be bypassed by removing and taping up the supply terminal from the ign switch.(85 or 86) the other goes to earth.
if that fails the relay will most likely be jammed or burnt closed try disconnecting the wires at terminals 87a and 30 then connect the two wires together....that bypasses the relay altogether and 12v will be available all the time, engine on or not.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the relay you replaced is the one i said then the new one MUST have the 87A terminal.
with the engine off the relay is normally closed across 30 and 87A, start the engine and the circuit is broken.
try moving the wire from 87A to 87.....87 is closed WITH power and is the one which may be burnt/jammed closed, 87A is closed WITHOUT power

if that isnt the problem it wont cause any harm, but if it is then all should work ok.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sorry different Kontiki version to mine if you have a circuit diagram and a meter you should be able to work it out.

Good luck

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
will try all suggestions. Looking at wiring diagram with mag glass does not look as if it will help me ID all the bits under the bonnet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back