Problems with Card Reader (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Having recently replaced my hard drive with a brand new one and installed XP Pro from fresh, for some reason i'm having problems offloading photos off my USB Card Reader.

It's one of those multi card readers that take CF cards and Memory sticks, both types of which i use.

When i open the files > Select all > Move to folder....i maybe get a couple off before the damn thing crashes and i have to go through the whole process again.

I've also tried offloading from the sticks/cards via ACDSee but that didn't make much difference either.

Only way i can get them off is one at a time....which makes it a bloody long job if i've shot off 50-100 photos!

Tried using different usb ports on my pc but that also hasn't solved it. Though its just a cheap reader off eBay, i never had this problem before until now.

Any ideas anyone????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had the same problem a few months back, but reformatting the hard drive solved it ..

have you tried re installing the reader's driver ?

sorry can't offer any other advice.. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Having recently replaced my hard drive with a brand new one and installed XP Pro from fresh, for some reason i'm having problems offloading photos off my USB Card Reader.

It's one of those multi card readers that take CF cards and Memory sticks, both types of which i use.

When i open the files > Select all > Move to folder....i maybe get a couple off before the damn thing crashes and i have to go through the whole process again.

I've also tried offloading from the sticks/cards via ACDSee but that didn't make much difference either.

Only way i can get them off is one at a time....which makes it a bloody long job if i've shot off 50-100 photos!

Tried using different usb ports on my pc but that also hasn't solved it. Though its just a cheap reader off eBay, i never had this problem before until now.

Any ideas anyone????
Software drivers for the card reader must be available from the manufacturer of your machine rather than a plug and play driver.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi Bulletguy, I use similar card reader from 7day shop.com and installed Adobe photoshop album starter edition 3.2 and it just does everything for me if I have a bulk amount to download. Download free from here Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2
It may get you over your problems for the time being. :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Has this happened since the new drive was installed ?
Have you tried the card reader in another pc ?

If the card reader works in another pc then there could be usb issue, first remove all other usb devices and try again.

You could try removing all usb devices under usb controllers.

then rebooting ,letting windows reassign devices.USB Controller section
3. Right click and Uninstall all of the listed USB devices
Also
Go to Start>> Right click My Computer>> Manage>> Device Manager
expand universal serial bus controllers

and check for any yellow exclamation marks ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Have you been removing the memory with out unmounting it?

If so you may have to use the camera to read it into the computer via a usb cable, when you have done this and the photo's are safely on the computer then use the camera to reformat the memory to stop it happening again

Doug...

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I had the same problem a few months back, but reformatting the hard drive solved it ..

have you tried re installing the reader's driver ?

sorry can't offer any other advice.. :Sad:
Software drivers for the card reader must be available from the manufacturer of your machine rather than a plug and play driver.
Afraid thats all it is.....PnP. No software or driver came with it, just the reader.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have you been removing the memory with out unmounting it?

If so you may have to use the camera to read it into the computer via a usb cable, when you have done this and the photo's are safely on the computer then use the camera to reformat the memory to stop it happening again

Doug...
Not quite sure what you mean by "unmounting" doug, but i've never used the camera to read direct into pc or for that matter ever had to reformat either stick or cf card.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi Bulletguy, I use similar card reader from 7day shop.com and installed Adobe photoshop album starter edition 3.2 and it just does everything for me if I have a bulk amount to download. Download free from here Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2
It may get you over your problems for the time being. :thumb:
I'll have a look and give this a go Dylan.....thanks.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Has this happened since the new drive was installed ?
Have you tried the card reader in another pc ?

If the card reader works in another pc then there could be usb issue, first remove all other usb devices and try again.

You could try removing all usb devices under usb controllers.

then rebooting ,letting windows reassign devices.USB Controller section
3. Right click and Uninstall all of the listed USB devices
Also
Go to Start>> Right click My Computer>> Manage>> Device Manager
expand universal serial bus controllers

and check for any yellow exclamation marks ?

Will have a look at this sinbad.......thanks.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Not quite sure what you mean by "unmounting" doug, but i've never used the camera to read direct into pc or for that matter ever had to reformat either stick or cf card.

Ok, on the bottom left you see a collection of icons (I assum XP, Vista may be different), you may need to key the < symbol in a blue circle. You are looking for a green arrow pointing left and down. But your curser on that icon and it will say "Safely remove hardware" with your curser on that Icon press you right key, follow the suggestions.

This will unmount the removable memory/hardware and in so doing stop accidental corruption of the memory.

Doug...

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Ok, on the bottom left you see a collection of icons (I assum XP, Vista may be different), you may need to key the < symbol in a blue circle. You are looking for a green arrow pointing left and down. But your curser on that icon and it will say "Safely remove hardware" with your curser on that Icon press you right key, follow the suggestions.

This will unmount the removable memory/hardware and in so doing stop accidental corruption of the memory.

Doug...

Should that be Bottom Right?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back