replacing a cv boot (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Think I might have to replace a cv boot on my van having never done one on a fiat I suppose I will have to remove the hub.

so just wondering if it would be worth changing the wheal baring at the same time as I have two new ones.
I got for my last van but got away with putting them in.
BILL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
While its in bits Bill, and you have the bearings (check they are correct for your van first) it wont hurt and could save having to strip it again later.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
While its in bits Bill, and you have the bearings (check they are correct for your van first) it wont hurt and could save having to strip it again later.
think that's the way to go john thay are the right ones fom my van
thank for the reply @pappajohn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Have a really good look at the cv joint, it is usually best to change the whole shaft rather than just the boot as any boot failure will have allowed dirt and contamination into the joint.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have a really good look at the cv joint, it is usually best to change the whole shaft rather than just the boot as any boot failure will have allowed dirt and contamination into the joint.
it is just got sum cracking it has not gone completely

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would just get a cv joint kit

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Last CV boot I did, cut it down the middle, (top to bottom), with a craft knife blade, pulled off the old one, and cleaned everything up. Freed the jubilee clips, put the new one around the shaft, and joined both cut sides with superglue. Replaced the clips. Quick and fast if your short on time. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last CV boot I did, cut it down the middle, (top to bottom), with a craft knife blade, pulled off the old one, and cleaned everything up. Freed the jubilee clips, put the new one around the shaft, and joined both cut sides with superglue. Replaced the clips. Quick and fast if your short on time. :)
Could buy universal kits the same as that a few years ago....slit up one side, place over joint and superglue together.
if you were lucky it would still be there next day.....biggest load of junk ever.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have used the universal ones before but never had on last Moore than six months before I had to replace it
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
got lodes of time toot's sooner it was right for a trubile free spring and summer it will only tak two or three hrs
bill

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can't do the cut down on the Fiat even if you wanted to as , & I assume Bill's would be same as mine, the outer end of the cv boot where the metal band goes has to be assembled before the hub is put on as it then covers he end of the rubber gaiter.:( Ask me how I know ? :LOL:Hit a pothole in North Devon whilst over last year & when I checked it had dislodged the whole outer end & band. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back