12volt electics swift kontki 669 (1 Viewer)

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
When I. Start engine all habitaction and any 12 volt accessories turn off is this normal if so can I change it to run with 12 on

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Same on the auto trail although fridge only works on 12v when engine started.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Hope not never had it on my yank or the last 4 german vans also have to find somewhere to put the spare wheel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I. Start engine all habitaction and any 12 volt accessories turn off is this normal if so can I change it to run with 12 on

it could be changed by taking the cutout relay out of circuit but why would you want to ?

it does it for a reason and i think the reason is the voltages produced from the alternator CAN be a lot higher (15/16v at times) than some equipment can tolerate.

your fridge is just a heating element so can withstand the higher voltages, within reason but if the hab 12v control panel /heater/boiler has a PCB it WILL blow it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its done on UK built motorhomes to remove the possibilty of electro magnetic interference affecting safety critical systems such as ABS, engine management etc. In truth it is not necessary, evidenced by almost no mainland European motorhome manufacturer bothering about it. There is no legislation that requires it to be done this way, either road traffic or otherwise but I think there is some sort of directive somewhere.

D.

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
What do I need to do to run my interior lights and tv in the back of the van so the kids can watch a DVD on the move or any company near runcorn Cheshire to sort for me

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What do I need to do to run my interior lights and tv in the back of the van so the kids can watch a DVD on the move or any company near runcorn Cheshire to sort for me

This thread has been done once or twice on MHF. It involves removing a single wire that senses the ignition is on, but I don't know which wire.

There was an "engineer" on MHF who always said "it's because of EMC regulations" so being 99.99% sure it wasn't I always asked "Can you quote which one". He never did.

Basically the EMC regulations which run to thousands of pages say "your product must not emit electrical radiation that interferes with other equipment and your product should reject interference". It's belt and braces, in theory you don't need both halves.

You will recall the same panic in hospitals, covered by the same EMC regs. Strange that at the same time mega expensive phones were installed on the wards. Now, all of a sudden phones can be used in hospitals.

Unfortunately I can think of one tiny gotcha, if something fell over on the move, shorted a 12V wire and caused a fire ( now that is tiny ) what would your insurers do ?

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
does any one know what wire or relay i need to disconnect to run my 12v habitation on the move as dont want to put a new feed in for tvs lights etc

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sorry cant help with the wire bit ;but why not make a separate circuit to include tv/light direct from the habitation battery( make sure ther is a suitable fuse).::bigsmile:

Regards

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was under the impression that the power cut of was to prevent use of the heating system on the move
Other EU countrys allow heating on the move, and heaters had to be certified as safe to do that, here in the UK for whatever reason in the majority of cases there not:RollEyes:
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
does any one know what wire or relay i need to disconnect to run my 12v habitation on the move as dont want to put a new feed in for tvs lights etc

Hi,

Had a word with Glenn our service manager and he does not recommend a DIY job, it is not a simple matter of removing a wire or relay, it is a rewire jobby and one has to be careful as the control panel doe not like it! Could cause a spike and blow it.

If you want to know more, your welcome to give him a call

Regards

Peter

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
thanks Pete for the life of me cant understand why its wired this way if a european van doest req it why do British vans whilst traveling kids like tv on lights on to draw etc don't want a diy job new van first British van so far very impressed apart from silly wiring
many thanks

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
The EMC regulation (Electromagnetic compatability) is a european standard and a european directive which all touring caravan and motorhome manufacturers have to comply with. This applies across europe including France and Germany, any manufacturer that chooses not to comply does so at their own risk. This standard was published in 2000. All Swift Group products comply with this standard.

This standard is designed to isolate appliances and circuits to prevent any potential interference with the base vehicle and its components. Only the fridge, en-heater and some lighting components are homolgated to the EMC regulation.

Regards
Andy

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Wireing

Hi,i have a bessie e769.
The light above the hab door does work while travelling,has does the blown heating and water heater.
For the rear tv to work i wired a couple of 12v sockets direct to hab battery with an inline fuse.I ran wires along the overhead lockers and behind control panel,then through to microwave cupboard .fitted socket under microwave in a little recess,very neat & you would never know it was there.
Got all the bits from halfords,fairly easy to do and approx 1 to 2 hours.
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

Could cause a spike and blow it.

exactly what i said in a previous post :thumb:

The EMC regulation (Electromagnetic compatability) is a european standard and a european directive which all touring caravan and motorhome manufacturers have to comply with. This applies across europe including France and Germany, any manufacturer that chooses not to comply does so at their own risk. This standard was published in 2000. All Swift Group products comply with this standard.

This standard is designed to isolate appliances and circuits to prevent any potential interference with the base vehicle and its components. Only the fridge, en-heater and some lighting components are homolgated to the EMC regulation.

Regards
Andy

straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

if the convertors do it ,it must be for a reason. :Doh:

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Thanks I think the best thing to do is just wire tv and a light seperate that way keep warranty apart from that happy with it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any manufacturer that chooses not to comply does so at their own risk. Andy

Rubbish.

CE marking is not optional. If any goods are put into service not complying with all the appropriate regulations they would jump on the manufacturers from a great height.

Add to that, a German would rather pickle his own testes in concentrated sulphuric acid than not comply with the regulations.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks I think the best thing to do is just wire tv and a light seperate that way keep warranty apart from that happy with it

As i said previously saves all the agro and can be removed easily ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Thanks brian I couldn't see the European makers leaving them selves wide open to a possible claim my mate has a European but was impressed with the kontki but can't get his head round the electric side will have to find a way a way round it,it's so so frustrating havin to use inverter to power tv:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks brian I couldn't see the European makers leaving them selves wide open to a possible claim my mate has a European but was impressed with the kontki but can't get his head round the electric side will have to find a way a way round it,it's so so frustrating havin to use inverter to power tv:Doh:

We have a little Burstner - there is no such nonsense on this.

Goggle for UK hits on:

habitation 5 pin changeover relay

All will be revieled :)

Inverter for a TV ? Is the TV supplied with a car power lead ? If so it's stating, effectively, that it can cope with automotive voltages ( which are nothing like a nice tidy 12V ).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back