Some motorhomers do take the pee (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are down in the Algarve for the winter and on a small aire we have seen motorhomers paying for pitch only and sneeking out after dark plugging in. We are now on a larger site and just walking round with the dog I can see four vans/motorhomes with two cables plugged in and there maybe others. the site has better than 10 amp but they seem to persist in using an extra cable, sometimes in an impossible attempt to heat their awnings.
They may just not realise that sooner or later the price will have to reflect the usage and we will all suffer.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I often have 2 cables and pay for them, to enjoy the comfort of inocence, I only thought about the site staff so in future I shall put up a sign, both cables paid for! But I can understand your disgust, and of course the outcome is locked connection cabinets and all the grief when the trip goes..... at midnight!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We are down in the Algarve for the winter and on a small aire we have seen motorhomers paying for pitch only and sneeking out after dark plugging in. We are now on a larger site and just walking round with the dog I can see four vans/motorhomes with two cables plugged in and there maybe others. the site has better than 10 amp but they seem to persist in using an extra cable, sometimes in an impossible attempt to heat their awnings.
They may just not realise that sooner or later the price will have to reflect the usage and we will all suffer.

Me , I would have reported them at a drop of hat , why should they defraud the owners just because there to tight fisted to pay for the electric Hook Up .
Its just theft pure and simple .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
What is it about some motorhomers that they will spend maybe £50,000 or more purchasing their MH and any expenditure beyond that is out of the question.
Something that happens down here in Cornwall (and elsewhere presumably) is that some laybys are permanently occupied by motorhomes and camper vans throughout the Summer.
I very often see the same vehicles in the same laybys for two or three weeks at a time. Grey waste is often allowed to run from the vehicles and sometimes, when the holiday is over, the supermarket bag containing the rubbish is just thrown out.
Although I regularly use CC sites I completely understand that they are not to everybodys liking. There is an abundance of CL's in this country, and I know of several places in Cornwall where farmers openly invite wild camping.
I really wish that the pond-life few would stop giving the rest of us a bad name.
Stef.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
What is it about some motorhomers that they will spend maybe £50,000 or more purchasing their MH and any expenditure beyond that is out of the question.
Something that happens down here in Cornwall (and elsewhere presumably) is that some laybys are permanently occupied by motorhomes and camper vans throughout the Summer.
I very often see the same vehicles in the same laybys for two or three weeks at a time. Grey waste is often allowed to run from the vehicles and sometimes, when the holiday is over, the supermarket bag containing the rubbish is just thrown out.
Although I regularly use CC sites I completely understand that they are not to everybodys liking. There is an abundance of CL's in this country, and I know of several places in Cornwall where farmers openly invite wild camping.
I really wish that the pond-life few would stop giving the rest of us a bad name.
Stef.

I fairly regularly (2-3 times a year) head off to Cornwall after work on a Friday. It is impossible to get a site to allow me access at the sorts of times I will arrive and so laybys are the only option. I agree about the waste issues but I and I'm sure most others , clear up after myself and take all my waste home with me. The exception being if I go on a site for the Saturday night I will use their bins to have a clear out. My grey waste can't be emptied as it is a removable tank inside so waits until I get home or in a site.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I fairly regularly (2-3 times a year) head off to Cornwall after work on a Friday. It is impossible to get a site to allow me access at the sorts of times I will arrive and so laybys are the only option.

I'm certainly not having a pop at people like you. Let's face it, most of us have done it after a long drive.
Stef.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On Mimizan Plage aire, which has a 16A EHU , we used to watch vans leaving before the Municipal Police came around at around 9am to check the tickets on the windscreens..

Come lunchtime they all crept back in again.. and I have to add, it wasn't Brit vans.. mostly French .. some even left level ramps in place to reserve the bay ..

down the years have seen all sorts of tactics employed to cheat site owners..

I've witnessed vans coming in to empty and fill up , even plug in to an EHU and charge up or do some laundry then leave the same day..

nothing surprises me now, but never fails to disgust ..

as said the honest people will end up paying for the freeloaders who thieve

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
the pond-life few would stop giving the rest of us a bad name

I don't think that just because a motorhomer does something bad, people think all motorhomers do the same...

This "giving the rest of us a bad name" is illogical.

I have seen house dwellers who leave piles of rubbish in their front gardens but I don't think that gives the rest of the house dwellers "a bad name"!

Frankly people who hang out in motorhomes (caravans to normal people) don't exactly have a brilliant "name" in the minds of most people anyway!

I also think assuming that some one who has a £50,000 motorhome is rich might just be off the mark.

So Alan, you think I should disconnect my hookup lead from this lamp post then? :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have used the washing machines on a campsite when not staying there - after asking at the office first and paying for the privilege. :)

I would never expect to use facilities for free and even if told to go ahead (eg for water) I would ask if they had a charity box or similar. In this life nothing is really free, except real friendship and laughter.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't like sites and try to avoid them would rather use Aires or wild but don't free load either, always careful about disposing of waste carefully & will always pay for services when needed. I don't see anything particularly wrong with stopping at an that has free services to service when traveling through the area as we will be spending money in the area if not overnighting at that particular Aire.

As for sneaking out at night to plug into electric your not paying for, that's just taking the p*** and spoiling it for everyone else, unplug them and cut the plugs off their leads.
The Aire on the cliffs at Boulogne is one where most of the French do a runner before 8:30 am when the the guy comes round to collect €5.50.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We don't like sites and try to avoid them would rather use Aires or wild but don't free load either, always careful about disposing of waste carefully & will always pay for services when needed. I don't see anything particularly wrong with stopping at an that has free services to service when traveling through the area as we will be spending money in the area if not overnighting at that particular Aire.

As for sneaking out at night to plug into electric your not paying for, that's just taking the p*** and spoiling it for everyone else, unplug them and cut the plugs off their leads.
The Aire on the cliffs at Boulogne is one where most of the French do a runner before 8:30 am when the the guy comes round to collect €5.50.

See I can understand why people have issues paying £20-30 a night for a site in the UK but to cheat over a fiver is just wrong..

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Used to regularly watch the French sneaking off the 'beach' aire at Berck sur Mer time after time. Cheeky buggers just moved to the carpark next door and then came back after the girl had been.

We told her - time after time. Last time we were there it was a bloke and a girl - and they charged the people on the carpark too! Or at least tried to, no idea if they succeeded, possibly they just told them they'd noted their reg numbers and had better not see em there again or something - not close enough to hear.

We were also approached by a French motorhomer there to sign his petition to the Council to stop charging at all 'because it has always been and still should be, free'. We declined ........

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
See I can understand why people have issues paying £20-30 a night for a site in the UK but to cheat over a fiver is just wrong..

A fiver to one man can mean more than £30 does to another.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
A fiver to one man can mean more than £30 does to another.

I agree.. but compared to the other costs of MH ownership it's small fry even to those of us that drive older vans and do all our own maintenance

Deleted User
We used quite a few of the free Aires last year, no electric but usually water for a charge and free black & grey waste. We always try to buy something in the local area, but a couple of occasions could find nothing open, felt really guilty not spending anything focally :(

Lin

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
That's easy ScotJimland,, one into the van, the other into the awning for heater, kettle, television all off multi socket. got to think outside the box sometimes. :sneaky:(n)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree.. but compared to the other costs of MH ownership it's small fry even to those of us that drive older vans and do all our own maintenance

As a motorhomer of several decades who is fully aware of the costs involved, a fiver is not "small fry" to me...

If you are a holiday motorhomer, only staying a weekend or two, then €5 might not be much but...

€5×365 = €1,825.

€1,825 buys a top of the range smart phone, lots of Double Whoppers (or Gigantes in Burger Ranch) and many, many pies.

This week I have saved €17.50 being at Silves rather than at the Praia da Rocha marina park up. That allows me two, four course meals at the Casa Velha Restaurant and have change.

Next week I will stay here rather than go to the Cabanas camp and save over €70. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back