LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Im going to replace my batteries this week but cant answer a question that I keep asking my self.

So bearing in mind I know everything :winky:
why do people choose two batteries over one?

For example; you can buy a Banner battery with 230ah for £249.99 delivered
or 2 115's for £270 delivered....

Now bearing in mind the all things being equal in terms of weight and size being able to fit one of the bigger batteries in, is there a reason for this that I don't know?

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Paul i know this is not the answer to your question, but i have just replaced both batteries on my moho. After a lot of searching i looked on A&N caravan services north wales and they are suggesting the new technology batteries from BOSCH which have been designed for the stop/start market. I hope i am right in choosing these but i thought if experts like A&N were recommending them i would give it a go. I got mine from Euro car parts,110 amps and less than £93.00 each. Food for thought:winky:.I am sure you will keep us informed and we can have a chat nekt week:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Paul i know this is not the answer to your question, but i have just replaced both batteries on my moho. After a lot of searching i looked on A&N caravan services north wales and they are suggesting the new technology batteries from BOSCH which have been designed for the stop/start market. I hope i am right in choosing these but i thought if experts like A&N were recommending them i would give it a go. I got mine from Euro car parts,110 amps and less than £93.00 each. Food for thought:winky:.I am sure you will keep us informed and we can have a chat nekt week:thumb:

too late mate, I will be running them by next week... I read that too, was just waiting for some fool to give them a try so I wouldn't be alone..... If it gets dark and cold, we will nip round to Daryls :ROFLMAO:

Have you got a contact details for them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
A&N caravan services
Euro car parts both on internet. If you do decide to go for them they are very competitive and do not like to miss a deal. When i rang them they first quoted me £110.00 plus vat but i told them i could get them from andrew page for £95.00 all in and they beat the price and they delivered them same day. Result:thumb:

Jaytee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2014
Near Filey North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcombe
Exp
Only a year but camping and Caravanning for 50 years.
Have you a link for the Bosch stop start batts please? They sound a tad interesting

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you check on the Bosch website for batteries suitable for leisure use they say normal lead acid not start/stop car batteries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Look at it like this Paul.

You have one large battery and it fails suddenly for any reason......you buy another £250 battery.
Meanwhile if off hookup you have no 12v.

Two batteries and one fails you only buy a £135 battery and you still have one to rely on until you can get a replacement.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Your question is similar to one I asked recently on the subject of solar panels. Go for one big one or two smaller ones?
I went along with the observations made by many. If you have only one and it develops a fault you may be vulnerable. The benefit of having two is that you will have some back-up if one is faulty.
Stef.

Just seen that papajohn beat me to it!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I spoke to Varta technical dept a couple of months ago as, having read the A&N point of view, I was considering buying the Bosch or Varta Silver Dynamic equivalent stop-start batteries next time. Varta said that whilst they were delighted that their batteries were being commented on positively, they would not recommend the Silver Dynamic for use as a habitation battery in a motorhome. Whilst others might recommend, it was they, Varta, who had to honour their warranties and so they would only suggest their leisure range. AGM for those with suitable charging systems (few motorhomes have this) or the Professional Dual-Purpose range for others - these are designated with the model number LFDXX according to Ah capacity.
http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/leisure/

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The one A&N recommend is not the Bosch one for stop/start that is the Bosch AGM which are around £150/£160.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The one A&N recommend is not the Bosch one for stop/start that is the Bosch AGM which are around £150/£160.

Indeed, to clarify my previous post, A&N specifically advise AGAINST AGM batteries for use with most motorhome chargers. They do, however, refer to the plate technology that has been developed for stop-start batteries and is used in the Bosch S5 and Varta Silver Dynamic; the former is not an AGM battery whilst the latter is available in AGM and flooded formats. Neither the S5 nor the Varta Silver Dynamic (flooded) are categorised as stop-start by the manufacturers.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
for the same sort of money you could have two six volt trojans 240ah but check they will fit your space Broken Link Removed

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Battery Megastore; just off M5 J9. Bought quite a few Varta LDFxx for friends/family/myself there. Bought LDF90 there on Monday,£81.

Leisure type batteries not fit for motorhome as alternator slowly destroys them. Okay if on mains hook-up all the time like a caravan but if you travel a fair bit you need a more robust battery such as the marine/dual purpose battery like the Varta/Bosch LDF range.

The engine alternator is quite a brutal charging device; made this mistake having bought two new 110Ah Lucas Leisure batteries and fried them in a year of travelling; now replaced with a single LDF230.

Cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back