Ruddy rattles! (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Just been doing some rattle sorting. Okay all doors and cupboards sorted with small strips of self-adhesive draught excluder - excellent. BUT the outside opening gas locker a real problem with loads of play so had a look at the key-locking bits. The pics below
DSCF3512crop.JPG

DSCF3508crop.JPG

show the locking assembly before and after. The original assembly shows the swivel arm held between 2 locking washers then the locking 21mm nut. I eventually found after several trials that by re-assembling both locking washers first then reversing the locking arm followed by the locking nut the gas locker door fitted snugly but obviously still retained the 2 x 50mm square gas escape outlets.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Ha, ha!:LOL: I just caught sight of your thread title and had to laugh.......my husband is obsessed with rattles. I have nominated myself as "Chief Rattle Eradicator" and every time we set off I hope and pray there are no rattles from the back......

We are only concerned with rattles inside and our main rattles were plate rack, gas fire and internal blinds. Thankfully most are now sorted.....but glad to know it's not just us that are bothered with them. Bill has even put slim pieces of foam around the bathroom door as there was a bit of movement in that.

Our conversations whilst travelling go something like......"Is that something rattling? Can you check where it's coming from"......I usually walk up the van and have a listen:RollEyes: I pretend I can't hear anything and say, "Nope, it's your imagination, now concentrate on the road ahead"!:laughing:

Margaret:Smile:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I hate rattles in the car or the MH.. the worst kind are the ones from the back seats in the car.. usually accompanied by squeeling, gerroffs and DAAaaaaaddddddd

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ours rattles but it seems to be all over I am not sure what to do with the blinds etc or the electric bed. However once on a straight non bumpy road it all quietness down. Also I find fitting the noisy people in the back seats with headphones and individual tablets sorts them out

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Most of our rattles seem to come from the concertina blinds & it doesn't seem to matter much if they are up or down.

Any good ideas? Tea towels seem to sort all the other problems, but I must admit, I haven't tried stuffing the blinds with them! :unsure:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've just read all these out to Bill (he didn't realise that I had replied above::bigsmile:).......with regards to the radio having a loud button, yes, I like it loud......but he does the driving and doesn't like the radio loud:whistle2:

I've just read out vin0114's post about the gas bottle locker rattling........here's the reply:- "Ah, right, see that's what I heard recently......it sounded like it was coming from the gas locker door"!:doh:

I'm in charge of the "internal PDC" and hubby is in charge of the "external PDC".........(pre-departure check):wink:

Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Most of our rattles seem to come from the concertina blinds & it doesn't seem to matter much if they are up or down.

Any good ideas? Tea towels seem to sort all the other problems, but I must admit, I haven't tried stuffing the blinds with them! :unsure:

We haven't found anything to solve the rattling blinds yet......doubt if we ever will, we always travel with ours down. But we also get a bit of "wind rush" through the big roof light as well, especially if it's quite windy. It appears that UK van manufacturers don't put a seal around that area......or so we were told.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yer but they still wine with " are we nearly there":LOL:

No they've moved out long ago(y) Our son is married and daughter is getting married next year:doh:..........which reminds us, saving up for next year's wedding will curtail our travelling plans:crying:

It's now me that says, "Are we nearly there yet"?

Margaret::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
But we also get a bit of "wind rush" through the big roof light as well, especially if it's quite windy. It appears that UK van manufacturers don't put a seal around that area......or so we were told.
Yes, I'd heard that too. Ours is a German conversion, so I think it's sealed ok. It does seem pretty airtight when closed. There is still some wind noise but it doesn't really get intrusive until over 60mph. I expect it's louder if you are sitting in the back, but I'm always driving. I did wonder about fitting one of those wind deflectors in front of it - Johns Cross have them for sale, but I think they are only available in white, so I'd have to faff about painting it - it would look silly on our van in white.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Not the solution to every rattle, but 15" neoprene laptop sleeves from the pound shop are brilliant for putting plates, the grill pan, oven racks and other rattly abominations in to quietness them in transit. This tip won me the tip of the month prize in MMM last August.........(still the only thing I have won that wasn't dependent upon the answer to a stupid question like "what colour is the sky?").

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes, I'd heard that too. Ours is a German conversion, so I think it's sealed ok. It does seem pretty airtight when closed. There is still some wind noise but it doesn't really get intrusive until over 60mph. I expect it's louder if you are sitting in the back, but I'm always driving. I did wonder about fitting one of those wind deflectors in front of it - Johns Cross have them for sale, but I think they are only available in white, so I'd have to faff about painting it - it would look silly on our van in white.

To be honest, the only time we've noticed the wind noise was when travelling back over the A66 recently in a head wind. We sometimes get a "whine" from the sliding side window, but that's down to the wind being forced through when it's quite strong.

I think we're winning the war on the rattles(y) The latest culprit turned out to be two bottles of Hobgoblin that were "chinking" together ......... my fault, nothing had been wedged between them before we set off.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I buy bubblewrap by the 50 metre roll for business use, so that comes in handy for lots of things. The "non-slip" Grip Mat that you can buy for around a £1 or so in the pound shops is good stuff...... but don't get the one in Wilkinsons, it's expensive at £4 :(Broken Link Removed

They've even mentioned it's useful on motorhome shelves(y)

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks for all the great replies, I was beginning to think it was just me being paranoid. I like the bubblewrap idea and on the rattling Hobgoblins problem you've obviously not stored enough of them. We returned from France a couple of years ago with 100+ bottles of very nice wine - bedding out and wine in - not a rattle to be heard:)but that was in an Autocruise with sensible tyre pressures but that's another issue to be sortedo_O

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
The "non-slip" Grip Mat that you can buy for around a £1 or so in the pound shops is good stuff......
It is indeed. Got that everywhere. All lockers that have 'hard' stuff in them are lined with it, as are all the kitchen drawers.

Glasses & glass bottles are usually ok with just a sheet of kitchen roll between them.

If we could only sort those blasted blinds, peace would reign. Either that or restrict our touring to newly resurfaced motorways. It's so lovely & peaceful when you hit a smooth stretch of tarmac. :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Not the solution to every rattle, but 15" neoprene laptop sleeves from the pound shop are brilliant for putting plates, the grill pan, oven racks and other rattly abominations in to quietness them in transit. This tip won me the tip of the month prize in MMM last August.........(still the only thing I have won that wasn't dependent upon the answer to a stupid question like "what colour is the sky?").
Oh was that you? Read your brilliant tip and immediately went out and bought 2. Great idea.(y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just been doing some rattle sorting. Okay all doors and cupboards sorted with small strips of self-adhesive draught excluder - excellent. BUT the outside opening gas locker a real problem with loads of play so had a look at the key-locking bits. The pics below
View attachment 54658

View attachment 54659
show the locking assembly before and after. The original assembly shows the swivel arm held between 2 locking washers then the locking 21mm nut. I eventually found after several trials that by re-assembling both locking washers first then reversing the locking arm followed by the locking nut the gas locker door fitted snugly but obviously still retained the 2 x 50mm square gas escape outlets.
I notice you have both lock washers are under the arm, you may want to put some thread locking compound on the nut because it will come undone.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
I notice you have both lock washers are under the arm, you may want to put some thread locking compound on the nut because it will come undone.
Thanks, already in hand but hunting for similar locking washers to finish the job.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
(y)(y)(y)A&E is quite busy at night isn't it......

Anyway, the swelling on my jaw should go down in a few days...

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for a top idea! A 17" neoprene laptop sleeve from Fleabay has proven to be perfect to put our grillpan and oven shelf in, stop the damn things from rattling so much! It sits nicely on the diagonal inside the oven.

Now just need to find a way to stop the glass lid on the cooker top from rattling, a tea towel works OK but only when I remember to actually put one in *before* we set off......

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Thank you for a top idea! A 17" neoprene laptop sleeve from Fleabay has proven to be perfect to put our grillpan and oven shelf in, stop the damn things from rattling so much! It sits nicely on the diagonal inside the oven.

Now just need to find a way to stop the glass lid on the cooker top from rattling, a tea towel works OK but only when I remember to actually put one in *before* we set off......
34" laptop sleeve? If they don't do them they should!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back