sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I cannot find the thread that had a post about using celotex for jack pads!!! Anyway thought I would test it and went to local Travis Perkins and their Celotex sheets are delivered with Celotex cut offs as chocks on the pallets, so 2 great chunks for free. Now what glue to use?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont understand.

It appears to be expanded foam insulation board which cant stand the weigh you would be imposing.

Or am i missing something ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sheet of ply top and bottom and bobs yer whatsit apparently,not tried it myself.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will need pretty substantial ply as the jack foot is relatively small and will exert a fair bit of pressure over a small area and the unprotected foam is only suitable for light foot traffic.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will need pretty substantial ply as the jack foot is relatively small and will exert a fair bit of pressure over a small area and the unprotected foam is only suitable for light foot traffic.
I guess it will still be lighter thanwooden blocks though

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael

Think it was Robin on N+B forum.

Gulp that explains why I could not find it! Thanks.

Well as you will see I got the wrong forum, but Robin put 100mm Celotex under his jacks for something like 3 weeks without even any indentation. If you look up this stuff and if get the XPS version it has very high compression characteristics. The poster was going to glue 15mm ply to each side for a durable lightweight 4 inch pad. I have 2 chunks and was goint to see how it works but with 1.5mm or 2.0mm aluminium plate..

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
if you are, so am I John

@funflair why would you go to all that bother when you can simply use an off-cut of decking plank or similar .. ?
Well sort of, 100mm plus of lift at say 250mm square of wood = heavy pad!! but celotex is featherweight so you could have 4 off 100mm chocks in celotex for the weight of one in wood I suspect. Thats the plan.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If these are for use under self leveling hydraulic jacks, I'd be very interested too.

somtimes you need a bit of height under the jacks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm still not seeing the idea..

why would you need or want a jacking pad 100mm / 4 inches high ?

I had jack pads on a van that were made of plastic and they were permanently attached to the foot of the jack..

like this
Broken Link Removed
You need a bit of extra lift if the ground is on quite a slope and the stroke of your hydraulic jacks is not enough to level, I just use some 2"x2" screwed together at 0-90 deg to make a pad about 3 1/2 inch thick.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

I had jack pads on a van that were made of plastic and they were permanently attached to the foot of the jack..

like this
Broken Link Removed
Jim, these plastic jobs are not for circular E&P or Goldschmitt hydraulic jacks I suspect, and as Martin has said there are occassions where the gradient is beyond the ability of leveling systems. Not often, so getting the lightest pads seems the best route. My previous RV had only air suspension leveling which at Bella Vista for example was inadequate, and i was looking for 4-8 inches of extra lift, so having some pads that give you another 4 inches lift and are not a huge extra weight seems a good idea, well for me anyway. This Celotex idea seems well worth exploring.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

like this
Broken Link Removed
Cross purposes here i think Jim.

These are for levelling jacks, yours (pictured) are for corner steadies....never to be used for jacking level.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cross purposes here i think Jim.

These are for levelling jacks, yours (pictured) are for corner steadies....never to be used for jacking level.

Indeed not..

clearly I got the wrong end of the stick.. . I thought the OP was talking about corner steadies (sometimes incorrectly called jacks )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back