Ooh it makes me mad - DEFRA and the EU (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
So DEFRA commissioned a risk assessment on changing from the old Pet passport scheme to the accommodate the EU harmonisation.

and the report was published in November 2010...

"7.8.2Treatment

Treatment is using a one-off dose of a suitable anthelmintic, such as praziquantel or episantrel. This drug is proven safe, effective and cheap. There are few if any reports of drug resistance or adverse side effects. However, it is preferable that the drug is administered by a vet as the pet passport can then be countersigned and there is less risk of treatment being unsuccessfully administered"

But when the legislation was changed to meet EU harmonisation in July 2011 it became...

"Article 7. 2. The treatment provided for in paragraph 1 shall be administered by a veterinarian"

I don't know about you but I know when and if my dog has taken a tablet and I hate paying 120 Euros for someone to stamp a piece of paper!!!

If you can legislate to make it compulsory for a vet to administer a drug surely you can also fix the price of that work?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't know about you but I know when and if my dog has taken a tablet and I hate paying 120 Euros for someone to stamp a piece of paper!!!
[\QUOTE]

Don't know where you've been going but we've never paid even close to that for 2 dogs! I think the most was €93 for the two at lunchtime on New Years Eve when the vet was trying to close.

And if it wasn't compulsory for a vet to do it plenty of people wouldn't bother at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We pay around 26€ at two of our chosen vets. That is for both dogs and not each. We use Forges les Eaux if that side of France or Bergues if that side of France. Both vets charge one fee for both dogs. We have been to others but they charge a lot more. We provide our own Milbemax worming treatment.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The amount we pay varies but around €10 including the tablet, 1 dog.
On one occasion we were charged a lot more, around €25 but naturally never visited that vet again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It was made mandatory because I suspect they expected too many owners wouldn't bother to treat their dogs. Doesn't apply to Funster dog owners of course but lots of irresponsible dog owners around, ask any sheep farmer.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Gonna sound a bit Joey Essex here, but is the worming practice to tackle a worm that only exists in Europe, but not the UK then ?

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We have a vet who we love and she has very reasonable charges but she's on Troyes and that's not always on our way back to the UK.

I have been charged £120 Euros for two dogs by a vet in Honfleur and 84 Euros by another Vannes.

But if you have you dog chipped, vaccinated against rabies and get the booster every year are you really the type of owner who would... "allow a pet to ingest an infected rodent" and then not take any action? Or would you ensure your dog has a worming tablet when it should have a worming tablet?

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Gonna sound a bit Joey Essex here, but is the worming practice to tackle a worm that only exists in Europe, but not the UK then ?

Here's a map

gr2.jpg

It's not something found too often in the UK but the last study was in 2010

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We just stuff the dog in the loo, then let it out after the crossing. If anyone asks, it's a stray you picked up in France/Germany etc. :)
Do you mean a stowaway?

Really?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Any vet in France is going to be charging arm & a leg money. Just like the cost of any repairs /parts there.
My nephew had his dog done by my vet last year before driving back. No charge.

Don't think so. The above OP's post is the treatment required for tapeworm.

In the UK my dogs had a worming tablet once a year. Here it is required every 3 months & entered into the vets book , signed & stamped. Additionally the Uk only requires rabies booster every 2 years whereas it is legally required yearly here.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do you mean a stowaway?

Really?
Of coarse!! Look at the facts. Last real case of rabies recorded was from a bat, and hey, bats don't have pet passports. (y) We used to go abroad with the mother in law stuffed into the loo. Wake her up when we drove out of the ferry terminal. Cheap as chips.:)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We just stuff the dog in the loo, then let it out after the crossing. If anyone asks, it's a stray you picked up in France/Germany etc. :)
Toots never quite sure if your on the wind up,would be handy if you could do that:winky:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Of coarse!! Look at the facts. Last real case of rabies recorded was from a bat, and hey, bats don't have pet passports. (y) We used to go abroad with the mother in law stuffed into the loo. Wake her up when we drove out of the ferry terminal. Cheap as chips.:)
When you say the MIL gets "stuffed in the loo" do you mean in the toilet compartment or have you especially adapted your toilet cassette for people smuggling?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

No. According to my UK vet the tapeworm treatment before returning to the UK is an amendment DEFRA insisted on when the pet passport scheme was introduced. There's no similar requirement anywhere else in Europe and in his opinion no sensible reason for the UK to insist on it.

Our dogs have tapeworm treatments every three months anyway but even this doesn't make any difference.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just booked my pup in for his passport, £76 but other vets were charging £90+

Even that's high. Our vet charged £45 for the rabies jab and the passport for each of ours.

Does your cost include a microchip as well?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does that cover the whole of Europe and do you have to renew yearly
Thks

The actual passport lasts until it's full up. The rabies jab, which is what it's all about, lasts for three years. You also have to keep the normal UK vaccinations up to date i.e. yearly boosters.

EDIT: forgot to answer your first question. It covers all countries that participate in the scheme which is all of the EU plus some. Google pet passport for a full list (y)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
So DEFRA commissioned a risk assessment on changing from the old Pet passport scheme to the accommodate the EU harmonisation.

and the report was published in November 2010...

"7.8.2Treatment

Treatment is using a one-off dose of a suitable anthelmintic, such as praziquantel or episantrel. This drug is proven safe, effective and cheap. There are few if any reports of drug resistance or adverse side effects. However, it is preferable that the drug is administered by a vet as the pet passport can then be countersigned and there is less risk of treatment being unsuccessfully administered"

But when the legislation was changed to meet EU harmonisation in July 2011 it became...

"Article 7. 2. The treatment provided for in paragraph 1 shall be administered by a veterinarian"

If you can legislate to make it compulsory for a vet to administer a drug surely you can also fix the price of that work?

We normally only pay around €25 to €30 for the worming treatment AND a health check which the vet is also signing off. You are not just paying for worming treatment. The vet is also checking your pet is fit to travel home.

Last edited:

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
think you'll find its 3 years at least thats what is in our dogs passport

We have had two pet passports for two dogs. One of them current. On both of them the expiry date was two years after the first vaccine was given.

The Defra link I posted would indicate there is no generic expiry time which to me suggests it depends on the type of vaccine that has been given.

Also from here:-

http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/pet-passport-faq-pet-travel-scheme-uk-france/

What happens if I let the rabies vaccination expire?
Some rabies vaccinations last for 2 years, others for 3 years. Make sure you know when your pet’s vaccination expires and get a re-vaccination in plenty of time. If you do forget to renew the vaccination and you do let it expire, you will need to wait the 21 days once again before you travel as it will be considered once again a first vaccination. The best thing is to keep those vaccinations up so that there are no gaps.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just checked the passport and it seems that the vaccine has a life of 3 years ( at least the one used on our dog does ) and the expiry date is dependent on that. so both correct ishh(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We pay around 26€ at two of our chosen vets. That is for both dogs and not each. We use Forges les Eaux if that side of France or Bergues if that side of France. Both vets charge one fee for both dogs. We have been to others but they charge a lot more. We provide our own Milbemax worming treatment.
do you have the contact details for those vets please?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Both of ours are three years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread