Countryfile - featuring Gloucester Services (2 Viewers)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is that the same people who have Westmoreland Services on the M6? Westmoreland southbound is better for MH parking than northbound (use the overflow carpark) but the northbound have an expensive overnight campsite.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
If it's known as Tebay Services Mrs P then yes. The M5 services are northbound only at the moment but you cannot believe you are next to a motorway:)

Some of the prices are eye-watering but the mh parking looks very good (only been in a few times with the car). There also seems to be alot of locals that use the shops.

Pity all services don't look like this:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It used to be known as Tebay... has been Westmoreland for quite a while now. Tebay services (truck stop) is still just off the motorway in Tebay itself.

If you are going to have a meal there you need to budget for it! However the farm shop has some very nice cheese and Farrer tea. John Farrer who founded the tea and coffee merchants was brother to one of my ancestors. Although the firm is still going strong it is no longer in the family :(

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yes we stayed there for 1 night last august on the way back from the Bristol balloon festival to break up the journey.nice services.
Brian & Jo

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
well worth a stop - we always set that as a target stop - very relaxing. Prices a bit more expensive but the quality is exceptional

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It used to be known as Tebay... has been Westmoreland for quite a while now. Tebay services (truck stop) is still just off the motorway in Tebay itself.

If you are going to have a meal there you need to budget for it! However the farm shop has some very nice cheese and Farrer tea. John Farrer who founded the tea and coffee merchants was brother to one of my ancestors. Although the firm is still going strong it is no longer in the family :(

Never mind all that...................it's the first place I can get(y) proper tablet(y) on my journey North and the pies in the farm shop are expensive but far too easy to eat. Agree about the price of meals Pd but at least it's good wholesome food (or it was on my last visit.)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Southbound better than north as far as food is concerned BB. Last time we were there we thought it had gone downhill a little - possibly because they were developing the M5 site and had taken their eye off the ball. I wrote and told them about the problems we'd had - if they don't know they can't put it right after all.

We usually call in on our way to and from Manchester.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Never mind all that...................it's the first place I can get(y) proper tablet(y) on my journey North and the pies in the farm shop are expensive but far too easy to eat. Agree about the price of meals Pd but at least it's good wholesome food (or it was on my last visit.)
That's it then, a definite stop on the way back. I'm going to have to try some of this flipping stuff you keep waxing lyrical about :D

I seem to remember Les drooling over the Scotch Eggs last time :)

Edit : oops must read posts properly:doh: Unless we take a diversion on the way home :wink:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Agree with Les the Scotch Eggs are without equal in the free world. I don't know what(y) sausage meat(y) they wrap the egg in but so delightful is it that I've been known to eat four at a sitting!:D (Before getting stuck into the tablet of course. The Kendal mint cake there is also mean, and I mean really mean............(y)).

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I am up and down the M6 quote a lot and I would say that food on the Northbound is better than southbound But if you arrive once shop has closed southbound ( think 10pm) you can overnight up the top for free
Belive the they have opened a new one on the M5 and also planning a few more !!!

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I am up and down the M6 quote a lot and I would say that food on the Northbound is better than southbound But if you arrive once shop has closed southbound ( think 10pm) you can overnight up the top for free
Belive the they have opened a new one on the M5 and also planning a few more !!!

Possibly I think s/b better because I need a special medical diet and they can do that going south but not north for some very strange reason.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Useful to know Cam.............Cheers!(y)
On the Northbound you can drive passed the Hotel (stayed once very posh) and get out on the service road there are some very quiet lay bys along the B road which we have used a lot.(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, remind us please, just how much you were bragging (to bb wasn't it) that you had eaten in one go????:D

33 Kgs? Well that was a bit of a:pinocchio:but the real figure remains a blur (not too far from 32Kgs).(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Is that the same people who have Westmoreland Services on the M6? Westmoreland southbound is better for MH parking than northbound (use the overflow carpark) but the northbound have an expensive overnight campsite.

Don't know whether you saw my earlier post Pd but when travelling North we drive passed the Hotel on the service road and out onto the B road, plenty of free spots and quiet too in our experience.(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes I saw BB! We tend to use campsites though.

You haven't lived Pd.........................to park up in a quiet, desolate and totally isolated spot somewhere in Europe and wake to find ...................................................

A German Womo 5 paces away with their towels out drying:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back